Pre-Game Talk: Week before Christmas (Islanders, Habs, Hawks, Coyotes)

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
What do you mean you can't?

FYI Sakic didn't give a 2nd rounder and wasted 5.5M dollars on a buyout just for a backup goalie at the last draft. So either we trade Varly or he's walking at the end of the year.
I prefer trade. I think it's become pretty obvious that our forward depth is a bit of a mess. Getting a pick or 2 or prospects is ideal.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
No better time to let Francouz play than right now. Grub played last night, it's still early in the season, it's against an easier team not in our division, we're going to need to see him play a few games if we want to trade Varlamov.

Let him play

Ohhhhh I dunno about that. The team is simply not playing well right now. Grubi had to bail them out a few times and that was against the Hawks, a still lousy team that barely had the puck all night.

Not that AZ is great by any means but I'd rather see this team get back on track before throwing Frankie out there. But whatever...I agree that sooner or later they gotta see what they got in him.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
What do you mean you can't?

FYI Sakic didn't give a 2nd rounder and wasted 5.5M dollars on a buyout just for a backup goalie at the last draft. So either we trade Varly or he's walking at the end of the year.
Not to mention that in reality, Varlamov has mostly been an average starter. It's not like he's trading a superstar goalie.

Reactions: hooverdam

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Ohhhhh I dunno about that. The team is simply not playing well right now. Grubi had to bail them out a few times and that was against the Hawks, a still lousy team that barely had the puck all night.

Not that AZ is great by any means but I'd rather see this team get back on track before throwing Frankie out there. But whatever...I agree that sooner or later they gotta see what they got in him.
Have to do it sometime. He's been good in the A, might aswell give him a shot

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
About a month ago a lot of us wanted to re-sign Varly because he played great and Grubi looked shaky. Now, after Varly hit a rough patch and Grubi had a handful of good games we are back on the "Trade Varly" train. Funny.

Yes, i also believe that Grubi was added to replace Varly as our starter and Francouz to be our backup. That doesn't change the fact that we were screwed last season when Varly AND Bernie went down and because of that i firmly believe that Varly is not gonna be traded as long as we are a Playoff team. He might walk but he won't be traded.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
About a month ago a lot of us wanted to re-sign Varly because he played great and Grubi looked shaky. Now, after Varly hit a rough patch and Grubi had a handful of good games we are back on the "Trade Varly" train. Funny.

That was never the plan though.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

Yes, i also believe that Grubi was added to replace Varly as our starter and Francouz to be our backup. That doesn't change the fact that we were screwed last season when Varly AND Bernie went down and because of that i firmly believe that Varly is not gonna be traded as long as we are a Playoff team. He might walk but he won't be traded.
I don't think any of us are saying we need to trade him, just that it's an option and all signs point towards it being a very real possibility.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Source? Or just wishful thinking?

For the life of me i can't imagine a scenario where Sakic even thinks about trading Varly.

source.gif

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
I don't think any of us are saying we need to trade him, just that it's an option and all signs point towards it being a very real possibility.
Don't get me wrong. If Grubi proves in the next month or so that he can be a relieable starter for us then trading Varly is an option worth to explore. Maybe for some much needed help for the sceond line. I'm pretty much done with pics/prospects - we need actual NHL players. But i just find it hard to believe that Sakic feels the same way.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Don't get me wrong. If Grubi proves in the next month or so that he can be a relieable starter for us then trading Varly is an option worth to explore. Maybe for some much needed help for the sceond line. I'm pretty much done with pics/prospects - we need actual NHL players. But i just find it hard to believe that Sakic feels the same way.

Sure, my point is, that I'd rather get some assets back for Varly instead of letting him walk

Reactions: Forceberg

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He was top 5 in every important stat before he fell off a cliff.

This is why Varly has never been a truly elite goalie. He has these stretches where he just falls of a cliff after completely dominating. He’s kinda like Duchene in net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad