What are the odds of Karlsson re-signing in SJ?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Right now 0% because he can't get max term yet.

As far as chances after the season, i think we'll hear him say stuff about it at points during the year which will give us a better idea. If he and his family end up loving it in SJ and the team does well, probably above 50%.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
People always make it their MO in these threads to talk about how ****ty the Sharks future looks. Doug Wilson doesn’t care and neither should you.

The Sharks’ prospect pool is generally ranked at the lower end of the middle of the pack, but they actually have about five more forwards who are comparable to Rudolfs Balcers and Joshua Norris. Doug Wilson trades a bunch of mediocre junk for superstars over and over again and it’s time we all just accept that it’s just what he does. In a 15-year time frame, he has traded for Joe Thornton, Erik Karlsson, Dan Boyle, Brent Burns, Dany Heatley, Evander Kane, and Martin Jones. Do you know what the best piece he gave up was in any one of those trades? Can you even name one of the pieces?
I know this was more rhetorical for non sharks fans....but Charlie Coyle at this point yeh?

Reactions: Phu

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
15% I think everybody realizes the sharks are trying their hardest to keep their window open but it won’t last

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
On the topic of Erik Karlsson, I'd reckon the odds are pretty high. San Jose is definitely a very nice place to live, the weather/media combination is as good as any in the NHL. The Sharks offered Tavares $13M/7Y which means they will almost certainly be willing to offer Karlsson that amount over 8 years and quite honestly, I suspect they would be willing to offer max term and AAV to Karlsson. Obviously the core is aging, and the team has some flaws; he would have a much better shot to win in Tampa Bay than San Jose.

I would say there is roughly a 65% chance that he re-signs in San Jose. Remember, though, just because he has not signed now, does not mean he does not want to sign. As mentioned by Pierre LeBrun, Erik Karlsson can not sign for 8 years in San Jose until the trade deadline.
Honestly I was surprised that Doug Wilson did not require Karlsson to sign an extension the way Vegas did with Max Pacioretty when they traded for him.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Honestly I was surprised that Doug Wilson did not require Karlsson to sign an extension the way Vegas did with Max Pacioretty when they traded for him.

It’s very possible that they agreed in premise to an 8-year extension. They can’t sign an 8-year contract until the trade deadline.

Remember, Doug Wilson was in Ottawa when the trade happened. Wilson, head coach Peter DeBoer, Erik, and Melinda Karlsson all had conversations before the trade. Erik and Melinda visited the Bay Area during the summer.

No its not... Will i win 1 million dollar today? The answer is yes or no.
I have a lottery ticket but the chances are much higher that the answer is no than yes.

Clearly neither of them understand basic mathematics whatsoever.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It’s very possible that they agreed in premise to an 8-year extension. They can’t sign an 8-year contract until the trade deadline.

Remember, Doug Wilson was in Ottawa when the trade happened. Wilson, head coach Peter DeBoer, Erik, and Melinda Karlsson all had conversations before the trade. Erik and Melinda visited the Bay Area during the summer.
The moment Karlsson became a San Jose Shark he is eligible to sign an 8 year extension right now, so he does not need to wait until the trade deadline. It's why I used the example of Max Pacioretty signing that 5 year extension in Las Vegas when he was traded to the Golden Knights.

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
? Is a wealthy lifestyle better in Anaheim, San Jose or new york?

His kids will have a Wonderful life if they're living in zurich or Edmonton.

Really, Edmonton? I'm pretty sure Karlsson would prefer nice weather over negative temperatures for his family.

On a side not, there are a few cities in the South Bay that are deemed as one of the safest cities in the entire United States:
Sunnyvale
San Jose
Fremont
Santa Clara

All three are about 10-15 minutes from each other. That's an area you want your kids to grow up in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legionnaire

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Doug Wilson is one hell of a salesman. He stated that he and owner Hasso Plattner were granted permission from the Sens brass to meet with EK and Melinda prior to the trade and once they heard their vision and answered all their questions they okayed the trade. It’s also been reported that a bunch of current and previous SJ players have told EK great things about the organization and area. They can’t offer an 8 year deal until after the trade deadline so that’ll be they key date to watch. EK seems like a loyal guy and unlike Melnyk, Hasso will have no qualms about offering up a front loaded, lock out protected deal to keep EK in SJ. I like the odds.

After the hell he just left, I bet SJ is going to feel like cloud 9 to him.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
They can’t offer an 8 year deal until after the trade deadline so that’ll be they key date to watch. EK seems like a loyal guy and unlike Melnyk, Hasso will have no qualms about offering up a front loaded, lock out protected deal to keep EK in SJ. I like the odds.
The only time San Jose could not offer him an 8 year contract is on July 1, 2019. Right until June 30, 2019 at 11:59 PM EST they can still offer him an 8 year contract. So it would be just like when John Tavares decided to become a UFA. So using him as an example at this time last year if he wanted to re-sign with the Islanders he could have got an 8 year contract extension. That means Karlsson can sign an 8 year extension right now if he feels like it because he is property of the San Jose Sharks. Let's also look at the most recent example of Tyler Seguin who just signed an 8 year extension in Dallas and he could have become a UFA on July 1, 2019 and decided against doing that.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
The moment Karlsson became a San Jose Shark he is eligible to sign an 8 year extension right now, so he does not need to wait until the trade deadline. It's why I used the example of Max Pacioretty signing that 5 year extension in Las Vegas when he was traded to the Golden Knights.
You are wrong.
Rule 50.8 (b) (iv)
An SPC with a term of greater than seven (7) years, provided, however, that a club may sign a player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years if that player was on such club's reserve list as of and since the most recent trade deadline. With respect to potential unrestricted free agents only, the ability to re-sign a player to an SPC of eight (8) years expires when the player becomes an unrestricted free agent. With respect to a player who becomes a Group 2 restricted free agent, a club may sign such player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years provided such player was on such club's reserve list and/or restricted free agent list as of and since the most recent trade deadline.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You are wrong.
Rule 50.8 (b) (iv)
An SPC with a term of greater than seven (7) years, provided, however, that a club may sign a player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years if that player was on such club's reserve list as of and since the most recent trade deadline. With respect to potential unrestricted free agents only, the ability to re-sign a player to an SPC of eight (8) years expires when the player becomes an unrestricted free agent. With respect to a player who becomes a Group 2 restricted free agent, a club may sign such player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years provided such player was on such club's reserve list and/or restricted free agent list as of and since the most recent trade deadline.
Wow I always thought that was the rule if a players rights were traded prior to July 1, because I knew they could not sign a 8 year contract and I assumed for any players traded with 1 year left on their contracts after July 1 like Karlsson was would be allowed to sign right away for 8 years with their new team.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
The team with 100 points without Karlsson is not much better than the one with 67 with him?

The old core is one year older now.

I really think SJ will struggle this season.

Thornton, Pavenski and Burns looks extremely slow.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The old core is one year older now.

I really think SJ will struggle this season.

Thornton, Pavenski and Burns looks extremely slow.

While the potential for a dramatic decline is always a worry with older players, I wouldn't put much stock in how those same players look in pre-season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->