Speculation: What happens with Strome?

What do you think happens with Dylan Strome?

• Total voters

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
He is resigned. I think this season will determine long term viability of him staying.
While I’m a huge fan of his. His offensive talent is undeniable and he’s still so damn young.

I think he's young and talented and can be better still, but he is not as good as Kirby Dach and the Hawks will move him by the time he has arbitration rights at the latest. If, and this is a big IF, but if the Hawks plan to move on from Toews after his contract ends, then perhaps they will keep Strome around. But he needs to be a 2C, not a 3C.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I think he's young and talented and can be better still, but he is not as good as Kirby Dach and the Hawks will move him by the time he has arbitration rights at the latest. If, and this is a big IF, but if the Hawks plan to move on from Toews after his contract ends, then perhaps they will keep Strome around. But he needs to be a 2C, not a 3C.

While I agree to a point, the hawks aren’t in any position to give away young talent. Cap wise they are in a good spot for the next 2 years.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

How do they achieve that? Colliton said in one of his interviews that Toews and Dach are ahead of him.

How about this in the next year+?

DeBrincat-Dach-Kane
Kubalik-Toews-Reichel
Hagel-Strome-Kurashev/Nylander
Highmore-Kampf-Entwistle

I’m not totally sure that solves the Strome at 3C issue, but that’s okay skill/speed for him. I mean, Alex Tuch carries a third line with straight up fourth liners. I think the Hawks could maybe look to Strome to do something similar?

Last edited:

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Re-signed to a bridge and it depends. His play will tell the story.

add on: he'll probably be traded, but he may be with the Hawks for a couple more seasons. If the Hawks feel that Kurashev, Suter or Barrett are ready, that will speed things up. And, of course, if another team covets him (offer we can't refuse), he gone.

Last edited:

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
How do they achieve that? Colliton said in one of his interviews that Toews and Dach are ahead of him.

How about this in the next year+?

DeBrincat-Dach-Kane
Kubalik-Toews-Reichel
Hagel-Strome-Kurashev/Nylander
Highmore-Kampf-Entwistle

I’m not totally sure that solves the Strome at 3C issue, but that’s okay skill/speed for him. I mean, Alex Tuch carries a third line with straight up fourth liners. I think the Hawks could maybe look to Strome to do something similar?
The problem is I don't think Strome is suited to playing with fourth liners. He excels with higher skill players. He had a tough time in a bottom role in Arizona and shone that same year when he came to Chicago.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
What I think will happen: Signed but will be traded in a season or so

What should happen: Keep him since Toews is already 32 and wont be there forever.

Unless we get Shane Wright next draft from a timeline standpoint trading Strome is dumb. 3 years from now Toews will be on the edge of retirement and if Strome is traded who do you have as the 2C after Dach? Barratt? David Kampf? Kurashev? Nobody capable thats who.

Strome is young enough to fit the timeline and trading him now or next season only creates a gaping hole in our lineup that we would be unable to fill in 2 years.

Team has spent a decade+ looking for a reliable 2C (Hayes, Kane, Anisimov, Bolland, Hanzeus, Richards, Teuvo, Schmaltz, etc) and now the moment they get one they want to trade him. Dach will be our only good center 3 years from now if Strome is traded.

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
What I think will happen: Signed but will be traded in a season or so

What should happen: Keep him since Toews is already 32 and wont be there forever.

Unless we get Shane Wright next draft from a timeline standpoint trading Strome is dumb. 3 years from now Toews will be on the edge of retirement and if Strome is traded who do you have as the 2C after Dach? Barratt? David Kampf? Kurashev? Nobody capable thats who.

Strome is young enough to fit the timeline and trading him now or next season only creates a gaping hole in our lineup that we would be unable to fill in 2 years.

Team has spent a decade+ looking for a reliable 2C (Hayes, Kane, Anisimov, Bolland, Hanzeus, Richards, Teuvo, Schmaltz, etc) and now the moment they get one they want to trade him. Dach will be our only good center 3 years from now if Strome is traded.

I agree. And if the concern is that you don’t want him playing with bottom-sixers, then you may need to consider bumping Toews down now.

Maybe the Toews line is technically the third line if you want Dach playing big minutes and with Kane? We almost saw that play out in the playoffs. Obviously you don’t give Toews typical 3C ice time, but maybe that’s just the role he plays going forward?

So like

??-Dach-Kane
DeBrincat-Strome-??
Kubalik-Toews-Janmark

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The problem is I don't think Strome is suited to playing with fourth liners. He excels with higher skill players. He had a tough time in a bottom role in Arizona and shone that same year when he came to Chicago.

Strome is a possession guy I'd say. Problem is the Chicago Blackhawks are more about speed and less about possession. That's not necessarily bad but just how the team is structured. So Strome is just a bad fit. He's still a pretty bad skater so you wanna give him wingers who are strong on the puck and who aren't just effective on the rush or on the forecheck. Nylander really killed Strome in the playoffs because he probably lost the puck every single time he got it from Strome. Problem is that most Blackhawks winger may be better than Nylander but they're not necessarily better fits for Strome.

If the plan is to keep Strome then should play him with wingers like the three Kane, Kubalik and Kurashev, maybe Shaw, Kampf or Hagel. The rest I wouldn't see as great fits for Strome.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I agree. And if the concern is that you don’t want him playing with bottom-sixers, then you may need to consider bumping Toews down now.

Maybe the Toews line is technically the third line if you want Dach playing big minutes and with Kane? We almost saw that play out in the playoffs. Obviously you don’t give Toews typical 3C ice time, but maybe that’s just the role he plays going forward?

So like

??-Dach-Kane
DeBrincat-Strome-??
Kubalik-Toews-Janmark

I know everybody wants to play DeBrincat with Strome because they combined for a few nice goals but that's not an ideal solution. Strome likes to drive possession. His dream would probably be to play for a coach like DeBoer who's system is all about tiring out the opponents with endless cycling. DeBrincat is an excellent player but not exactly built for possession hockey. In my humble view, Colliton should keep DeBrincat away from Strome and vice versa.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I know everybody wants to play DeBrincat with Strome because they combined for a few nice goals but that's not an ideal solution. Strome likes to drive possession. His dream would probably be to play for a coach like DeBoer who's system is all about tiring out the opponents with endless cycling. DeBrincat is an excellent player but not exactly built for possession hockey. In my humble view, Colliton should keep DeBrincat away from Strome and vice versa.

So how should it work? You are always very quick to say every suggestion from others is the wrong way, but I haven’t seen you make one suggestion of your own.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So how should it work? You are always very quick to say every suggestion from others is the wrong way, but I haven’t seen you make one suggestion of your own.

I did already make a suggestion who could work with Strome. I think the team has to decide if they wanna keep Strome or not. I think they should because good Centers like him are hard to find. But if they do keep him, they have to let him do his thing, give him wingers to play with and stop trying to fit a square into a circle.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
DeBrincat and Strome literally both had down seasons being away from eachother that carried into the playoffs until surprise the moment they are back together they start connecting on plays and looked dangerous again. Dont break what isnt broken thats a small brain move. Strome and DeBrincat were at their most dangerous when they were together

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Signed.

Flat cap world 2C might be easy and cheap to get what would mean Strome is out.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Seeing how clueless Stan is then he gets signed to an inflated contract and is part of the long term plan. He should be traded asap...

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Drive possession? What?

Reactions: Pez68 and Malaka

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
likely a bridge deal, not sure if he is part of the long term plan or not and that likely depends on the development of young players like Shalunov, Wise, Kurashev, Barratt.

I like Strome too some degree but he has to have the right mix of Forwards to play with and IMO that is a Shooter/goalscorer and a quick possession player with hustle and passing skills.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
likely a bridge deal, not sure if he is part of the long term plan or not and that likely depends on the development of young players like Shalunov, Wise, Kurashev, Barratt.

I like Strome too some degree but he has to have the right mix of Forwards to play with and IMO that is a Shooter/goalscorer and a quick possession player with hustle and passing skills.

Shalunov is 28 in january he isnt leaving Russia anymore, Wise is looking pretty disappointing but granted maybe the NCAA was never the best path for him, Kurashev and Barratt dont really have a ceiling of a 2C. Only makes sense to trade Strome at this point is if they somehow get a top C prospect that forces him out since we will have a giant hole at the 2C spot. Once Toews is cooked we would have gone from having 3 good centers to only having Dach.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Shalunov is 28 in january he isnt leaving Russia anymore, Wise is looking pretty disappointing but granted maybe the NCAA was never the best path for him, Kurashev and Barratt dont really have a ceiling of a 2C. Only makes sense to trade Strome at this point is if they somehow get a top C prospect that forces him out since we will have a giant hole at the 2C spot. Once Toews is cooked we would have gone from having 3 good centers to only having Dach.

I never said trade Strome and in fact I do think that in the best interest of the hawks future Strome should stay.

I will however state that Kurashev does have a 2C ceiling, however IF Strome stays with the hawks and at C then Kurashev likely moves to the wing which may end up as the better place for him anyway...

Reactions: bwana63

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Wonder if Stan is giving Strome the Crawford treatment where he put an offer out at the start of offseason, Strome declined and Stan stopped negotiating and will basically force Strome into same position Perlini is in..The fact that Kubalik was inked to a multi year deal no problem and Strome still has no contract shows how the org feels about him being in the mix long term, at least at this point in time...Best guess for me is he gets 1 year deal at some cheap AAV and is probably traded at some point like Perlini...not for the package Perlini got because Strome is a top 9 center and Perlini is a 13F but it feels like the same situation is unfolding...

Last edited:

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
It’s still not clear what Strome can be in the NHL. He could probably carve out a career as a 3rd line center but he hasn’t done enough to warrant being a 2c. If he is asking 2c kind of money I have no problem with Stan playing hardball. The Hawks have all the leverage right now.

I hope Strome caves in and comes into the season pissed off and wanting to show the Hawks he is worth what he is asking. The guy seems to show no emotion on the ice which I think is holding him back. Maybe this will help the Hawks see if he has it in him to be that kind of player.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It taking this long to get a deal done is making me think he's seriously being shopped to other teams, who'll be able to negotiate with their cap space in mind.

Not to say it'll happen, but I can't imagine any other holdup at this point other than trying to deal him.

And count me as one of those who feels that we're pretty solid down the middle without him for the foreseeable future. Obviously we got Toews and Dach right now, but I look at a guy like Kurashev and think he could be a respectable 2C in a few years time; the Hawks scouts seem to really like him given those awards they handed out to prospects the other day.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
It taking this long to get a deal done is making me think he's seriously being shopped to other teams, who'll be able to negotiate with their cap space in mind.

Not to say it'll happen, but I can't imagine any other holdup at this point other than trying to deal him.

And count me as one of those who feels that we're pretty solid down the middle without him for the foreseeable future. Obviously we got Toews and Dach right now, but I look at a guy like Kurashev and think he could be a respectable 2C in a few years time; the Hawks scouts seem to really like him given those awards they handed out to prospects the other day.

My guess the holdup on the contract is the hawks want multiple years and strome wants a one year deal. Arbitration eligibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad