What could greatly improve this team?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
In the interest of conversation/discussion let's exclude the firing of coaching. I'm curious to know people's thoughts and examples of what would help improve this team. A different scheme, a more aggressive PK, a different powerplay setup, trades, bringing up different roster players (lets try and exclude P. Myers for the moment).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Time.

Need to get JVR back.
Need for Sanheim to keep developing.
Need time for Lindblom - Patrick - TK to jell.
Need time for the 2 PP (5 kids 23 or younger) to jell.
Need time for Hart to be NHL ready.
Need time for some of the LHV kids to be NHL ready.

Sure we could trade for a top 4 defenseman, but they're expensive and we'd have to hear about the kids are being block the next four years.

Reactions: DaphneLion

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Time.

Need to get JVR back.
Need for Sanheim to keep developing.
Need time for Lindblom - Patrick - TK to jell.
Need time for the 2 PP (5 kids 23 or younger) to jell.
Need time for Hart to be NHL ready.
Need time for some of the LHV kids to be NHL ready.

Sure we could trade for a top 4 defenseman, but they're expensive and we'd have to hear about the kids are being block the next four years.

Am I correct for assuming most of that should happen by the end of the year besides Hart and the LHV kids?

Who are the LHV kids replacing? Most of the roster at least forward wise looks pretty good and personally Hagg isn't bad for a bottom defending pair if MacDonald could get blasted off in the moon.

If Trouba could be acquired (without losing much currently) I'd be fine with hearing people complain since I think the roster would be greatly improved.

Reactions: wankstifier

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Am I correct for assuming most of that should happen by the end of the year besides Hart and the LHV kids?

Who are the LHV kids replacing? Most of the roster at least forward wise looks pretty good and personally Hagg isn't bad for a bottom defending pair if MacDonald could get blasted off in the moon.

If Trouba could be acquired (without losing much currently) I'd be fine with hearing people complain since I think the roster would be greatly improved.

Friedman/Myers/Morin - AMac
Rubtsov - Knight/Lehtera
Twarynski could push Laughton and Lindblom at LW or Simmonds at RW
Lyon, Stolarz are the insurance we need if Elliott looks geriatric and when Neuvirth goes on IR once again.

Problem with Trouba is what Hamilton cost, the equivalent of Provorov and TK.
I don't think he'd come cheap I'd be looking for a veteran with 1-2 years left that a team wants to dump who can still play.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
He’s the best defenseman on the Flyers. He should be the leader in 5v5 minutes, no?

I won't disagree with you there, I've made a few points that I think he should get some PK time as well. If only for practice and in possible injury situations.

Reactions: wankstifier

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
This team needs another top defenseman and not a rookie but someone that’s relatively established. Sanheim and Myers looks like they will be great in the future but they need sheltering. Even Provorov and Ghost could use another guy when they struggle to help.

It will cost a big payment in cap and prospects but this team isn’t going anywhere anytime soon without another defenseman.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Rubtsov - Knight/Lehtera
Lyon, Stolarz are the insurance we need if Elliott looks geriatric and when Neuvirth goes on IR once again.

I don't think he'd come cheap I'd be looking for a veteran with 1-2 years left that a team wants to dump who can still play.

Lethera I don't think has really been a problem, in fact he's looked pretty good in my eyes this season. So really you're only talking about possibly replacing AMac that would result in improvement.

Admittedly I don't know much about Shattenkirk but he's a possible RHD that could be a replacement for a few years if he wants out of New York. The question would be whether he's a fit or not?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Any team that has bottom ten goalies will be stuck in mediocrity, of the teams that made the playoffs last year, Flyers were 22 and Penguins 25, next team was NJ at 18.
Of the teams that didn't make the playoffs, Florida #7, Dallas #15 had the highest S%.

So while you don't need great goal tending, you do need goaltenders in the top half of the league.
Until we get them, we're not going anywhere.

Basically Hextall is building around Hart (and Sandstrom as his backup, and Ustimenko, Federov and Ercsson as insurance policies).

Does anyone think Lyon and Stolarz can realistically be top half of the league starting goaltenders?

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Limiting farmer's minutes
Splitting up Hagg and farmer
Using Ghost for the full 2 minutes of the powerplay (Sanheim as second Dman on the second unit)
Penalty kill units should include Coots/Laughton/Raffl/Giroux/Torg/Lindblom and Provy/Ghost/Gudas/Sanheim - all in order of minute usage. Farmer and Hagg have too low of a hockey iq to play the overly passive formation we have now, without them they should be able to effectively play a more aggressive and faster pace scheme.
No Hak shell
Replace Hak with Gritty

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Any team that has bottom ten goalies will be stuck in mediocrity, of the teams that made the playoffs last year, Flyers were 22 and Penguins 25, next team was NJ at 18.
Of the teams that didn't make the playoffs, Florida #7, Dallas #15 had the highest S%.

So while you don't need great goal tending, you do need goaltenders in the top half of the league.
Until we get them, we're not going anywhere.

Basically Hextall is building around Hart (and Sandstrom as his backup, and Ustimenko, Federov and Ercsson as insurance policies).

Does anyone think Lyon and Stolarz can realistically be top half of the league starting goaltenders?

Steve Mason posted pretty good stats on this team a few years ago, do you think the Flyers should try and acquire him as a re-tread? The current nucleus of Elliot and Neuvy hasn't/won't work.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Steve Mason posted pretty good stats on this team a few years ago, do you think the Flyers should try and acquire him as a re-tread? The current nucleus of Elliot and Neuvy hasn't/won't work.

I think Mason has had enough of hockey. He considered retiring before and there are rumors he’s considering retirement now.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
This team needs another top defenseman and not a rookie but someone that’s relatively established. Sanheim and Myers looks like they will be great in the future but they need sheltering. Even Provorov and Ghost could use another guy when they struggle to help.

It will cost a big payment in cap and prospects but this team isn’t going anywhere anytime soon without another defenseman.
I think I have to sadly concur. The few vets we have on D are the last guys we want teaching new kids: an overpaid palsy patient and a neutered goon.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Rubtsov - Knight/Lehtera

Trouba won’t cost anywhere close to Hamilton, he’s a UFA after next year. Hamilton is on a great contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad