What are the odds of Karlsson re-signing in SJ?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I think there's a chance, but I think there's a much larger chance Karlsson will want to explore free agency.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
There are some things likely going through his mind which we don't know what he will want to o.

- He no doubt see's their best players and entire core are all over 30. Kane, Hertl, etc are not good enough to say "this is a new core" they won't be as good as the older ones. So how many years of winning does this team have?

- He has to share his ice time with other star D. Maybe he wants to be the guy back there so he can put up massive points? Now, if so, he'd likely be going to a team with talent up front but no one to make offense on the back end (Edmonton is a perfect fit but.. management.. and cap space)

- He's having the worse season of his established career. Defensively he has been god awful. Not sure if it is just the system he can't adapt to or what but he'll want to make a change I think just for his own confidence and sanity.

On the flip side, teams are watching this very carefully.

- Having a bad year on a team with a lot of good players. Will that continue if I add him to my roster?

- Chabot has stepped in and produced like he has in Ottawa. Does that mean he is reliant on being force fed those minutes to produce? What is the correlation there?

I think if this continues, GM's are going to be hesitant to open the vault for him as they were in the summer. However Karlsson believes he is entitled to a payday like that and it's been said in the past. So some GM is going to have to take a huge risk and offer him a deal he might not be worth to hope he fits in.

In other words, this could be an ugly contract depending on where he goes and by how much he is paid in term/salary. If he gets the Doughty deal yikes.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
melker won’t be top-6

AOin.gif

Reactions: Officer1473 and Phu

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
I think he want to play for Tampa but how on earth are they gonna be able to find the cap space? They have to move a lot of money to sign Point longterm and sign EK.
Yeah I think there was a lot of mutual interest last year between Tampa and Karlsson but I think Tampa officially killed that idea off when they acquired and re-signed McDonagh.

MisterMethos

Jun 21, 2014
Everywhere and Nowhere
I don't think either of those two things are a factor. Karlsson is from a small rural town in Sweden, he said he likes Ottawa because it's the closest thing to it in the NHL. Also, if his wife had to choose, she'd probably want to be in Ottawa. She's from Ottawa, and sounds like they're both very family oriented and close to her family. Karlsson hasn't sold his home and plans to keep it his off-season home.

At the end of the day, his decision will be based on his career. I'm not sure he wants to sign 8 years with SJ's ageing core. But he's also a pretty loyal guy. I'd give it maybe 85% chance.

Karlsson could be looking at the long game and waiting to see what happens with ownership in Ottawa, and if Melnyk sells by that time. Might explain why he hasn't locked up long term in SJ.

Reactions: Critical91

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Karlsson could be looking at the long game and waiting to see what happens with ownership in Ottawa, and if Melnyk sells by that time. Might explain why he hasn't locked up long term in SJ.

/facepalm
he hasn't been offered yet in SJ

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

SJ can’t offer the 8th year yet if he isn’t signed by March then the Sharks should worry

Reactions: Phu

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
It's definitely not a good fit long term in SJS. I can't see it being good for either party 3 years down the line.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Pretty high chances.

If not San Jose, I'm thinking Vegas. They want him there and have the cap space. Stable core group, competitive team, needs a top pair D. Seems like it would be a great fit for both the team and the player.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I still think TB is his preferred landing spot at the end of the day, but given Brayden Point's emergence and rising payday on top of the play of Ryan McDonagh, I'm not so sure that feeling is fully reciprocated anymore.

Wouldn't be shocked to see him stay.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
At this point flip a coin, no one can know the answer.

I think we'll get a better sense towards the end of the season to see how the Sharks are doing and if there's any comments slipping out regarding the extension.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
There are some things likely going through his mind which we don't know what he will want to o.

- He no doubt see's their best players and entire core are all over 30. Kane, Hertl, etc are not good enough to say "this is a new core" they won't be as good as the older ones. So how many years of winning does this team have?

- He has to share his ice time with other star D. Maybe he wants to be the guy back there so he can put up massive points? Now, if so, he'd likely be going to a team with talent up front but no one to make offense on the back end (Edmonton is a perfect fit but.. management.. and cap space)

- He's having the worse season of his established career. Defensively he has been god awful. Not sure if it is just the system he can't adapt to or what but he'll want to make a change I think just for his own confidence and sanity.

- Having a bad year on a team with a lot of good players. Will that continue if I add him to my roster?

- Chabot has stepped in and produced like he has in Ottawa. Does that mean he is reliant on being force fed those minutes to produce? What is the correlation there?

I think if this continues, GM's are going to be hesitant to open the vault for him as they were in the summer. However Karlsson believes he is entitled to a payday like that and it's been said in the past. So some GM is going to have to take a huge risk and offer him a deal he might not be worth to hope he fits in.

In other words, this could be an ugly contract depending on where he goes and by how much he is paid in term/salary. If he gets the Doughty deal yikes.
San Jose fans have said that Hertl and Meier have been their best forwards so far this season.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Really well put, and all valid points. This is going to be one of the more interesting UFA situations in a long time.

My guess would be he goes somewhere else built more like Ottawa in that he'd clearly be the top d-man.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I think they are a front runner should he make it to market.

I'd agree with this. Looking at the cap numbers, one of the biggest pieces SJ needs to figure out is Thornton and if he is retiring or coming back on another deal. But assuming he retires and Pavelski doesn't ask for the moon, they can afford what both of them are likely looking for.

Reactions: Cellee

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
VGS would give him an easy going lifestyle, not much media pressure and I could be wrong but I could've sworn I heard Nevada has one of the lowest income taxes in the USA? Or has none?

Either way, he could also make it "his team" since they are still super new and don't really have a star player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad