Weaponized cap space?

Should cap space be weaponized, if yes, how much?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
We should exploit both. Free agent are... FREE agents.

Any trade not involving an extra asset (like higher pick for lower pick), is worse than getting a free agent.

Also, I would not collect any extra contracts, for crap players. They won't upgrade the team. Those should upgrade the team, and I'm quite sure no one is gonna trade that level player away, which does upgrade Wings as much as Torey Krug -level of free agent. Because other teams like to keep those level of players.

Only special cases are like Fleury/Lehner -situations, where exists really two quality options and it's sure they keep only 1.

Still, what comes to free agents, signing an extra elite guy, will push somebody else out. For example, Cholowski.

- Getting Krug for free
- Cholowski becomes trade bait
- Cholowski traded for draft pick

Then it's like a trade:

Krug + draftpick <> Cholowski.

It's an insane win in asset management.

I respectfully disagree

Trading for Turris and adding Tolvanen and their 1st(and drafting Askarov) as an example is a much smarter move for us long-term then signing krug

Or trading our 32nd for Fleury and Glass as an example

Detroit is not competing for at least 3 more seasons

If we win a draft lottery in 2021 or 2022 that may speed things up but otherwise we should only be playing the long game

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I respectfully disagree

Trading for Turris and adding Tolvanen and their 1st(and drafting Askarov) as an example is a much smarter move for us long-term then signing krug

Or trading our 32nd for Fleury and Glass as an example

Detroit is not competing for at least 3 more seasons

If we win a draft lottery in 2021 or 2022 that may speed things up but otherwise we should only be playing the long game

If that is the route being taken the Wings can comfortably make both deals.

Who is going to want Kessel when Arizona doesn't have a lot to package with him to grease the skids on a deal? Honestly, wouldn't be interested in bozak, either.

Reactions: MBH

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Who is going to want Kessel when Arizona doesn't have a lot to package with him to grease the skids on a deal? Honestly, wouldn't be interested in bozak, either.
Kessel was bad last year, too. 14 goals/38 points in 70 games.
Scoop: The Oilers are seeking to move Athanasiou before he is due a $3 million qualifying offer by Oct. 7 at 5 p.m. ET – a minimum price that Edmonton cannot afford to pay. Athanasiou is always intriguing because of both his speed and his 30-goal season, but he certainly didn’t produce for the Oilers in a limited 13-game showing (including a qualifying-series loss). Oilers GM Ken Holland is between a rock and a hard place on this one. Holland gave up two second-round picks for Athanasiou at the deadline. Now, teams are thinking he’ll let Athanasiou walk for nothing in the absence of a QO, limiting the return on a trade for his rights.
I'm surprised to see this too. This is a Holland move that would drive me crazy.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Kessel was bad last year, too. 14 goals/38 points in 70 games.

I'm surprised to see this too. This is a Holland move that would drive me crazy.

And he has two years left, not just one. That's a big contract to eat.

At least with AA I can get Holland's reasoning, and before C19 he could have probably been squeezed into their cap regardless of how lousy he looked for them. Looking at their cap, I think holland gets him signed regardless. They have $10m in space and the only other RFA of note is Bear.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

He has two years left on his deal and is owed $8M with a $6M cap hit. I feel like that warrants a first.

It’s a strange contract; the base salary was $1M for the first five years and $3M the sixth year with bonuses of $7M-$7M-$6M-$4M-$3M-$1M.

I wonder if Ilitch would go for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bench

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
And he has two years left, not just one. That's a big contract to eat.

At least with AA I can get Holland's reasoning, and before C19 he could have probably been squeezed into their cap regardless of how lousy he looked for them. Looking at their cap, I think holland gets him signed regardless. They have $10m in space and the only other RFA of note is Bear.

Or maybe they don't qualify him, then sign him?

I can see AA betting on himself, and staying in the show a bit longer with Edmonton.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
I'd be throwing bank at Krug and Petro. Stabilize the blue line so Hronek and Seider have some veteran guys to learn from and take the load off. Otherwise insulating them with lesser talents is how you end up with a couple of Darnell Nurses.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd be throwing bank at Krug and Petro. Stabilize the blue line so Hronek and Seider have some veteran guys to learn from and take the load off. Otherwise insulating them with lesser talents is how you end up with a couple of Darnell Nurses.

That would be nice to get them both, because they would be so perfect partners for each other.

Krug - Pietrangelo
DeKeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Seider

That would be insane. :)

And then I woke up.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
That would be nice to get them both, because they would be so perfect partners for each other.

Krug - Pietrangelo
DeKeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Seider

That would be insane. :)

And then I woke up.
33853831.png

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
With how quick and hard Tippet put Athanasiou on the bench, I'm not sure going back to Edmonton would be high on his list.

Would throw Tippet under the bus pretty soon and sign better coaches. He failed miserably with his decade-old MikeSmith vision.

Like Babcock, or Gallant.

I wonder how long does it take for Holland to sign Babcock as an advisor, to put some heat behind Oilers current coaching staff.

I'm quite sure he could not believe there would be an off-season with Laviolette, Babcock, Gallant, Montgomery -level of guys available.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Would throw Tippet under the bus pretty soon and sign better coaches. He failed miserably with his decade-old MikeSmith vision.

I wonder how long does it take for Holland to sign Babcock as an advisor, to put some heat behind Oilers current coaching staff.

I'm quite sure he could not believe there would be an off-season with Laviolette, Babcock, Gallant, Montgomery -level of guys available.
put me down for thee intensity of patrick roy

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

I didn't know Babcock's philosophy was any less outdated than Tippett's.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
And a very likely candidate is at #10.

(It's Abdelkader)

You think so, eh? How sad for him. You think a team will actually sign him? He's a shell of the player that got him that contract. He's capable of filling a role where I feel like teams would rather give those minutes to their younger and cheaper 3rd line players.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I cannot stress this enough:

DO NOT BUYOUT ABDELKADER THIS OFFSEASON

We don’t need a 6 year caphit for Abby. Carry him as the 14th forward, send him to the AHL, loans him to Europe. I don’t care, just don’t turn a 3 year problem into a 6 year problem

I agree. I really like the loan to Europe part. I bet he'd probably just retire. GR is 2nd option.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

He has two years left on his deal and is owed $8M with a $6M cap hit. I feel like that warrants a first.

It’s a strange contract; the base salary was $1M for the first five years and $3M the sixth year with bonuses of $7M-$7M-$6M-$4M-$3M-$1M.

I wonder if Ilitch would go for this.

Loui would be the perfect cap dump player. He's a respected pro who can still play defensive minutes for the Wings. Guy lost all his ability to generate scoring, but he's not completely worthless, just dramatically overpaid. Which is great, because we need guys that are overpaid dramatically, and bring in draft capital, that aren't a total tire fire.

Loui and MAF are my favorite two cap dumps by a long shot this off-season. Vancouver will be more motivated to move Loui, so that's a good deal.

Can't wait to add him to my collection.

Reactions: SirloinUB

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Loui would be the perfect cap dump player. He's a respected pro who can still play defensive minutes for the Wings. Guy lost all his ability to generate scoring, but he's not completely worthless, just dramatically overpaid. Which is great, because we need guys that are overpaid dramatically, and bring in draft capital, that aren't a total tire fire.

Loui and MAF are my favorite two cap dumps by a long shot this off-season. Vancouver will be more motivated to move Loui, so that's a good deal.

Can't wait to add him to my collection.
I can see it now...

picks-draft-picks.jpg

Reactions: mantha39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad