Weaponized cap space?

Should cap space be weaponized, if yes, how much?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Loui would be the perfect cap dump player. He's a respected pro who can still play defensive minutes for the Wings. Guy lost all his ability to generate scoring, but he's not completely worthless, just dramatically overpaid. Which is great, because we need guys that are overpaid dramatically, and bring in draft capital, that aren't a total tire fire.

Loui and MAF are my favorite two cap dumps by a long shot this off-season. Vancouver will be more motivated to move Loui, so that's a good deal.

Can't wait to add him to my collection.
Isn't Loui Painfully slow? If he can't skate, he's not any good defensively or in transition. Unless we're getting Brock Boeser w/Loui, then NO from me. We can get a cheap G option in UFA, don't need their leftover G as "payment".

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Ekblad rumoured on the market... I'd take him.

I'm sure he's be happy as the kid is from Belle River which is just a 20-30 min drive from Windsor. I'd take him as well, but why does Florida want to trade him? And what would the market be for him?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Ekblad is signed through 2024-25. This is the last season he can be traded before his NMC kicks in so I can see why the roumer started. If it's true there will be a lot of competition for him. IMO his stats are really not #1 or elite top 2 but that is probably because of the lack of talent he plays with. Still that is a considerable cap hit if he only ended up a good top 4.

Maybe the more realistic trade would be us taking on a bad contract from a contending team that wants to go for him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Loui would be the perfect cap dump player. He's a respected pro who can still play defensive minutes for the Wings. Guy lost all his ability to generate scoring, but he's not completely worthless, just dramatically overpaid. Which is great, because we need guys that are overpaid dramatically, and bring in draft capital, that aren't a total tire fire.

Loui and MAF are my favorite two cap dumps by a long shot this off-season. Vancouver will be more motivated to move Loui, so that's a good deal.

Can't wait to add him to my collection.

Send Abdelkader to Canucks with 50%.

Then add the incentive.

Abdelkader 50% <> Eriksson + pick

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Ekblad is signed through 2024-25. This is the last season he can be traded before his NMC kicks in so I can see why the roumer started. If it's true there will be a lot of competition for him. IMO his stats are really not #1 or elite top 2 but that is probably because of the lack of talent he plays with. Still that is a considerable cap hit if he only ended up a good top 4.

Maybe the more realistic trade would be us taking on a bad contract from a contending team that wants to go for him.
Would love to bring Ekblad to his 2nd home, Just feel he'll be to expensive for us to acquire. Bill Zito will want a #2C probably Veleno possible Ekblad replacement probably Mo Seider and that would be a no go shed money and expansion draft protected players he'd want.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Oilers have 11 mil for a starter and 3-4 forwards? Lol oh holland , we’ll gladly help you out and take AA back off your hands if you throw in puljujarvi in the deal haha

Helm 50%off + ehn for puljujarvi AA , leaves holland with 8 mill for a goalie and 1-2 forwards

In the end

2 2nd rounders And puljujarvi and a few months of AA loaned

For helm 50% and ehn . Ha, yes i know it wont happen

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Oilers have 11 mil for a starter and 3-4 forwards? Lol oh holland , we’ll gladly help you out and take AA back off your hands if you throw in puljujarvi in the deal haha

Helm 50%off + ehn for puljujarvi AA , leaves holland with 8 mill for a goalie and 1-2 forwards

In the end

2 2nd rounders And puljujarvi and a few months of AA loaned

For helm 50% and ehn . Ha, yes i know it wont happen

Athanasiou is a restricted free agent. They will just not give him a qualifying offer and he will become UFA.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Athanasiou is a restricted free agent. They will just not give him a qualifying offer and he will become UFA.
At least they get ehn and helm for puljujarvi? Lmao

I just dont see the point of letting AA go so soon , id much rather deal chiasson, oh well

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
My checklist for 20-21 "unused" capspace:

~($5M) 1st Rd. pick
2nd Rd. pick (NYR)
~($5M) C prospect, NHL ready, Top6 projection...(sub value for 1st but prefer prospect)
~($5M) LD prospect, NHL ready, Top4 projection...(sub value for 1st but prefer prospect)

add addl. 1st/2nd/3rd for addl. years on cap dumps factoring in actual true team need (at this stage of rebuild) vs. "nice to have" & current capdump ability & salary. Cap casualties are case by case basis, as are cap dumps.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I will collect in here, what is the whole total of FREE CAP SPACE in NHL. How much there is total space for rest of the free agents. Is there even enough? And how this weaponized cap space could favor us, if we are the rare only team negoating for cap dump -bargains.

(fast look on capfriendly)

Arizona - 0 (only technically over by ~2.8M, thanks to "fake" Hossa caphit. Probably a complete team, Grabner buyout already did their thing.)
Vancouver - 0 (over by 1.5M. Complete 23-man team. Have to load that salary out, or use 21-man roster as a desperate move and bury 2 players. Wait for an injury, and create LTIR situation, whatever.)
St. Louis - 0 (over by 1.1M already + Vince Dunn getting ~2.5M extension. Using already Tarasenko and Steen on LTIR. Don't know are they full seasonal situations or not. Looks pretty bad anyhow.)
Toronto - 0 (1.0M over with complete 23/23 man team. Think they are set, just go with 22-man team.)
Washington - 0 (over by 1M with 21/23 man roster. Too many defencemen, trading either Kempny or Jensen will solve the cap for forward slots. Kempny currently injured for 6 months, also LTIR could do the thing.
Vegas - 0 (900k over with 21/23 man roster. Has to shed something like 2-3M out to open 1-2 extra spots and get under.)
Anaheim - 0 (over only by 1M with 22/23 man roster, but has 6M Kesler on LTIR. so basicly could have 4M cap space. Has had internal money cap in the past, so maybe not taking anything extra. Complete team.
Winnipeg - 0 (700k over without Roslovic and Niku extensions, with 22 man roster. Using already Little LTIR cap space, probably a complete team. Could use extra 3M, if Little LTIR is full used.
----------------
Montreal - 300k cap space with 21/23 man roster = basicly also ZERO cap space.
Edmonton - 700k cap space with 22/23 man roster = basicly ZERO cap space.
Calgary - 1.0M cap space with 21/23 man roster = basicly ZERO cap space.
Colorado - 1.8M cap space with 20/23 man roster = basicly ZERO cap space.
Tampa Bay - 2.9M cap space with 18/23 man roster = basicly ZERO cap space, and over the cap with estimated contracts by 8-10 Million.
NY Islanders - 8.9M cap space with 20/23 man roster = basicly ZERO cap space, Mathew Barzal+Ryan Pulock are gonna take 11M at minimum, and then they're over the cap at least with 2M, probably more.
NY Rangers - 10.8M cap space with 20/23 man roster = Ryan Strome will proably be re-signed for ~5M. Rest of the cap space goes for 1+1M extra guys, plus, letting space for Lafreniere+Sesterkin rookie bonuses. So there's basicly ZERO cap space, to avoid cap problems next year (thanks to those bonuses). These kids are so good that they are gonna get them. That's the reason they already traded Staal for cap space.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dallas - 4.0M cap space with 21/23 man roster. - Can do something with their cap space, but Roope Hintz deal (2-4M) missing and rest could be saved for Miro Heiskanen rookie bonuses. Basicly ZERO space.
Carolina - 4.3M cap space with 20/23 man roster. - Can do something with their cap space, but unsigned Warren Foegele+Haydn Fleury could get 3-4M combined. Maybe ZERO space.
Philadelphia - 4.8M cap space with 19/23 man roster. - Can do something with their cap space, but all could go also for RFAs. Philippe Myers should get 1.6M and extra guys take 1+1+1M. Maybe ZERO space.
Chicago - 5.2M cap space with 20/23 man roster. - Can do something with their cap space, but Dylan Strome should take ~3M. Extra guys take 1+1M. Maybe ZERO space.
Boston - 6.6M cap space with 20/23 man roster. - Can do something with their cap space, but Jake DeBrusk should take ~4.5M. Extra guys take 1+1M. Then it's maybe ZERO space.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pittsburgh - 1.3M cap space with 23/23 man roster. - Complete team, will build probably towards the deadline. No need for cap dumps.
San Jose - 2.3M cap space with 23/23 man roster. - Can do something with their cap space.
Minnesota - 2.7M cap space with 22/23 man roster. - Can do something with their cap space. After an extra guy ~2M.
Buffalo - 6.5M cap space with 20/23 man roster. - Can do something with their cap space. Olofsson is gonna take +3M, and extra guys 1+1M, but it's still ~1.5M free.
Florida - 11.5M cap space with 18/23 man roster. - Can do something with their cap space. MacKenzie Weegar is gonna take ~2.5M, and extra guys 1+1+1+1M, and there's still ~5M free space. Could be already against their internal money budget, though.
Columbus - 12.9M cap space with 20/23 man roster. - Can do something with their cap space. Pierre-Luc Dubois, Kevin Stenlund and Stanislav Gavrikov are gonna take 8-9M combined to complete the team. Then there's still ~4M free space. Could sign some free agent (like Granlund), but there has also been rumors about an internal budget.
Nashville - 12.9M cap space with 19/23 man roster. - Can do something with their cap space. Luke Kunin is gonna take ~2M + extra guys 1+1+1M to complete the team. Then there's still ~6.9M free space. Could sign some biggest free agent left (like Hoffman).
-------------------------------------------
Four Teams who can really weaponize the cap space:
Los Angeles - 13.6M cap space with 19/23 man roster. - No pressure for pay rises for RFAs. ~10M of real space.
Ottawa - 14.3M cap space with 20/23 man roster. - No pressure for pay rises for RFAs. 11M real space, maybe an internal budget.
Detroit - 15.2M cap space with 21/23 man roster. - Mantha + extra guy getting 6-7M. Real space ~8-9M.
New Jersey - 17.1M cap space with 16/23 man roster. - Jesper Bratt is gonna take 2.5M, then 6 extra guys ~5M. Real space ~9-10M.

That's about it. All NHL team situations.

Worst situations are at Tampa Bay and Islanders for sure. Vegas also has to do something. Then Vancouver and St. Louis (if injuries not long-term). Think Washington can do a hockey trade with their defencemen.

Last edited:
Reactions: BinCookin

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think we could fit Patrick Kane and or Towes into any contender's cap space if Chicago trade them to us and then we traded them to a contender with retention. Then we rake in the transaction fees from both teams. It would only hit our cap until 2023 and cost 6 to 12 million depending on if we do one or both, how much we retain, and if they ever retire

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Detroit - 15.2M cap space with 21/23 man roster. - Mantha + extra guy getting 6-7M. Real space ~8-9M.

Isn't that number including Z's contract as well? If the Wings really had to push, couldn't they add him to LTIR and bump that cap space up even further?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Isn't that number including Z's contract as well? If the Wings really had to push, couldn't they add him to LTIR and bump that cap space up even further?
Yes, that number includes Z, and they can free up most of that space by throwing the overpaid players (Nielsen, Staal, Flip, Helm, plus Biega) on waivers before the season, then put them back on the roster when the season begins.

But we know Chris isn't going to spend the money this season, so moot point.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

There isn't that much of salary pressure on other teams, that we have to take Zetts LTIR on use.

There's some pressure, but not that much. Deals will be done.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Johnny Boychuk retires for an eye injury.

There's the Lamoriello loophole for Islanders cap problems.
$3.9M cap space and Barzal isn't signed yet. I suppose they can sign a 1 year bridge deal... and say sorry, that's all we got, lol.

Cizikas' contract ends after the season so they'll have more money to offer next season.

Between Cizikas/Clutterbuck/Komarov, they've got their share of bottom 6 overpaid vets. ($10M for a 4th line basically, we know what that's like)

Edit: Just realized they could bury one of those 3 players and offer a $4.8M bridge, which would probably get it done

Gonna be a strange season, I'm willing to bet at least one team runs a 20 man roster

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Wonder if they'd give Cirelli's rights & TJ/Gourde for conditional & cheap, warm body (Hirose)? (I'd throw Svech/Cholo/Hicketts in that mix if needed).

TBL sign Sergachev 3yrs @ $4.8, with Cirelli & Cernak still to be signed. Wonder which team(s) takes Killorn & possibly 1 of: Gourde/TJ. Even if/after they get Cirelli & Cernak signed they'd only have a 21 man roster MINUS any players they traded/waived from the roster. Killorn is very likely before Jan/start of season.

PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg
: $83,404,166

PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg
: $1,904,166

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $0 ($0
q.svg
)

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $0
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
TODAYS CAP HIT
q.svg
ROSTER SIZE: 19/23
CONTRACTS: 39/50
RESERVE LIST: 62/90

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Wonder if they'd give Cirelli's rights & TJ/Gourde for conditional & cheap, warm body (Hirose)? (I'd throw Svech/Cholo/Hicketts in that mix if needed).

TBL sign Sergachev 3yrs @ $4.8, with Cirelli & Cernak still to be signed. Wonder which team(s) takes Killorn & possibly 1 of: Gourde/TJ. Even if/after they get Cirelli & Cernak signed they'd only have a 21 man roster MINUS any players they traded/waived from the roster. Killorn is very likely before Jan/start of season.

PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg

PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg
: $1,904,166

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $0 ($0
q.svg
)

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
TODAYS CAP HIT
q.svg
ROSTER SIZE: 19/23
CONTRACTS: 39/50
RESERVE LIST: 62/90
Yeah, they are gonna have to do something crazy to get under the cap. Gourde, Palat and TJ have NTC, Killorn a M-NTC (16 team list).

The only real tradeable guys are the 2 RFAs and Sergachev, because they're not trading away Point, even if they have to play with 18 players.

Even if they agreed to be traded, I don't see Chris taking on a garbage contract, and I don't see Tampa doing it for warm bodies. They would at least have to be low level NHL players with $1M salary like Gagner.

I know they're in cap trouble, but I would make them an offer that they can't refuse:

Zadina and Hronek for Cirelli, Sergachev, and 2021 1st

They can move Stamkos back to center as 2C, and they get 2 cost controlled players to replace higher salary guys. Plus they need a true RD anyways.

Red Wings get the 2C they really need, and a left handed D to pair with Seider. Added the 1st rd pick because of the huge cost save for Tampa. I suppose we could ask for more. Maybe 2022 2nd.

Edit: Another idea would be:
Zadina and Stecher for Cirelli and Sergachev, with no added picks

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad