What are the looming issues for Dubas that you believe are key?

Pick 3 issues that are key to Dubas' success as Leafs GM.

• Total voters

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Under the same thought that you reference for bottom 6.
Maple Leaf trivia that I would say 90% of even die hard Leaf fans would not get correctly.

Which Leaf forward led the team in hits this season???
I didn’t check so i have to guess. I think it wasn’t in the bottom 6. I believe Muzzin had the most and Matthews really raised his numbers. I can’t remember:)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
My 3 Issues are;

1) Cap Management
2) Cap Management
3) Cap Management

Based on potential rumoured 3 straight years of flat cap locked in a current levels.
The minimum salary is going up to $750,000 Next season. Conditional picks on trades for unforeseen circumstances are abolished also. Sportsnet has a very basic read on the changes coming outbtoday

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hard to say. We let Ennis go to Ottawa for like a 100k raise. He was actually a pretty nice bottom 6 player for us.

I had read that the Leafs were interested in resigning him, but he decided to go to Ottawa because hed get more icetime. He played in the top six for a while there.

For Ennis, thays a better place to be ifnyoure looking to get a raise on the next contract.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
In light of the flattened cap, we need to rebalance the roster. Currently just under 50% of the cap is being spent on four forwards. That's going to make it hard to build a deep roster around that core, especially when some of our bargain contracts come up for renewal (Hyman, Andersen, Rielly).

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
The idiot should have seen the pandemic coming from a mile away!

The pandemic is the least of dubas' mistakes. But kudos for trying to downplay dubas' atrocias record.

How many other gms can inherit a 105 point team with loads of cap space and within 2 years spend to the max and barley make the playoffs? That takes talent

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
I have very little faith dubas will be able to make this a competitive team due to the fact he has put us into such a poor position with his awful contracts.

No team has won a cup with 1 player making over 10 mil. How long until a team with 3 wins a cup?

Each season dubas has been in charge we have lost roughly 5 points. Let's hope he can change that trend for next season or he had better be gone

Reactions: FACTORY

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I have very little faith dubas will be able to make this a competitive team due to the fact he has put us into such a poor position with his awful contracts.

No team has won a cup with 1 player making over 10 mil. How long until a team with 3 wins a cup?

Each season dubas has been in charge we have lost roughly 5 points. Let's hope he can change that trend for next season or he had better be gone
In Dubas first season as the GM when they went from 105 points to 100 points, shouldn't that be blamed on Mike Babcock and his coaching methods he used during the games they happened to lose?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
So you don't understand the issue?

Cap is in better shape than a lot of other teams.

This is commonly said on here. I don't think it is true. I feel that Toronto is in better shape next year than a number of teams, but by 2022/23 if they don't trade a major contract they have massive problems.

I think that it is pretty much a guarantee that the cap stays at 81.5M for the next 3 years, and most likely for 4 years. A lot of the teams that are going to have significant cap problems next year will see big contracts coming off the books in the next year or two. Some other teams have big contracts for players who are probably going to find their way on to LTIR. A few teams, but not many, have some big contracts where a buyout makes sense (but so many contracts are essentially buyout proof). Toronto has all their big contracts staying on for the next 4+ years.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
This is commonly said on here. I don't think it is true. I feel that Toronto is in better shape next year than a number of teams, but by 2022/23 if they don't trade a major contract they have massive problems.

I think that it is pretty much a guarantee that the cap stays at 81.5M for the next 3 years, and most likely for 4 years. A lot of the teams that are going to have significant cap problems next year will see big contracts coming off the books in the next year or two. Some other teams have big contracts for players who are probably going to find their way on to LTIR. A few teams, but not many, have some big contracts where a buyout makes sense (but so many contracts are essentially buyout proof). Toronto has all their big contracts staying on for the next 4+ years.
I look at teams like Tampa, St. Louis, and the Islanders as 3 teams who are in worse shape. Then there are a bunch of teams that are in a similar position

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What is the salary cap for next season ?

NHL wants to keep the cap flat for the next 3 years at $81.5 mil but the NHLPA has to still vote on that proposal. Its either that or take paycuts and rollbacks.

This year Leafs spent a little over $95 mil Cap (needing both Horton and Clarkson's LTIR) to fit their current roster. That is the highest in the NHL and by over $10 mil.

Leafs needed to deal Marleau + 1st round pick + acquire Clarkson's LTIR contract ($5.25 mil) & add it to Horton's ($5.3 mil) just to resign Marner at his new $10.9 mil deal.

Those LTIR contracts expiry this year so no more going over the hard cap like previously, and using reimbursement money for long term injuries. So UFA pending players like Barrie, Ceci etc will need to walk away to help the Leafs get cap compliant.

Our Leafs already have $76,908,533 allocated to 16 players for next year. What that means without dealing current roster players under contract, this is going to be Leafs roster for the next 3 seasons with only the cap space to fill in with ELC and cheap contracts around $1 mil to fill out their 23 man roster going forward. Expiring contracts like Andersen next year and Rielly in 2 years are going to add more challenges if the Leafs want to keep them.

Reactions: cupcrazyman

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
In Dubas first season as the GM when they went from 105 points to 100 points, shouldn't that be blamed on Mike Babcock and his coaching methods he used during the games they happened to lose?

So babs was our coach when we got 105 points but hes also the reason why we regressed in points the following season??

It had nothing to do with dubas' trades and signings?

Lou + babs = 105 points
Dubas + babs = 100 points
Dubas + babs + keefe = pace of 95 points

There seems to be a common factor when it comes to our regression. Can you figure out which one it is?

Reactions: sparxx87

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So babs was our coach when we got 105 points but hes also the reason why we regressed in points the following season??

It had nothing to do with dubas' trades and signings?

Lou + babs = 105 points
Dubas + babs = 100 points
Dubas + babs + keefe = pace of 95 points

There seems to be a common factor when it comes to our regression. Can you figure out which one it is?
My point is Dubas can get the players he wanted, however Babcock is the one responsible for coaching them during the actual games.

Plus in 2017-18 when they had 105 points they also went 7-2 in the shootout. In 2018-19 when they had 100 points they were 0-2 in the shootout. So that's some reason why they dropped 5 points.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I look at teams like Tampa, St. Louis, and the Islanders as 3 teams who are in worse shape. Then there are a bunch of teams that are in a similar position

Some of those teams are worse right now, but I don't think that they are over the next couple years. Most will be able to entice Seattle to take a bad contract, or LTIR a bad contract for an old player. Some of their big contracts are also great for buyouts (McDonagh, Faulk etc). Toronto has none of that flexibility. Marner was at least 1M overpaid when it seemed as though the cap would hit 90+ in a few seasons. Now he is several million overpaid. Then you add in the bump in minimum pay from 700K to 750K (even though they had just had a bump from 675K - so why are they seeing another 7+% increase when the cap is going to be flat for 3 or 4 years?) and that will further squeeze Toronto trying to re-sign players like Reilly, Freddie, Sandin - as well as Dermott and Mikheyev - who will now be asked to take undermarket contracts not just for a year or two but for several more years after that.

Toronto might not be the team in the worst shape in 2020, but if they plan to keeping all of their 10+M contracts I think they will be by 2022/23 - easily.

And lets keep in mind that I was replying to "cap is better shape than a lot of other teams" - which is clearly not the case. The Leafs' might be in better shape than 3 or so teams right now.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Its a strange narrarive that only the Leafs are negatively impacted by thr stagnant cap. Plenty of twams are having issues, as will any other one that needs to sign a large contarct over the next couple years

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Its a strange narrarive that only the Leafs are negatively impacted by thr stagnant cap. Plenty of twams are having issues, as will any other one that needs to sign a large contarct over the next couple years
Remember last year everyone in the media was talking about Marner getting an over sheet and no one bothered to mention Brayden Point on Tampa getting one, until Jeff O'Neil brought that up.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I had read that the Leafs were interested in resigning him, but he decided to go to Ottawa because hed get more icetime. He played in the top six for a while there.

For Ennis, thays a better place to be ifnyoure looking to get a raise on the next contract.

I wonder if it had anything to do with Babcock?

Coaches can drive guys out of town. Randy drove MacArthur out of Toronto...and close to driving out some others.

Reactions: ACC1224

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Scott’s Thoughts: Nylander deserves to be a part of the Big Four
This is a nice article, as it shows how Nylander is actually an amazing player and right there with Marner.
When it comes to driving play, Nylander is much better and it's not even close. When you take away factors a player can't control, Nylander is well ahead.
Also Tavares played a huge role when he played with Marner, and you could make the case he drove that line.

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
Nylander has always had the potential.. he just doesn't follow through at a high enough ratio over the course of the season. He.. above the other 3 takes the most nights off and coasts over long stretches. The guy is pure magic some games its extremely frustrating

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Scott’s Thoughts: Nylander deserves to be a part of the Big Four
This is a nice article, as it shows how Nylander is actually an amazing player and right there with Marner.
When it comes to driving play, Nylander is much better and it's not even close. When you take away factors a player can't control, Nylander is well ahead.
Also Tavares played a huge role when he played with Marner, and you could make the case he drove that line.
Nylander should be mentioned along with Matthews, Marner, and Tavares. I guess he's not because his contract is only $6.96 million AAV compared to $10.893 million AAV, (Marner) $11 million AAV (Tavares) and $11.634 million AAV (Matthews).

Reactions: stickty111

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Nylander has always had the potential.. he just doesn't follow through at a high enough ratio over the course of the season. He.. above the other 3 takes the most nights off and coasts over long stretches. The guy is pure magic some games its extremely frustrating

Nobody questions Nylander's offensive output; it is his defensive game and board work that that rubs people the wrong way

Reactions: Al14 and rubous

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad