OT: Weather

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I didn't even go to university today since I only had one class (calculus).

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Been working from home this week....my new diesel truck happily snoring in the heated garage. I throw on a t-shirt and pair of shorts and login from my office in the basement. Wife and daughter get ready and bundle up...wife takes daughter to school and then goes to work.

Suckers. :laugh:

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is a must read, and suitable for this thread as it tells the story of our energy usage in these cold snaps and exactly what that energy is. Also to keep in mind that we are on level 2 emergency energy usage in the province at this time. level 3 would be some required outages. The system is tapped AND we are importing energy. Think about that occurring in Alberta.

David Staples: On our coldest days, where would we be without the miracle of fossil fuels?

On Tuesday, with a daytime high of -30 C, the Reliable Energy twitter account, which tracks Alberta’s sources of electrical power generation, reported: “At this moment 95.44% of Alberta’s electricity is being produced by fossil fuels. Wind is at 2.98% of capacity and producing 0.51% of total generation, while solar is at 0.00% of capacity and producing 0.000% of total generation. At the same time we are importing 852 MW.

Wow Solar and wind energy, absolutely useless when you most need it. Stick this in as counter argument when somebody starts mouthing off about dirty Oil and our RELIANCE on fossil fuels. In this climate we would be dead without it. Which I guess would reduce our eco footprint...

heres the article about our current peaked out energy usage;

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/record-...tivates-emergency-alerts-in-alberta-1.4766805

Last edited:

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Yeah. We only use our furnaces one week out of the year when it hits -30....because even then, that only happens once, right?

I really have to hold my tongue here...er...or is that fingers?

The carbon tax is back. Anyone doesn't like how I spend my money, they can f*** off.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
-42 before any windchill here right now... -48 with the windchill.

Feel sorry for the animals that have to go through this.

I'm at my dad's during this cold stretch and he loves to sit in front of the wood stove and feel the +40 weather in the house. :)

Reactions: oilers'72

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Well good thing I got a free car battery replacement a couple days ago. Let's just say that driving to work at 5:30 am today sucked. It was a foggy, snowy commute. I was on 97th Street traveling up towards the Henday and I couldn't even see the intersection traffic lights unless I got really close. It was so bad that I began to think I'd make it alive. :amazed:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
-44 this morning... nevermind the windchill.

Looks like the weather is going to start changing this weekend and it'll be tropical next week. Had two different batteries freeze up in vehicles during this cold snap so at least it's good for the retail economy. :)

Reactions: oilers'72

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
These last few nights of working out in -50 have really made me count down the days until I am gone on vacation in March
13 days to Phoenix for me. the last week and change has felt like forever with this god awful weather.

Cant wait for some golf and drinks and well more golf and more drinks and some hockey and nba basketball

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00