What could greatly improve this team?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Well for one, I included the qualifier, "through the first five games," which you once again cut out. That's certainly some context right there.

And "unproductive" is an apt term for Konecny through 5 games-- who, btw, I included in a group of four, but you are acting like I was referring to alone.

And I certainly am disappointed that Konecny has gone the first 5 games with 0 goals and 1 assist, and -4.

I'm not sure why you're desperate to substitute the more blanket term "bad" for the actual, more specific words I used; I guess because it fits your argument better that I'm being hyperbolic even though you are the one who changed what I said to be more extreme than it was.

Anyway if you aren't disappointed by TK's lack of production over the first 5 games, good for you, but I am and I think it's completely justifiable. I think you're nitpicking and being overly defensive of TK through his first 5 games. Never said he wouldn't or couldn't start producing. And IMO they need it.

Are you a lawyer by chance? You seem stuck on arguing semantics.

I singled Konecny out because I think his play has been more than adequate compared to the other three.

I fail to see what those terms you use do to enhance or change what your expectations are for him on ice.

Reactions: Amorgus and Tripod

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with how TK is playing, other than pure bad luck.

He’s literally hit 4-5 posts already and has looked very good outside of that. If he continues playing exactly as he has been (with the only adjustment being shooting even more than he currently is) then the points will start coming in bunches.

Patrick has been less impressive but there’s zero cause for concern. Some players start hot, some start cold, and either way the sample size is wayyyyy too small to matter.

We have real problems to worry about. No reason to make others up out of thin air.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Are you a lawyer by chance? You seem stuck on arguing semantics.

I singled Konecny out because I think his play has been more than adequate compared to the other three.

I fail to see what those terms you use do to enhance or change what your expectations are for him on ice.

My expectations are for him to improve and the Flyers are going to need more than 0 goals and 1 assist for TK every 5 games if they are to improve as a team. Remember, the thread was about what the Flyers need to do to improve, and that was what my post was about. 1 point in 5 games and -4 is not going to help them improve, regardless of what you think about his play in general.

Anyway, I do think he'll improve, and I'm more worried about Patrick and Lindblom.

And yes, I went to law school and passed the bar, but I've used it for an alternative career path. I practiced as an attorney for under 2 years. Hated it.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I wonder if the core vets have written off Hakstol and his staff? The bunch talk the right stuff but then don't show it on the ice. Just a hunch but I think that they want him and most of his staff gone.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Is is you who is a lawyer too? Or was it @Jtown.

LWN7A.gif.a724bb1859fe21957eb54b36bc398d1c.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I wonder if the core vets have written off Hakstol and his staff? The bunch talk the right stuff but then don't show it on the ice. Just a hunch but I think that they want him and most of his staff gone.

You mean the same team that was buried last year and rallied to get 98 points.
Maybe in February but 5 games into the season? Kinda doubtful.

smoochy

Oct 12, 2018
Would you trade for Sergie Bobrovsky as a rental? I know he wants big $ to re-sign somewhere, and we have no interest in doing that. But this season if we had a Vezina starter back there, could make us a threat. I would trade say Brian Elliott + next years 1st Round pick + Macdonald (cap dump) for Bobrovsky. We dont necesarilly need another 1st round pick as our pool is deep. Now i know thats an expensive rental. But our Goalie tandem this year would look a hell of a lot better. Columbus also doesnt want to lose him for nothing, so getting a 1st round pick would be good for them. And Especially if Nuevirth gets healthy again. And we can always trade one of Pickard, Lyon, Stolarz and a acquire another mid round pick. and With JVR healthy again, and a vezina goalie back there, if things start to gel, we could go far this season. But i really believe a lot of people will hate on this idea, keep in mind, im just throwing ideas out here for conversation sake.
Flyers néed a goalie....Badly. Should havé been top priority this summer. Yes id trade for him. Not sûre your proposal would do it. Shitty goalie. Terrible over paid dman plus a First for a Vézina winner.....might havé to change up the offre.
But solid starter and différent coach would do wonders for this team

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
A better goaltender would cover up a lot of flaws but it doesn't make us a contender with this coaching staff.

Need a coach with an aggressive style on offense and PK. We have so much top end talent that gets wasted under this coach.

Also need a coach who doesn't turtle late in games, but instead goes for the kill shot. Don't make our best defenseman sit late in games because of a false belief that he is bad in the defensive zone just because he is amazing in the offensive zone.

Last, we need a coach who values young talented players with fresh legs over old veteran guys with nothing left in the tank. And when the young guys make mistakes, they need to get more than one chance before they sit on the bench. Talent>experience for this season. and future seasons.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
My expectations are for him to improve and the Flyers are going to need more than 0 goals and 1 assist for TK every 5 games if they are to improve as a team. Remember, the thread was about what the Flyers need to do to improve, and that was what my post was about. 1 point in 5 games and -4 is not going to help them improve, regardless of what you think about his play in general.

Anyway, I do think he'll improve, and I'm more worried about Patrick and Lindblom.

And yes, I went to law school and passed the bar, but I've used it for an alternative career path. I practiced as an attorney for under 2 years. Hated it.

Fair point and I think a better elaboration of what you previously wrote. I just think Konecny has been flying out there and creating chances so it wasn't fair to him to lump him with the other three. The other three haven't look terrible but they do need to improve (really Patrick and Lindblom).

I can see why people hate being an attorney. I'm interested in what you used a law degree for an alternative career path.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
5 games is too early period, I'm mean do you really thing Carolina is for real?

TK is streaky, he had a horrible first half last year, a great second half, but a lot of that wasn't playing on the 1st line but simply shots going in that he was missing earlier in the year, 4% shooting percentage in Nov/Dec, 18% from January onward - neither is probably sustainable.
He shot 13.6% for the year, he'll probably range in that 12-14% range during his peak years.

So if he had a cold streak you live with it, if he has a hot streak you remember that's not his norm either.

Top goal scorers
Ovechkin 12.0%
Marleau 13.3%
Kovalchuk 14.0%
Crosby 14.4%
Thorton 14.0%
Staal 11.2%
Malkin 13.8%
Vanek 14.3%
Carter 11.6%
Stamkos 16.6%
Kessel 10.9%
Kane 12.1%

TK didn't have a horrible first half. He looked good but had nobody to work with, thats why everyonr wanted him bumped into the top 6 and why it wasnt remotely surprising whrn he did great once he was. He was a one man line. This was observed by many people here, at least those without a pro-coach agenda that blinds them to truth.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
TK didn't have a horrible first half. He looked good but had nobody to work with, thats why everyonr wanted him bumped into the top 6 and why it wasnt remotely surprising whrn he did great once he was. He was a one man line. This was observed my many people here, at least those without a pro-coach agenda that blinds them to truth.

He shot 4% in Nov/Dec and was making too many bad cross ice passes, being careless with the puck.
He was exciting to watch, but not very effective. His linemates didn't make his miss open shots or make bad passes.
That was a young player pressing and trying to do too much.

Young players struggle, why you feel the need to excuse those struggles makes no sense.
"It's his linemates' fault, it's his coaches fault . . ."
No, sometimes players have stretches where their crap does stink.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He shot 4% in Nov/Dec and was making too many bad cross ice passes, being careless with the puck.
He was exciting to watch, but not very effective. His linemates didn't make his miss open shots or make bad passes.
That was a young player pressing and trying to do too much.

Young players struggle, why you feel the need to excuse those struggles makes no sense.
"It's his linemates' fault, it's his coaches fault . . ."
No, sometimes players have stretches where their crap does stink.

He was making smart passes to linemates incapable of being open. It was like watching Voracek set up an injured Giroux or Richards trying to set up an injured Gagne when neither could create space.

The shooting percentage wasn't concerning because he was creating great opportunities entirely on his own without much support. It was clear that if he had people setting him up instead of doing everything himself with the other team keyed only on him he would succeed. And then he did.

This was so obvious it was widely predicted here. Your flawless coach was too stupid to see it, despite it being incredibly obvious.

This is another example of you abusing stats with purposefully incomplete context

Reactions: Rebels57

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Get a new GM.

A new GM that actually has killer instinct for making moves and isn't afraid to make trades to improve his team from beyond a "muh futures" standpoint.
Also helps if the new GM doesn't hire useless coaches just because he coached his son in college
Also also helps if the new GM is willing to rightfully fire a coach if he has multiple 10-game losing streaks during his tenure.

Reactions: tucson83

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC

I knew you were a smart bugger LOL.

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
The Flyers are in desperate need of a #1 starting goalie...
And a different direction in the coaching facet...cause clearly Philadelphia is a fixture in the middle of the pack thread or bobbing about water just to make or break in the playoff team!
Unacceptable for a Flyer organization!!!​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad