What could greatly improve this team?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The #1 thing that could immediately improve the Flyers is better goaltending.

They are 28th/32 in team save percentage at .878, & it’s nearly impossible to succeed if your goaltending is that bad.

Every mistake seems to end up in their net.

But another thing would be to have Patrick, Provorov, Konecny, & Lindblom, 4 highly touted young guys they are counting on for significant impacts & who have been incredibly disappointing & unproductive for their expected roles throughout 5 games, to step up big time.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
The #1 thing that could immediately improve the Flyers is better goaltending.

They are 28th/32 in team save percentage at .878, & it’s nearly impossible to succeed if your goaltending is that bad.

Every mistake seems to end up in their net.

But another thing would be to have Patrick, Provorov, Konecny, & Lindblom, 4 highly touted young guys they are counting on for significant impacts & who have been incredibly disappointing & unproductive for their expected roles throughout 5 games, to step up big time.

You keep mentioning Konecny but he's already hit the posts a few times this season. He's look fine but just hasn't shown up on the scoresheet.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
You keep mentioning Konecny but he's already hit the posts a few times this season. He's look fine but just hasn't shown up on the scoresheet.
I’m saying they need him to show up on the scoresheet. 0 goals & 1 assist in 5 games, -4, isn’t going to cut it for the Flyers to improve.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I’m saying they need him to show up on the scoresheet. 0 goals & 1 assist in 5 games, -4, isn’t going to cut it for the Flyers to improve.

He is still creating chances and etc. and that's a narrow mindset to say "not showing up on the scoresheet, so he's bad". If he didn't have a single assist and pass the puck to a wide up player who whiffed it every time would it be his fault as well?

More than likely he's just had some bad luck and gripping his stick too tight, players like that often turn their performance around and go on a tear.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not worried about Lindblom, Patrick, TK or Vorobyev, they'll have growing pains but the talent is there.

Replacing JVR is tough, moving Laughton up to the 3rd line and replacing him with Weise weakens what was a promising checking line.
Hagg is fine but AMac is a concern, they need last year's AMac who was a solid veteran depth piece.

But what they really need is Provorov to get on track and Sanheim to continue improving, he's flashing some good plays but he's got to be more careful with the puck in his D-zone.

However, there is no way they're going anywhere if the goalie play remains this putrid, Elliott looked better against Vegas, but not exactly like a goalie who gives you a world of confidence, you knew he was going to get beat at some point.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
He is still creating chances and etc. and that's a narrow mindset to say "not showing up on the scoresheet, so he's bad". If he didn't have a single assist and pass the puck to a wide up player who whiffed it every time would it be his fault as well?

More than likely he's just had some bad luck and gripping his stick too tight, players like that often turn their performance around and go on a tear.

I didn’t say Konecny is “bad.” I said he & 3 other young players they are counting on have been “incredibly disappointing & unproductive” through the first five games, & they need to step up for the team to improve.

And 0 goals & 1 assist in 5 games for a player they are counting on is “unproductive.” Do you disagree that they need more production out of him, or if he continues to hit posts the whole year will that not negatively impact the Flyers? You may be happy with his play, but the scoreboard is ultimately what prevails, not hitting posts, so if the question is what will help *the Flyers* improve, they’re going to need better production from Konecny & others. And hopefully that starts tomorrow night.

Reactions: smoochy

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
5 games is too early period, I'm mean do you really thing Carolina is for real?

TK is streaky, he had a horrible first half last year, a great second half, but a lot of that wasn't playing on the 1st line but simply shots going in that he was missing earlier in the year, 4% shooting percentage in Nov/Dec, 18% from January onward - neither is probably sustainable.
He shot 13.6% for the year, he'll probably range in that 12-14% range during his peak years.

So if he had a cold streak you live with it, if he has a hot streak you remember that's not his norm either.

Top goal scorers
Ovechkin 12.0%
Marleau 13.3%
Kovalchuk 14.0%
Crosby 14.4%
Thorton 14.0%
Staal 11.2%
Malkin 13.8%
Vanek 14.3%
Carter 11.6%
Stamkos 16.6%
Kessel 10.9%
Kane 12.1%

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
They aren't even close to that point. Their recent media efforts to pump Hakstols (tractor) tires suggests they are fully committed. It's not happening. He's more likely to get an extension then get fired.

I was a big Hextall supporter too and I was fully on board with hoarding picks for a few years then drafting wisely, but none of it matters if you are blindly loyal to a league-worst coaching staff.

I disagree with all you have said. I will try to book mark this convo for future reference.

Reactions: Rebels57

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I didn’t say Konecny is “bad.” I said he & 3 other young players they are counting on have been “incredibly disappointing & unproductive” through the first five games, & they need to step up for the team to improve.

And 0 goals & 1 assist in 5 games for a player they are counting on is “unproductive.” Do you disagree that they need more production out of him, or if he continues to hit posts the whole year will that not negatively impact the Flyers? You may be happy with his play, but the scoreboard is ultimately what prevails, not hitting posts, so if the question is what will help *the Flyers* improve, they’re going to need better production from Konecny & others. And hopefully that starts tomorrow night.
If “incredibly disappointing & unproductive” doesn't equal "bad" then what does it equal? If someone called me that I wouldn't have a warm fuzzy feeling about my performance. I'm not disagreeing that the kids aren't struggling right now, but I'm feeling my inner Semantics Nazi waking up over that distinction.

Reactions: Lindberg

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Yeah, the JVR signing is big when looking at the mindset he has. If they don’t win a round this year, he’s not going to be happy. If they miss the playoffs.... yikes.

We just have to hope his ultra-patience runs out with Hakstol and a little self-preservation kicks in.

It's true. People get too focused on one aspect of a vision...they can't see obvious signals in front of them. Signing JVR means Hexy wants to actually compete as he thinks it's about time to do so (which I would agree as well -- the kids are mostly ready and many are on the roster).

Hak doesn't have as long of a leash as many seem to think. This is Ron Hextall we're talking about -- the dude is super calculated about everything he does. I don't think he has full faith in Hakstol, but to Hak's credit he has produced results (by the numbers) in his 3 seasons by getting to the playoffs twice. Hak is dangerously on the border of being fired and I'm shocked people believe a GM's word during media interviews around hiring/firing (or even trades).

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Would you trade for Sergie Bobrovsky as a rental? I know he wants big $ to re-sign somewhere, and we have no interest in doing that. But this season if we had a Vezina starter back there, could make us a threat. I would trade say Brian Elliott + next years 1st Round pick + Macdonald (cap dump) for Bobrovsky. We dont necesarilly need another 1st round pick as our pool is deep. Now i know thats an expensive rental. But our Goalie tandem this year would look a hell of a lot better. Columbus also doesnt want to lose him for nothing, so getting a 1st round pick would be good for them. And Especially if Nuevirth gets healthy again. And we can always trade one of Pickard, Lyon, Stolarz and a acquire another mid round pick. and With JVR healthy again, and a vezina goalie back there, if things start to gel, we could go far this season. But i really believe a lot of people will hate on this idea, keep in mind, im just throwing ideas out here for conversation sake.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
If “incredibly disappointing & unproductive” doesn't equal "bad" then what does it equal? If someone called me that I wouldn't have a warm fuzzy feeling about my performance. I'm not disagreeing that the kids aren't struggling right now, but I'm feeling my inner Semantics Nazi waking up over that distinction.

Thanks for what would have been my exact reply! I don't get how you can say those things and not be implying his performance wasn't poor.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

They certainly need him to show up on the scoresheet but he's been productive. Do you think he's just going to magically hit the post 50 more times and not score a single goal all year? I like to look at on ice performance and not what the stat sheet says for what really matters.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
“Disappointing & unproductive through 5 games” gives a lot more specifics & context than the disingenuous fake quote, “not showing up on the scoresheet, so he’s bad.”

The Flyers are not going to improve without better goaltending & better production from young guys they are really counting on.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Patrick breaking out offensively would help a lot, but if that doesn't happen till after Hak is gone then so be it. I think Ryan Johansen is a good comparable as big, skilled center without great speed who was a top 5 pick. And he only scored 33 points in 107 games as a 19 & 20 year old.

Ryan Johansen at eliteprospects.com

Johansen imo has really underachieved. When we drafted patrick i was really noping for something more than Johansen.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
“Disappointing & unproductive through 5 games” gives a lot more specifics & context than the disingenuous fake quote, “not showing up on the scoresheet, so he’s bad.”

The Flyers are not going to improve without better goaltending & better production from young guys they are really counting on.

How is disappointing and unproductive anymore specific and gives context to that situation?

You could have said (to actually be specific and create context), "I like the way Konecny is playing but he needs to start showing up on the score sheet".

Tada!

Reactions: Striiker

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
How is disappointing and unproductive anymore specific and gives context to that situation?

You could have said (to actually be specific and create context), "I like the way Konecny is playing but he needs to start showing up on the score sheet".

Tada!

Well for one, I included the qualifier, "through the first five games," which you once again cut out. That's certainly some context right there.

And "unproductive" is an apt term for Konecny through 5 games-- who, btw, I included in a group of four, but you are acting like I was referring to alone.

And I certainly am disappointed that Konecny has gone the first 5 games with 0 goals and 1 assist, and -4.

I'm not sure why you're desperate to substitute the more blanket term "bad" for the actual, more specific words I used; I guess because it fits your argument better that I'm being hyperbolic even though you are the one who changed what I said to be more extreme than it was.

Anyway if you aren't disappointed by TK's lack of production over the first 5 games, good for you, but I am and I think it's completely justifiable. I think you're nitpicking and being overly defensive of TK through his first 5 games. Never said he wouldn't or couldn't start producing. And IMO they need it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->