What are the odds of Karlsson re-signing in SJ?

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
Probably 60/40 in favor of signing there. I think he saw how Tavares was courted by teams and he might want to see what everyone has to offer. He said he's going to get paid and he will, going to UFA makes sure of that. Also depends on the season he has in SJ. The Bay Area is a great place to live if you have money, so with that and the chance to sign for 8 years, Sharks definitely have the upper hand.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I don't think either of those two things are a factor. Karlsson is from a small rural town in Sweden, he said he likes Ottawa because it's the closest thing to it in the NHL. Also, if his wife had to choose, she'd probably want to be in Ottawa. She's from Ottawa, and sounds like they're both very family oriented and close to her family. Karlsson hasn't sold his home and plans to keep it his off-season home.

At the end of the day, his decision will be based on his career. I'm not sure he wants to sign 8 years with SJ's ageing core. But he's also a pretty loyal guy. I'd give it maybe 85% chance.

Fair enough but many areas in California have that small town vibe but particularly in the surrounding Bay Area. Then, I guess it comes down to the commute. I've not been to Ottawa but I'd imagine that downtown anywhere is about the same.

I believe that she will play a large role in the decision either way because ultimately it is about the children - money, location, environment, family or otherwise.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I'd say the chances are pretty high, there will absolutely be a sweepstakes if he makes it to July 1, 2019, though.

San Jose is a good fit for him, and they're serious about going for it *this* season. Probably the best Western team on paper going into this campaign before the trade, definitely the best team now.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
I think it'll depend on how far the team goes this season. If he thinks the core is too old he might sign somewhere else.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think it'll depend on how far the team goes this season. If he thinks the core is too old he might sign somewhere else.

They could miss the playoffs and he'd probably still resign. He seems to be more about finishing his career with a good lifestyle for him and his wife over winning.

Reactions: Legionnaire

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
He'll wait to the week prior to UFA to field offers similar to what Stamkos and Tavares did.

I think he comes to Tampa due to factors that aren't money related.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The chances are better for him to resign in SJ more than anywhere else, as long as he performs like the superstar he should be.

I know we just saw tavares move, but that is an exception and not a norm. Teams find ways to sign franchise players, or trade them, but they don't lose them for nothing.

I know (insert Ottawa joke here), but you get what I mean.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He’s going to sign in Tampa, and there ain’t no doubt about it.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
If EK is spiteful, I could see him avoiding SH and signing in the east as a final departing shot at Melnyk.

Ya, thats possible... Except he's never shown himself to be that kind of person.

Maybe he'll make a choice that's best for him, his family, and his career rather than spending years of his life on something pointless and petty... Maybe.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Ya, thats possible... Except he's never shown himself to be that kind of person.

Maybe he'll make a choice that's best for him, his family, and his career rather than spending years of his life on something pointless and petty... Maybe.

Yeah personally I would look after my own interests above everything else. I dont see him being any different either.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The chances are better for him to resign in SJ more than anywhere else, as long as he performs like the superstar he should be.

I know we just saw tavares move, but that is an exception and not a norm. Teams find ways to sign franchise players, or trade them, but they don't lose them for nothing.

I know (insert Ottawa joke here), but you get what I mean.
Maybe like LeBron in the NBA, it takes 1 guy to change the mentality of the players. LeBron, no issues with moving around for the situation that best suites him. Clev to Miami to Clev and now LAL. It's what is best for him.

Each player has to decide what is most important for them. We recently saw Seguin extend long term in Dallas. Karlsson got traded and has not signed yet, so maybe he's at least willing to go the Tavares route and see what other teams have to offer.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Maybe like LeBron in the NBA, it takes 1 guy to change the mentality of the players. LeBron, no issues with moving around for the situation that best suites him. Clev to Miami to Clev and now LAL. It's what is best for him.

Each player has to decide what is most important for them. We recently saw Seguin extend long term in Dallas. Karlsson got traded and has not signed yet, so maybe he's at least willing to go the Tavares route and see what other teams have to offer.

Perhaps the trend will change one day in the nhl, but my original comment was only relative to the nhl. Until I see otherwise, the odds are karlsson stays in San Jose, and tavares was just an exception to the rule.

The NBA probably has a longer history of franchise players leaving for nothing, and I think it goes back even further than lebron. Shaq signing with the Lakers and leaving Orlando immediately comes to mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad