Pre-Game Talk: Week before Christmas (Islanders, Habs, Hawks, Coyotes)

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I’m starting to fall in love with Grubauer more and more each game but I think Varly should get this game. Guy has been straight fire his entire career against the Hawks. .936 all time. Hawks players know it too and he’s in their head.

Grubauer is playing better hockey but I’d throw Varly in because I think a game against the Hawks gets the confidence going.

The more and more I read about the hip surgeries and recovery for these goalies (Lou, Thomas, Rinne, Schneider, Varly..) I'm not really sure history is the best thing to rely on at this point. There is commentary from Lou about it taking two years to fully recover.

My guess would be Varly got over used to start this year.

13. There were rumours this past summer that Schneider’s hip surgery could be the end of his career. On a visit to Toronto earlier this season, he denied that. “No, it was never that bad,” he said.

Roberto Luongo said he’s spoken to Schneider a few times. “I remember when I had my hip surgery, even though I came back and played at the start of the season, it’s tough. It takes two full years to be fully recovered from hip surgery. Even though you’re playing the first year, you’re feeling it, it’s hurting you, it’s bothering you…whether you like it or not, it’s a problem for sure.”

Not sure why it posts a video link, but it's on 31 thoughts.

Reactions: Piestany88

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I’m starting to fall in love with Grubauer more and more each game but I think Varly should get this game. Guy has been straight fire his entire career against the Hawks. .936 all time. Hawks players know it too and he’s in their head.

Grubauer is playing better hockey but I’d throw Varly in because I think a game against the Hawks gets the confidence going.

Meh, I think with Varly struggling it's important to give Grubs some back to back looks to actually build some momentum and see what we have in him as a potential #1 in the future. Coming in cold for Varly and getting starts every 3rd or 4th game is not a great indicator. Letting Varly reset too couldn't hurt.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Luckily the Hawks played last night. Hopefully that third pairing gets as little ice time as possible.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Lindholm is going to be the “puck mover” on that pairing, isn’t he? Yikes.

Bednar knows how to run his defense with 5 guys all night lol. I think what I'm wondering about is who will PK in Z's place, and how it will effect them the next night.

I think Girard should probably PK, but there isn't a great option there lol. Maybe just use Landy as a D-man on the pK lol. Especially because we're averaging something like 9 minutes or whatever in penalties.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

giphy.gif

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Kane’s gonna be out against that pair all night if possible lol.

It's like my wife, a casual hockey fan, observed against the Oilers: "How can the Oilers get McDavid on the ice against Nemeth every shift? The Avs are playing at home, right?"

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
To be fair, he is still shooting, it's just not going in automatically like it did last season. His shooting % was SKY HIGH last year, it was bound to regress. Also, the opposition is a lot more keyed in to stopping him and they're piling a lot more bodies in front, and goalies (far as I can tell) are squaring up on him more quickly. This should open up Mikko, TB, and others a lot more. But yes he's clearly frustrated about his shots not going in right now. He's just gotta play through it, and hey in the meantime he's still making some amazing passes.
Its where hes not shooting from that I have an issue with.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Bednar knows how to run his defense with 5 guys all night lol. I think what I'm wondering about is who will PK in Z's place, and how it will effect them the next night.

I think Girard should probably PK, but there isn't a great option there lol. Maybe just use Landy as a D-man on the pK lol. Especially because we're averaging something like 9 minutes or whatever in penalties.
Girard guarding against zone entries would be nice.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
^ Guenin and Holden on the ice as a pairing, playing Roy's system to a tee.

God...I remember asking someone what Holden/Guenin's on ice CF% was. I never made that mistake again.

Oh, good news! Jeremy Colliton is trying what Roy failed to do--implement man-to-man coverage in the defensive zone. I hope the coaching staff did some film study and absolutely skate circles around 'em.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
God...I remember asking someone what Holden/Guenin's on ice CF% was. I never made that mistake again.

Oh, good news! Jeremy Colliton is trying what Roy failed to do--implement man-to-man coverage in the defensive zone. I hope the coaching staff did some film study and absolutely skate circles around 'em.

To be honest though, if Makar pans out the way we hope does and we had one of Makar, Barrie and Girard on the ice at all times, the man on man scheme would be more effective. I know Barrie has some warts defensively but still....Roy's defense simply didn't have the mobility and stamina to play that game.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
To be honest though, if Makar pans out the way we hope does and we had one of Makar, Barrie and Girard on the ice at all times, the man on man scheme would be more effective. I know Barrie has some warts defensively but still....Roy's defense simply didn't have the mobility and stamina to play that game.

I just don't think it's possible to properly implement the M2M scheme in the NHL. If it was someone would've done it by now. The league as a whole is too fast, players are way too crafty and they only need so much space (and time) to create a legit scoring chance. Not to mention you're increasing the likelihood of 1-on-1 matchups and if the opposition has bigger guys than yours, well, that doesn't usually go well. The reason so many teams employ a zone scheme that tries to box out the opposition is because that's the most effective scheme. The M2M is too easily entangled by proper puck and player movement. Sooner or later, someone makes a mistake or gets knocked down, and then you're f***ed. The Athletic showed why the new system wasn't working, and it wasn't scrubs messing things up, it was guys like Duncan Keith.

As for Roy, people know my stance on whether or not his systems would have ever worked properly in the NHL.

I like Bednar's system insofar that he allows guys, even defenders, to stick with their guy if they have a legit shot at causing a turnover. I've seen guys like Girard chase opposition forwards all the way from the defensive zone all the way to the opposite blue line. I just wish they'd quit being so damned passive and collapse down low like they do, but they also need defenders who aren't coughing up the f***ing puck along the boards like EJ is doing virtually every game.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Meh, I think with Varly struggling it's important to give Grubs some back to back looks to actually build some momentum and see what we have in him as a potential #1 in the future. Coming in cold for Varly and getting starts every 3rd or 4th game is not a great indicator. Letting Varly reset too couldn't hurt.
Also I think we need to reward Grubauer for his last outing.

Reactions: Avs_19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad