What could greatly improve this team?

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Get a new GM.

A new GM that actually has killer instinct for making moves and isn't afraid to make trades to improve his team from beyond a "muh futures" standpoint.
Also helps if the new GM doesn't hire useless coaches just because he coached his son in college
Also also helps if the new GM is willing to rightfully fire a coach if he has multiple 10-game losing streaks during his tenure.
This Hexy hasnt made one trade other then Coburn type trades. Lets see him make a hockey deal for a player that adds something to the roster.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
This Hexy hasnt made one trade other then Coburn type trades. Lets see him make a hockey deal for a player that adds something to the roster.

I'm interested to see how Hextall fares when it comes to actually having to add pieces to the roster. Selling players off is easier than building.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Wouldn't mind getting a "good" vet on the backend. Amac is just absolute trash, and can't be that guy. Petry would be solid replacement. We all know we need a goalie, but I highly doubt Hexy is gonna bust his load and grab someone who would stall Hart/Sandstrom even more.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Wouldn't mind getting a "good" vet on the backend. Amac is just absolute trash, and can't be that guy. Petry would be solid replacement. We all know we need a goalie, but I highly doubt Hexy is gonna bust his load and grab someone who would stall Hart/Sandstrom even more.
Exactly

Reactions: Sweetbutt

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
This is starting year 5 and if IIRC Hextall has 1 "help the team" trade under his belt IE Petr Mrazek.
Won't count it as a W or an L.

He had such trading promise that first year with Coburn & Timonen trades and then showing some killer instinct to trade up to get Konecny. It's been years since then.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Pronger made like 500k in real actual dollars at that point right?

I don't remember league minimum when he signed. I do know that there was a huge disparity between salary and hit, so it was quite advantageous. They got to the cap floor and qualified for revenue sharing while spending little.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I don't think moving Grossmann, Pronger, Rinaldo and Vinny was easy.
They were easy to do. If yotes have the space theyyll take your garbage for picks or whatever and Lombardi dealt with Ron because they were buddies and Lombardi was getting clipped so he helped out a buddy is all.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It really is time for Hextall to make a few moves to help the current club. It might not make a massive difference but to the players, it shows Mgt is trying to make them better when they know they need help.

We have assets coming out that ass and there won't be room for them all. instead of letting that saates value diminish in value, use a few of them to help the current team.

And no, I am no saying to "go all in" or trade away top prospects for rentals. But trading away a prospect and a pick for Petry(for example) who is signed for 3 years, then that is the type of deal to explore. You keep him for 1-2 years until a kid pushes him out....and then re-coup most of what you spent to get him.

I was hoping for more from Hextall this summer to "flick the switch". It looked promising when we added JVR. And then we added no Dman, have added Pickard by waivers, and now AHLer Knight.

Oh boy!

And we have 8 million in cap space being wasted. You can't take it with you!

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
May as well trade Sanheim for Petry since Sanheim would be the guy demoted to the Phantoms to make room for him. Then send Vorobyev to the Blues for Bozak. There's that pesky cap space taken care of.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I would prefer a different approach. Play the kids and then make tweaks.

Do we need a defensemen? Maybe, but who can you realistically acquire that has more upside than Sanheim (or Myers)? You have to play them or we are going to be asking ourselves the same question next year- What are they? I didn't agree with Sanheim's usage last year, but I was willing to accept it as a learning year provided he was playing top 4 minutes this year. So far it looks like more of the same- #6 minutes, limited special teams work, benched late in games, etc. When is it going to change? You can't play him 14 minutes a night and wonder why he isn't producing on a consistent basis. Play him close to 20 minutes a night over an extension period of time. You're either going to see his real potential show or you are going to realize that he's not the answer at this time and it's time to make a move to improve the club. Adding another body just makes evaluating him (and eventually Myers) even more difficult than it already is.

Everyone but Hak knows MacDonald and Hagg are not top 4 defenders, let alone both of them together. It's a disaster not waiting to happen. It is happening. Not only do they take a beating night in and night out, but look at who they are blocking! Gudas should be in the top 4. That should not even be up for debate. Is Petry really that much better than Gudas? He's not exactly cheap, Montreal is not just going to give him away, and you can pretty much cut his point totals in half if he comes here.

I just don't get what they are doing. Draft and develop has been the mantra of Hextall. They have drafted as well as anyone with him overseeing the process. Why are we not seeing the results? You can't treat these kids with baby gloves. You gotta let them play. You have to encourage them to make plays, not not make mistakes. You have to be willing to live with mistakes knowing that the good plays are going to outweigh the negative ones.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I can see why people hate being an attorney. I'm interested in what you used a law degree for an alternative career path.

After practicing law for a firm for 2 years & hating it, I conducted (and decided) administrative law hearings for a state agency for 2 years; spent 4 years as a TS/SCI intelligence briefer for the federal government; & now perform intelligence research & analysis in the private sector.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I would prefer a different approach. Play the kids and then make tweaks.

Do we need a defensemen? Maybe, but who can you realistically acquire that has more upside than Sanheim (or Myers)? You have to play them or we are going to be asking ourselves the same question next year- What are they? I didn't agree with Sanheim's usage last year, but I was willing to accept it as a learning year provided he was playing top 4 minutes this year. So far it looks like more of the same- #6 minutes, limited special teams work, benched late in games, etc. When is it going to change? You can't play him 14 minutes a night and wonder why he isn't producing on a consistent basis. Play him close to 20 minutes a night over an extension period of time. You're either going to see his real potential show or you are going to realize that he's not the answer at this time and it's time to make a move to improve the club. Adding another body just makes evaluating him (and eventually Myers) even more difficult than it already is.

Everyone but Hak knows MacDonald and Hagg are not top 4 defenders, let alone both of them together. It's a disaster not waiting to happen. It is happening. Not only do they take a beating night in and night out, but look at who they are blocking! Gudas should be in the top 4. That should not even be up for debate. Is Petry really that much better than Gudas? He's not exactly cheap, Montreal is not just going to give him away, and you can pretty much cut his point totals in half if he comes here.

I just don't get what they are doing. Draft and develop has been the mantra of Hextall. They have drafted as well as anyone with him overseeing the process. Why are we not seeing the results? You can't treat these kids with baby gloves. You gotta let them play. You have to encourage them to make plays, not not make mistakes. You have to be willing to live with mistakes knowing that the good plays are going to outweigh the negative ones.

Preach.

3hJXoY.gif

Now, if we only had:

1. Real reporters to challenge Hexy on these issues, and
2. Real season-ticket holders who had the common sense and the freedom to challenge Hexy on these issues in a town-hall kind of setting

... maybe we could get some answers.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
After practicing law for a firm for 2 years & hating it, I conducted (and decided) administrative law hearings for a state agency for 2 years; spent 4 years as a TS/SCI intelligence briefer for the federal government; & now perform intelligence research & analysis in the private sector.

sent you a PM.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maybe Hextall should just be patient and see what develops, it is 5 games, not 2 months.
There no point in making major moves until Hart is ready, and minor moves are best made patiently, not out of desperation.
Does anyone think Mrazek was worth a 3rd rd pick?

For the Flyers, draft picks have more value than most teams (since we draft better), so Hextall should be conservative about spending them.

If AMac doesn't get back to last year's level (which is all they really need from him, he's like Lehtera, a placeholder), then look for a low cost veteran defenseman who can fill in until Friedman/Myers are ready to be called up. Remember, Morin returns in February and you'll want to play him in March, if only to see what he's got.

Petry won't be cheap, he's a #1 D-man at 30 with three relatively inexpensive years left.
What do you think Montreal would ask? Myers plus?

McDonah and Miller cost Namestnikov, defenseman Libor Hajek, forward Brett Howden, 2018 first-round pick, 2019 conditional first-round pick.
Ian Cole from the Ottawa Senators in exchange for forward Nick Moutrey and a third-round pick
Nick Holden from New York Rangers for defenseman Rob O'Gara and third-round pick
Michal Kempny from Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for third-round pick
Jamie Oleksiak from the Dallas Stars for conditional fourth-round pick
Sami Vatanen, conditional 3rd-round pick from Anaheim Ducks for forwards Adam Henrique, Joseph Blandisi, 2018 3rd-round pick
2016-17:
D Brendan Smith to New York Rangers for third-round pick in 2017 Draft, second-round pick in 2018 Draft
D Kevin Shattenkirk and G Pheonix Copley to Washington Capitals for 2017 first-round pick, conditional draft picks and forwards Zach Sanford and Brad Malone
D Ron Hainsey to Pittsburgh Penguins for F Danny Kristo, second-round pick in 2017 Draft
D Michael Stone to Calgary Flames for third-round pick in 2017 Draft, conditional fifth-round pick in 2018

A trade to upgrade AMac would probably cost a 3rd rd pick plus a sweetener.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Maybe Hextall should just be patient and see what develops, it is 5 games, not 2 months.
There no point in making major moves until Hart is ready, and minor moves are best made patiently, not out of desperation.
Does anyone think Mrazek was worth a 3rd rd pick?

For the Flyers, draft picks have more value than most teams (since we draft better), so Hextall should be conservative about spending them.

If AMac doesn't get back to last year's level (which is all they really need from him, he's like Lehtera, a placeholder), then look for a low cost veteran defenseman who can fill in until Friedman/Myers are ready to be called up. Remember, Morin returns in February and you'll want to play him in March, if only to see what he's got.

Petry won't be cheap, he's a #1 D-man at 30 with three relatively inexpensive years left.
What do you think Montreal would ask? Myers plus?

McDonah and Miller cost Namestnikov, defenseman Libor Hajek, forward Brett Howden, 2018 first-round pick, 2019 conditional first-round pick.
Ian Cole from the Ottawa Senators in exchange for forward Nick Moutrey and a third-round pick
Nick Holden from New York Rangers for defenseman Rob O'Gara and third-round pick
Michal Kempny from Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for third-round pick
Jamie Oleksiak from the Dallas Stars for conditional fourth-round pick
Sami Vatanen, conditional 3rd-round pick from Anaheim Ducks for forwards Adam Henrique, Joseph Blandisi, 2018 3rd-round pick
2016-17:
D Brendan Smith to New York Rangers for third-round pick in 2017 Draft, second-round pick in 2018 Draft
D Kevin Shattenkirk and G Pheonix Copley to Washington Capitals for 2017 first-round pick, conditional draft picks and forwards Zach Sanford and Brad Malone
D Ron Hainsey to Pittsburgh Penguins for F Danny Kristo, second-round pick in 2017 Draft
D Michael Stone to Calgary Flames for third-round pick in 2017 Draft, conditional fifth-round pick in 2018

A trade to upgrade AMac would probably cost a 3rd rd pick plus a sweetener.

I agree. It's only 5 games. The last thing you want to make is a panic move. They just need better goaltending and for the young guys to step up. That also includes Myers forcing his way onto the team by dominating the AHL.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Preach.

3hJXoY.gif

Now, if we only had:

1. Real reporters to challenge Hexy on these issues, and
2. Real season-ticket holders who had the common sense and the freedom to challenge Hexy on these issues in a town-hall kind of setting

... maybe we could get some answers.

this godam gif gets me EVERY time... hahaahahah.....

that baby just makes me belly laff...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
JUST GET A DAMN GOALIE.

Elliott is bad, Picard is a backup, Neuvirth is fragile, Lyon is ???.
No wonder Hextall is being patient, you could put an allstar team in front of these goalies and miss the playoffs!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00