What are the odds of Karlsson re-signing in SJ?

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I think the odds are really quite high. The area is great, the team is quite good, and Doug Wilson is a grand master at acquiring new talent to keep the team's window open, for all the doom and gloom about it we see on HF boards. Our demise has been predicted for probably a good 10 years now. Also, we have a bit of a ringer, which further improves my belief that we're going to keep him. This comes from this article: His heart still in Ottawa, Karlsson focused on the Cup in San Jose

Relevant portion:
Douglas Murray was a Sharks defenseman before joining the organization on the business side. A fellow Swede, he's one of the few people Karlsson knew in San Jose when the trade went down.

"I reached out right away," Murray said. "I was excited as a fan, as someone that's been a part of the Sharks family. I love the guy as a person and as a hockey player."

Murray settled in San Jose after his playing days and began extolling the virtues of the area to Karlsson when the trade was announced. They've spent a good amount of time together since Karlsson arrived in town.

"I shared a lot of things about the area, and I have more to share. I love this place. It's kind of a place that's tough to look at and say, 'Oh, wow.' It's not New York City. It's not L.A. You're looking at San Jose as a downtown, you might not see much. But the area is fantastic for so many reasons," Murray said.

Wilson wouldn't comment on any potential negotiations with Karlsson, but feels the Sharks' record on retaining talent they've acquired isn't coincidental. San Jose is a selling point. So is the team that plays there.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If the Sharks are great with him, then he'll re-sign, so the odds are high.

But strange things can happen. The Sharks could miss the playoffs.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Re-sign probability is over 90% in my eyes. The Sharks are an exceptionally well-run organization. I can only imagine how appealing that is to Karlsson right now.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Really, Edmonton? I'm pretty sure Karlsson would prefer nice weather over negative temperatures for his family.

On a side not, there are a few cities in the South Bay that are deemed as one of the safest cities in the entire United States:
Sunnyvale
San Jose
Fremont
Santa Clara

All three are about 10-15 minutes from each other. That's an area you want your kids to grow up in.

I live in Sunnyvale. It’s pleasant, but ...

I sincerely doubt he lives in any of those cities. Maybe the SJ hills, maybe Willow glen or Almaden Valley (San Jose), but places like Palo Alto/Los Altos/Atherton/Los Gatos/Saratoga/Cupertino is where the rich people live. They also have the best schools.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Honestly I was surprised that Doug Wilson did not require Karlsson to sign an extension the way Vegas did with Max Pacioretty when they traded for him.
Because that would have cost more assets. Add the fact Karlsson is about 20 tiers above Max in terms of skill. Karlsson has no reason to take a deal immediately.

The Sharks have the next 9 months to sell him on staying.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I think its 50/50 and the decision will come down to how well his family has adjusted to SJ. He could love it there but if his family still wants to stay on the east coast then he might head back east.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
San jose is a pretty great place for family from Ottawa to come to during much of the hockey season to escape the cold.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The old core is one year older now.

I really think SJ will struggle this season.

Thornton, Pavenski and Burns looks extremely slow.

The team isn't entirely Thornton, Pavelski, and Burns. And Burns looks slow? What the hell have you been watching? lol

Reactions: Phu

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Really, Edmonton? I'm pretty sure Karlsson would prefer nice weather over negative temperatures for his family.

On a side not, there are a few cities in the South Bay that are deemed as one of the safest cities in the entire United States:
Sunnyvale
San Jose
Fremont
Santa Clara

All three are about 10-15 minutes from each other. That's an area you want your kids to grow up in.
San Jose and Fremont are nowhere near the talks for safest cities...

Reactions: Legionnaire

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Regarding Their speed/skating/movemment, you do.

It says so in the Bible.

No, you don't. It is a completely futile exercise believing anything in preseason is of any use to assess established players because they're not putting their full effort into the games.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
San Jose and Fremont are nowhere near the talks for safest cities...

I'm from Fremont and historically (90's especially) Fremont WAS one of the safest cities in America and awarded as such by several independent institutions (people doing studies on least amounts of crime in cities with 100k + population). Things have fallen from those days this decade though, but it's not like Fremont, even today, is anything like a San Leandro/Castro Valley/rough parts of Hayward/East Palo Alto. Not even close, especially when Fremont is so heavily Indian and Chinese as it is the "affordable" city to live in and commute to the heart of Silicon Valley.

But to the main point, as far as where EK would live if he settles down in SJ area, hard not to see him in Saratoga or Los Gatos. That's pretty much where Sharks players buy homes and live, especially Los Gatos.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
As to him re-signing, I think what happens is, realistically, like most other traded players (traded to SJ I mean) here that are non-rentals, he loves it fairly quickly, especially not having the crazy media attention, and then DW and EK unofficially agree on an eight - year extension before the holidays, but since EK can't sign an eight year extension with the Sharks until after the trade deadline, we don't actually get the official word of the extension until that very day.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
'What are the chances that a guy like you and a girl like me...ending up together'

'Not good'

'Not good like one in a hundred'

'I'd say more like 1 in a million'

'Sooo you're telling me theres a CHANCE!!'

Theres a chance Karlsson stays in San Jose. And his odds are alot better than Lloyd Christmas I'd say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad