We have the Cap room!! 2019-20 UFA Targets??

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
If we can trust Keith and Seabrook to not decline any more, and if Forsling proves to be a consistent NHL defenseman, then I agree that all could work.

Still, makes me nervous as hell because young defensemen can be so unpredictable in their development.
Keith and Seabrook get further away from their primes, but Jokiharju and Forsling get closer to their's. Balances out a bit.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

migi

Feb 25, 2015
The Hawks will have control (by either having a player signed or by owning their rights) of Keith, Seabrook, Murphy, Gustafsson, Manning, Forsling, Jokiharju, Boqvist, and Mitchell. Maybe another prospect or two too (Krys?).

That'd make our defensive depth like this
Keith Jokiharju
Gustafsson Seabrook
Forsling Murphy
Boqvist Mitchell
Manning

I like Murphy, but trading him for cap space next year when we're loaded with RHD's biting at the opportunity sounds like a smart choice. I dislike Manning and will hope he magically disappears. Thus our defense would look like this

Keith Jokiharju
Gustafsson Seabrook
Forsling Boqvist/Mitchell
Cheap 7th D

Let Boqvist and Mitchell fight for a spot in preseason. Whoever is more ready and capable to play in the NHL gets a spot, the other goes to Rockford for a year. Sign a 7th defensemen for cheap who'll mostly sit (like Davidson).

That would give us Keith, Seabrook, and Gustafsson for highly experienced players, along with 23yo Forsling, 20yo Jokiharju, and either 20yo Mitchell or 19yo Boqvist. And then whoever else for a 7th defensemen.

But that group above is a good mix of old and young. We don't need to have Beaudin, Mitchell, and Boqvist all start in the same season. We can ease them in when they are ready and ice a relatively competent back end throughout that time frame. No need to trade for or sign more help on the back-end.

For forward acquisitions, either someone cheap like a Dzingel who can help with scoring depth, or sign Panarin. Most times when you sign a UFA, their best years are behind them. Panarin might be the exception due in good part to coming over to the NHL so late in his career. He's my main target, but if he doesn't want to return or the cap won't work, signing a lesser name will hurt less financially, especially when in Dzingel's case, they grew up in the Chicagoland area and would find some extra value in that.

This is exactly how you should do this. Nice post.

Hopefully they let Boqvist try as LD too, not saying he should do it regularly but it would be nice to see.

I would go after both Dzingel and Panarin but I think it requires more moves than Murphy. I wouldn’t trade Anisimov unless we have either 1) Schmaltz proving that he is close to elite 2C or 2) some other fellow shows capability to doing it.

I would definitely sign Krüger to 1y/1M deal based on how he has played this season.

I calculated some and we could go for Panarin and Dzingel if we trade Murphy and Manning magically dissappears. And obviously if guys like Mitchell make a jump. And cap rises like $2mil.

And noticed that my roster had top-9 without Kahun so there should be some skill up-front...

And those who are interested: Panarin at $9,5, Dzingel at $4 and Schmaltz at $5. Imo those are pretty reasonable if the season goes like this with everybody and Panarin indeed wants to come here.

Reactions: LDF

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Nate Schmidt signed for $5.95 AAV for 7 years.

How does Gardiner compare to Schmidt? I assumed Gardiner would get about 7M but many people in the main board thread say both Schmidt is better and was overpaid on this contract.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Still, makes me nervous as hell because young defensemen can be so unpredictable in their development.

That's a risk we have to take. Throw the kids in the deep end, sink or swim. The good news is that only one of Mitchell and Boqvist are needed next season. And if the initial choice fails, replace him with the other kid.

3BlindMice

Oct 27, 2018
Is a Stone, Silfverberg, Dzingel trio doable?! Continue to develop the D in house.

Pull off line combos of :

12/19/Stone
Silfverberg/8/88
20/Dzingel/24
Combo of Sikura, Ejdsell, Fortin, Hayden, etc.

2/28
56/7
42/5

New Backup

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
That's a risk we have to take. Throw the kids in the deep end, sink or swim. The good news is that only one of Mitchell and Boqvist are needed next season. And if the initial choice fails, replace him with the other kid.
Mitchell probably makes the roster before Boqvist

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Is a Stone, Silfverberg, Dzingel trio doable?! Continue to develop the D in house.

Pull off line combos of :

12/19/Stone
Silfverberg/8/88
20/Dzingel/24
Combo of Sikura, Ejdsell, Fortin, Hayden, etc.

2/28
56/7
42/5

New Backup
Let's just hope for 1 major UFA signing next year at a reasonable price. Then perhaps a major trade and younger assets to keep developing.

8 and 88 are not a good match. They both like to hang on to the puck too long. You need to surround Schmaltz with speed. He loves the up and down game.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
You have Mitchell above Boqvist?

I think he meant that Mitchell is at this point arguably more ready to be NHL’er than Boqvist while Boqvist has higher upside.

I at least think that way and would bet that Mitchell makes the team next season and Boqvist wont.

But lot will happen before next season so it’s coin toss and nobody isn’t right.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I was just messing around on Cap Friendly and thinking about what this team could be next season.

Signing Panarin for $9 million and Schmaltz for $5 could give this team a really talented and deep forward core, and not having to pay Jokiharju for two more years allows it to happen.

You don’t need to move Anisimov, Saad, or Murphy to make it fit under the cap, but would need to the following year to fit DeBrincat’s extension. Feel free to change up my lineup, but this is just how I thought about it.

Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
DeBrincat-Toews-Saad
Schmaltz-Kahun-Sikura
Fortin-Kampf/Johnson-Hayden

Keith-Jokiharju
Gustafsson-Murphy/Boqvist/Mitchell
Forsling-Seabrook

Crawford
Backup goalie

Maybe I have my homer goggles on, but that looks like a deep championship contender to me.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I was just messing around on Cap Friendly and thinking about what this team could be next season.

Signing Panarin for $9 million and Schmaltz for $5 could give this team a really talented and deep forward core, and not having to pay Jokiharju for two more years allows it to happen.

You don’t need to move Anisimov, Saad, or Murphy to make it fit under the cap, but would need to the following year to fit DeBrincat’s extension. Feel free to change up my lineup, but this is just how I thought about it.

Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
DeBrincat-Toews-Saad
Schmaltz-Kahun-Sikura

Keith-Jokiharju
Forsling-Seabrook

Crawford
Backup goalie

Maybe I have my homer goggles on, but that looks like a deep championship contender to me.

It’s close, man. Need something unforeseen on defense like a big jump from Jokiharju and/or Boqvist and Mitchell, but the pieces are in place for it to happen.

I’ve seen a lot of the Sharks so far. Karlsson isn’t close to what he once was. Unless that changes, which I doubt, yeah, it’s Panarin or bust.

However, it would be interesting to see what you could put together spending that money on players other than Panarin and see how it compares.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It’s close, man. Need something unforeseen on defense like a big jump from Jokiharju and/or Boqvist and Mitchell, but the pieces are in place for it to happen.

I’ve seen a lot of the Sharks so far. Karlsson isn’t close to what he once was. Unless that changes, which I doubt, yeah, it’s Panarin or bust.

However, it would be interesting to see what you could put together spending that money on players other than Panarin and see how it compares.

This may be one of those rare cases where the money is better spent on one elite piece rather than 2-3 average to good pieces.

Having a top-6 built around Panarin-Kane and DeBrincat-Toews already puts the Hawks in the upper echelon of teams in the league. Add in young and speedy depth talent in Schmaltz-Kahun-Sikura, and you could have one of the deepest forward groups in the league.

Then you have a speed, defense, and size element on the fourth line. I don’t know how much more they’d need to spend on the bottom-6.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This may be one of those rare cases where the money is better spent on one elite piece rather than 2-3 average to good pieces.

Having a top-6 built around Panarin-Kane and DeBrincat-Toews already puts the Hawks in the upper echelon of teams in the league. Add in young and speedy depth talent in Schmaltz-Kahun-Sikura, and you could have one of the deepest forward groups in the league.

Then you have a speed, defense, and size element on the fourth line. I don’t know how much more they’d need to spend on the bottom-6.

I totally agree with all of it. I’m just saying if he goes somewhere else, do we spend it now or wait another year to acquire the elite talent.

Time is running out on a few of these guys, but I absolutely agree with your idea to spend the money on one elite player if possible.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I totally agree with all of it. I’m just saying if he goes somewhere else, do we spend it now or wait another year to acquire the elite talent.

Time is running out on a few of these guys, but I absolutely agree with your idea to spend the money on one elite player if possible.

Gotcha, that makes sense.

I’d probably throw money at Stone if Panarin goes elsewhere and put him in Panarin’s spot.

If both head elsewhere, then I think you find the best LW fit remaining for Kane, and maybe go for a higher-end backup goalie, or bring in Duchene and move out Anisimov.

Either way, this team could be competitive next year without having to give up any prospects, if Stan is aggressive and is willing to go up tight to the cap.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

I’d probably throw money at Stone if Panarin goes elsewhere and put him in Panarin’s spot.

If both head elsewhere, then I think you find the best LW fit remaining for Kane, and maybe go for a higher-end backup goalie, or bring in Duchene and move out Anisimov.

Either way, this team could be competitive next year without having to give up any prospects, if Stan is aggressive and is willing to go up tight to the cap.
if they both get moved at the deadline, I doubt we get a shot at either...Panarin has a small list of teams he wants to play for and has stated it out loud...so if he gets traded to one of those teams, I am pretty sure he will sign that extension and off the board he goes. Stone seems like a good dude, if a team trades for him, I dont think he hits the market either as long as the offer is good which it obviously would be...

so, I do love the thought of all of this, just not sure we will have the opportunity to land either of them...bottom line - trade for one of them and guarantee we get him.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Those are good plans. One thing I’ll add is if we go for the lesser players other than Panarin and Stone, we should go no or limited NTC and pay more if necessary.

Later on, we can move them out, get something good and sign an elite talent when the opportunity presents itself. Or, we may need that money for raises, which would be even better.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Those are good plans. One thing I’ll add is if we go for the lesser players other than Panarin and Stone, we should go no or limited NTC and pay more if necessary.

Later on, we can move them out, get something good and sign an elite talent when the opportunity presents itself. Or, we may need that money for raises, which would be even better.

Agree on no NTC clause for lesser players.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
if they both get moved at the deadline, I doubt we get a shot at either...Panarin has a small list of teams he wants to play for and has stated it out loud...so if he gets traded to one of those teams, I am pretty sure he will sign that extension and off the board he goes. Stone seems like a good dude, if a team trades for him, I dont think he hits the market either as long as the offer is good which it obviously would be...

so, I do love the thought of all of this, just not sure we will have the opportunity to land either of them...bottom line - trade for one of them and guarantee we get him.

Do we have the assets we want to give up in order to land those guys? I think we need to keep all our higher end prospects, especially on defense.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
and that my friend is the dilemma I see unfolding soon....

The future is bright enough where I would rather keep the prospects than go all in on another run by trading some for Panarin or Stone. I will not be upset if we go that way, but it’s not the best move IMO.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The future is bright enough where I would rather keep the prospects than go all in on another run by trading some for Panarin or Stone. I will not be upset if we go that way, but it’s not the best move IMO.
it is a tough call to make, the kids are still unknown no matter how promising they look...I am okay if they make that splash or do not, I understand it both ways...I think we could get Panarin for something not obscene due to his situation, but that still will be a 1st rounder and a top prospect like Beaudin...I am fine with that as that doesn't hurt too bad, just have to continue to draft well with all our other picks.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
it is a tough call to make, the kids are still unknown no matter how promising they look...I am okay if they make that splash or do not, I understand it both ways...I think we could get Panarin for something not obscene due to his situation, but that still will be a 1st rounder and a top prospect like Beaudin...I am fine with that as that doesn't hurt too bad, just have to continue to draft well with all our other picks.

no way ..... not with the range of this yr draft.

migi

Feb 25, 2015

Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
DeBrincat-Toews-Saad
Schmaltz-Kahun-Sikura

Keith-Jokiharju
Forsling-Seabrook

Crawford
Backup goalie

How much did the cap rise in this scenario? And how much cap space there was left?

That is a solid looking team, do you have any room for extra forwards/d-men also?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad