What are the odds of Karlsson re-signing in SJ?

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Good chance, I live near Ottawa and it's not exactly a fun place to live (sorry friends) and if given the choice, ending up in the Pacific Division on a team that'll potentially be vying for top spot is a pretty good place to land. And back to the living situation, it's nice and warm, I could see him staying for a good while.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
50/50

Either he does, or he does not.

It is always 50/50 when you have a yes or no

That's not how probability works. There are variables. It is not 50/50. The Florida Panthers were either going to win the draft lottery, or not. Was it 50 - 50 odds? No, it was 1 - 99.

Edit: Forgive me if that was sarcasm. Maybe that's what the small font meant.

Reactions: Critical91

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
EB0C580A-10F4-48ED-A6D9-2D4E202DB22B.gif

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Good chance, I live near Ottawa and it's not exactly a fun place to live (sorry friends) and if given the choice, ending up in the Pacific Division on a team that'll potentially be vying for top spot is a pretty good place to land. And back to the living situation, it's nice and warm, I could see him staying for a good while.

I appreciate the honesty. Thank you.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Maybe like LeBron in the NBA, it takes 1 guy to change the mentality of the players. LeBron, no issues with moving around for the situation that best suites him. Clev to Miami to Clev and now LAL. It's what is best for him.

Each player has to decide what is most important for them. We recently saw Seguin extend long term in Dallas. Karlsson got traded and has not signed yet, so maybe he's at least willing to go the Tavares route and see what other teams have to offer.

A big part of the reason why he hasn't signed yet is the belief that they can't sign him to 8 years until after the trade deadline. I see no reason to believe that Karlsson isn't being genuine in his feelings on this matter. He wants to try it out living here before committing but he's certainly open to doing so. I'd put very heavy odds on Karlsson re-signing very shortly after the trade deadline. There's no reason for him not to love the place and the fans. The team is very good and has management that has proven time and again their commitment to competing and ability to go out and acquire talent as well as retain them. I would think that is a lot more important than some impossible to predict look of a team in year four or five or six of a contract. All team change pretty drastically given that time period.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You've probably said this every year for years

Just ignore him, he seems to be on a spree of posting dumb **** in a ton of threads.

As has been mentioned before, that guy is actually one of the rare "Sharks haters" on HFBoards. He is, to the Sharks, what Leafs fans believe the entirety of HFBoards is towards the Leafs.

The proof is in the pudding.

No, I certainly don’t. You have 43 posts with “Sharks” in them. Let’s compare that to the other Western teams:

Blues - 8
Jets - 12
Predators - 6
Stars - 18
Wild - 5
Blackhawks - 5
Avalanche - 3
Kings - 21
Ducks - 10
Golden Knights - 2
Coyotes - 2
Canucks - 5
Oilers - 12
Flames - 2

You post more than twice as much about the Sharks as any other team in the Western Conference. You’ve also got “Burns” in 33 of your posts, meaning that you post more about Brent Burns than any other team in the Western Conference. And when you consider that your posts containing “stars” are not all about the Dallas hockey club, you actually post more about Brent Burns alone than any other 2 Western Conference hockey clubs combined.

You are obsessed with the Sharks.

Oh, and by the way, your obsession with the Sharks has led to you making stupid, ill-informed, and inaccurate predictions before. Don’t believe me?

Here is what you said in a thread titled “Guess Karlsson’s 10 team no trade list”

Best to ignore what he says about the San Jose Sharks in any thread involving them.

On the topic of Erik Karlsson, I'd reckon the odds are pretty high. San Jose is definitely a very nice place to live, the weather/media combination is as good as any in the NHL. The Sharks offered Tavares $13M/7Y which means they will almost certainly be willing to offer Karlsson that amount over 8 years and quite honestly, I suspect they would be willing to offer max term and AAV to Karlsson. Obviously the core is aging, and the team has some flaws; he would have a much better shot to win in Tampa Bay than San Jose.

I would say there is roughly a 65% chance that he re-signs in San Jose. Remember, though, just because he has not signed now, does not mean he does not want to sign. As mentioned by Pierre LeBrun, Erik Karlsson can not sign for 8 years in San Jose until the trade deadline.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There's a Senspiracy that he's waiting out an ownership change in Ottawa, which is where he and his wife apparently want to be. Don Brennan reported that Karlsson seriously thought that a sale of the Senators would go through prior to a trade happening, and Alfredsson would be put in as team president. I am guessing this predates Melnyk's acquisition of a new round of financing. It might also explain why Karlsson apparently gave Melnyk the cold shoulder when Melnyk e-mailed him requesting to talk about where Karlsson stands regarding a new contract.

The fact that Karlsson did not want to sign an extension to facilitate a trade probably means he is not worried about the risk of playing hockey unsigned. So right now, if I had to bet money, I say he goes the Tavares route and becomes one of the rare mega stars to hit free agency in today's era.

With that said, I think the chances of him re-signing in San Jose are still decent given their track record and how great it must be to be a millionaire in California. Considering Karlsson cannot sign an 8 year deal until after the deadline, if he gets that far unsigned, it might become easier to justify waiting until July 1st and seeing what's out there.

[Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Almost zero percent chance he signs an extension -- he'll test free agency.

If San Jose has a good season and he gets along with everyone there -- better than 50% odds he resigns there.

A good season being a deep playoff run -- anything less and he walks.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I give it a higher than 50% chance.

How much money does Karlsson want? Can they afford to throw 10M at him and do they want to pay him that much? That's the only thing stopping him from resigning in San Jose imo.

Reasons for him to resign is that they've got a competitive team, San Jose has nice weather, there isn't a lot of pressure and it's probably pretty nice to live somewhere where everyone doesn't recognize you.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Almost zero percent chance he signs an extension -- he'll test free agency.

If San Jose has a good season and he gets along with everyone there -- better than 50% odds he resigns there.

A good season being a deep playoff run -- anything less and he walks.

As I've said before, it comes down to where is best for the children.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad