Pre-Game Talk: Week before Christmas (Islanders, Habs, Hawks, Coyotes)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not uncommon, not going to get into it on Christmas but the male vs female academic success is an issue in academia that isn't really talked about much.
That’s very true. It’s not something I noticed till I transferred from my public high school. But schools are very much catered towards female learning strengths.
Not saying there isn't a sociological aspect to it because there clearly is, but I also think there is a physiological reason to. Men and women have different brain structures, notably when it comes to pathways in the brain between neurons. Men on average have brains leading to more creativity and out-of-the-box thinking while women are much better when it comes to memorization and able to understand emotions more (which could lead to manipulation). Now that doesn't mean women are not creative nor men are dumb as everyone is outright unique, but there are some averages showing these characteristics out there. The school system is catered to that memorization platform when it comes to tests, which might seem why women could have an upper hand.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Not saying there isn't a sociological aspect to it because there clearly is, but I also think there is a physiological reason to. Men and women have different brain structures, notably when it comes to pathways in the brain between neurons. Men on average have brains leading to more creativity and out-of-the-box thinking while women are much better when it comes to memorization and able to understand emotions more (which could lead to manipulation). Now that doesn't mean women are not creative nor men are dumb as everyone is outright unique, but there are some averages showing these characteristics out there. The school system is catered to that memorization platform when it comes to tests, which might seem why women could have an upper hand.
Yup. Also why men seem to be more "boom or bust". Highly successful or meh. More extremes at both ends of the spectrum.

Reactions: S E P H

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Yup the memorization part is what killed me in school. I learn by doing and seeing where I go wrong. When I have to take notes and learn from reading stuff from board it really did me in.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's not just the general difference between men vs women in American schools, either. Schools are rigid and tend to teach to just one type of learning style, and they're too crowded for teachers to give individual attention to students who may be struggling, which leads to a lot of kids, boys and girls, falling through the cracks and not getting the education style they need.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Girls are more mature than boys are at the same age. It's not surprising that girls tend to do better in school and that more girls tend to seek out a higher education. In Canada I think the ratio of women to men in University is something like 60/40.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
:laugh: well maybe sociopathic is a bit much, but she's very good at getting people to do what she wants, and if she doesn't get it then she'll try to cleverly persuade them into it without even realizing. Growing up she was like a marionette with my parents.
Her boyfriend is the coolest **** though.
I hated my sister when we were young because I got in a lot of shit because she would fake crying, lie and make me look awful and she was a good actor hah. But eventually we grew out of it and we each explained our sides and are actually supportive now. Siblings are nice assets to have aha.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's not just the general difference between men vs women in American schools, either. Schools are rigid and tend to teach to just one type of learning style, and they're too crowded for teachers to give individual attention to students who may be struggling, which leads to a lot of kids, boys and girls, falling through the cracks and not getting the education style they need.

Yup that was me to a tee, the kid who fell through the cracks. I was able to transfer to a small school that could teach to kids strengths and it’s the only reason I graduated high school. and shockingly the guy girl ratio was like 70/30 guys.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Girls are more mature than boys are at the same age. It's not surprising that girls tend to do better in school and that more girls tend to seek out a higher education. In Canada I think the ratio of women to men in University is something like 60/40.

If you guys want to talk about education issues, the problem is much deeper than male/female success discrepancy. Society has a bias towards higher education which created more problems than most people realize. Not everyone needs to go to college/university, that's a fact. Students get out of college crippled with debt with nearly useless degrees and little to no hope to go a decent paying job...meanwhile the job market is seriously lacking skilled workers (which is where the money is). Society doesn't need more people graduating in Art History or Liberal Arts...we need plumbers and welders.

But...colleges and banks need you and your student loans and there's this old mentality that going to college is somehow more prestigious than going to trade school. Don't expect things to change anytime soon.

Edit: I thought it was the OT thread. My bad.

Reactions: Foppberg

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
DuzrD5FWsAIWJuv.jpg

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yup the memorization part is what killed me in school. I learn by doing and seeing where I go wrong. When I have to take notes and learn from reading stuff from board it really did me in.

Ditto. I'm good in school now, but it took way longer than I would've liked. And I was never good in memorization type courses but things like math I'm better at because I learn way better by doing, practicing and asking questions. Memorizing the parts of the body or history is not my forte. Plus having an actual career goal makes it a hell of a lot easier to push through versus "well.. All my friends are in college, guess I should too.
I hated my sister when we were young because I got in a lot of **** because she would fake crying, lie and make me look awful and she was a good actor hah. But eventually we grew out of it and we each explained our sides and are actually supportive now. Siblings are nice assets to have aha.

Oh yeah that was my sister too. She'd lie and blame me for everything and get away with it while cheekily smiling back at me. Little shit head.

Totally thought this was the OT thread :laugh:

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
So basically Avs fans are like Colin Wilson. Limited and a slight disappointment, but ultimately a good guy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
A college degree is just an entry point for most now... it is as much what you do after it as the degree itself. There are obviously bad degrees out there, but even with a good degree... it is just a way to open the door.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad