What could greatly improve this team?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Can you give some actual names and expected trade prices for the goalie and dman who will turn the Hakstol-coached team into a contender?

Craig anderson. for Tanner Lyzicnaslkdnf;lkasfkj . Sucks to lose tanner, but you have to be careful with those college guys . Meanwhile Ottawa loves themselves some college guys. This is a perfect guy to get for the short term.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Can you give some actual names and expected trade prices for the goalie and dman who will turn this Hakstol-coached team into a contender?
I have said before that a Hak-coached team won't be a contender as he has yet to show the ability to adjust on the fly and purposely plays lesser play, more minutes than better players.

So no, I can't.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Which leads me to the biggest complaint I have about Hextalls plan. If you want to build a defense from scratch, get these guys to the NHL as soon as possible to start that learning curve especially if you have no intention to bring in competent vets to help the transition. Prime years of other players are just being wasted now.

Carolina tried that, it worked so well they went out and got 3 veteran defensemen this offseason (Hamilton, De Haan, TVR)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think TOI necessarily reflects Hak's thinking. For example Couturier plays more minutes than giroux or voracek. Does anyone think Couturier is better than those 2? I think the "Kids" have done just fine. I don't think they would be any different with or without another capable dman. Sanheim's confidence this year is a prime example.

Couts is definitely better than Voracek, not even close.
He's even with Giroux, there is more than scoring in hockey, there is preventing scoring.
Couts plays more because he fills more roles.

Reactions: hatcher

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
lets make a list of who you like. and not just hockey players but of people in general. Family? Pets? Satan?
I meant doughty was never this sad like Provy. Why are you such a smart ass these days dude? I loved everywhere in the world and I'm the sweetest man until you f*** with me which never happens.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Craig anderson. for Tanner Lyzicnaslkdnf;lkasfkj . Sucks to lose tanner, but you have to be careful with those college guys . Meanwhile Ottawa loves themselves some college guys. This is a perfect guy to get for the short term.
Craig Anderson now or 2016?

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
You mean the Drew Doughty who in his first 8 games of his 3rd year had only 1 assist and a negative corsi, including one in the 30s, in 5 of those games even though he was being sheltered as an offensive defenseman. Zone starts those eight games for Doughty 58% offensive vs 42%. Provorov so far 41.5% vs 58.5%. 2010-11 Los Angeles Kings Schedule and Results | Hockey-Reference.com
He is 8 times the player and I'm not saying that to knock provy. Provy will be good in 3 years time.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
What would greatly improve this team is if we put out our least producing forwards in the final moments of tie games...

giphy.gif

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Craig Anderson now or 2016?

Yeah he didn't look good at all when the Flyers played Ottawa.

I do think acquiring a better goalie for the short term (if possible) would certainly be ideal. Seems like everything just winds up in the net. I think it'll be very difficult to find a short term netminder though.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I didnt at all. Fancy stats dont show the truth. Provy isnt in the class of player but how many are. Doughty plays D first then O and if you want championships thats the only way.
You said Doughty has never struggled as much as Provorov and I proved you wrong. He is one of my favorite players and have been following him since his first olympics and he absolutely had teririble stretches in his first few years in the league as he learned. And he was put into a much easier transition to being a #1 than Provorov. I don’t know if Provorov will be as good but it is ridiculous to gloss over the fact great defenseman struggle in their first few years.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
You said Doughty has never struggled as much as Provorov and I proved you wrong. He is one of my favorite players and have been following him since his first olympics and he absolutely had teririble stretches in his first few years in the league as he learned. And he was put into a much easier transition to being a #1 than Provorov. I don’t know if Provorov will be as good but it is ridiculous to gloss over the fact great defenseman struggle in their first few years.
Fancy stats dont prove shit. I watch LA because they still have a fun team to watch and its my kinda city. Doughty is awesome and no one touches him in this league. Provy will be solid too.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
No one sai
You'd have to be one of the stupidest mother****ers to walk gods green Earth to think that we should worry about Provorovs future because of the first 6 games of his 3rd NHL season.
d that but isnt it funny its always the top players on this team that somehow f*** everything up but they score some points so they are allowed bad play HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Fancy stats dont prove ****. I watch LA because they still have a fun team to watch and its my kinda city. Doughty is awesome and no one touches him in this league. Provy will be solid too.
Keep moving those posts. We were talking Doughty year 3 not today.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Keep moving those posts. We were talking Doughty year 3 not today.
Exactly he was solid and didnt make the stupid mistakes these guys are making. He might not be what he is today but he had flash and took the body hard and was intense. Provy is flat and looks sad right now and we cant have this happen.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Exactly he was solid and didnt make the stupid mistakes these guys are making. He might not be what he is today but he had flash and took the body hard and was intense. Provy is flat and looks sad right now and we cant have this happen.
You have a great memory that you can remember how he performed at the beginning of 2010 season.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
When evaluating players do it by 1/4 of seasons 20 games . The thread of every game, over analyzing each move , mistake , or good play is just moronic . He should have turned this way he should have shot there man that was his fault , what was the coach thinking . I do not waste my time on those threads the nit picking and negativity drives me away from those threads . I'm not just a Philly , Jets fan i'm a fan of the game it's self , not a fan of over analyzing or micro managing that stuff drives me nuts. Several on here might say that's a short drive , it might be but i sleep well at night .

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
You'd have to be one of the stupidest mother****ers to walk gods green Earth to think that we should worry about Provorovs future because of the first 6 games of his 3rd NHL season.
...What do ya think about our wonderful goaltending as of this present MOMENT?
It's f***ing ridiculous and I still think Mzarek was a upgrade on tomato cans Elliott,Neuvirth,Stolarz,Lyon and Pickard...If the Flyers are going to compete for a playoff spot every year (Let alone a Stanley Cup)...we need a god damn competent backstopper NOW!
Sick and tired of the song and dance with waiting for Carter and Sandstrom!
Moose's confidence is broke from getting pulled last night...so I guess it's waiver Pickard's turn!
What a nightmare!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
...What do ya think about our wonderful goaltending as of this present MOMENT?
It's ****ing ridiculous and I still think Mzarek was a upgrade on tomato cans Elliott,Neuvirth,Stolarz,Lyon and Pickard...If the Flyers are going to compete for a playoff spot every year (Let alone a Stanley Cup)...we need a god damn competent backstopper NOW!
Sick and tired of the song and dance with waiting for Carter and Sandstrom!
Moose's confidence is broke from getting pulled last night...so I guess it's waiver Pickard's turn!
What a nightmare!

The goaltending situation is very grim.

Neuvirth is clearly a better goaltender than Mrazek but he's going to injure himself every 5-10 starts or so.

Pickard seems like a capable backup, but not someone you want starting regularly. I think both Stolarz and Lyon will be in this mold as well.

Elliott looks cooked, and honestly, he has since January of last season BEFORE his groin injury. I think we got the last good half of a season out of him and he is likely out of the league pretty soon.

Hart or Sandstrom are really our only hope at the moment. This needs to be addressed so neither have to be rushed at the expense of their long-term development. I think we need to make a play for Varlamov, Rinne or Bobrovsky next summer. I'm not worried about blocking Hart. I'd rather have too many good goalies than not enough.

Reactions: Tripod

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
The goaltending situation is very grim.

Neuvirth is clearly a better goaltender than Mrazek but he's going to injure himself every 5-10 starts or so.

Pickard seems like a capable backup, but not someone you want starting regularly. I think both Stolarz and Lyon will be in this mold as well.

Elliott looks cooked, and honestly, he has since January of last season BEFORE his groin injury. I think we got the last good half of a season out of him and he is likely out of the league pretty soon.

Hart or Sandstrom are really our only hope at the moment. This needs to be addressed so neither have to be rushed at the expense of their long-term development. I think we need to make a play for Varlamov, Rinne or Bobrovsky next summer. I'm not worried about blocking Hart. I'd rather have too many good goalies than not enough.

Anyone who believed that Elliott was anything more than a product of his system is crazy. Just like Robert Esche was. They worked for Hitchcock's system. I am pretty sure most goalies would. It's not indicative of their potential success elsewhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->