We have the Cap room!! 2019-20 UFA Targets??

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Schmidt will want 6-7 year which doesn’t line up with the teams needs.

Every FA will want that, honestly.

Honestly, outside of Keith, Seabrook (barring a compliance buyout), Joker and maybe Gus, who in this current defense core are we going to keep. I doubt all of the prospects in the pipeline make the jump to the NHL, simply because a lot of them are going to be bottom 4 guys, and we'll have enough of those, especially when Keith ages into that bracket. Schmidt can be a top 4, probably top pairing guy for most of those years.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Every FA will want that, honestly.

Honestly, outside of Keith, Seabrook (barring a compliance buyout), Joker and maybe Gus, who in this current defense core are we going to keep. I doubt all of the prospects in the pipeline make the jump to the NHL, simply because a lot of them are going to be bottom 4 guys, and we'll have enough of those, especially when Keith ages into that bracket. Schmidt can be a top 4, probably top pairing guy for most of those years.

I know but we have 4-5 D coming that have his ability or better. If half hot we don’t have room for him. HJ, AB, and IM all should hit.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
One is a D and one is a forward.

We have studs coming on D.

I guess, but I wouldn't rule out signing a defensemen long term. Not every kid is going to make it. They have a lot of holes back there.

(I know next to nothing about the D prospects themselves)

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I guess, but I wouldn't rule out signing a defensemen long term. Not every kid is going to make it. They have a lot of wholes back there.

(I know next to nothing about the D prospects themselves)

Fair enough. If half of them hit we don’t have room for NS.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I know but we have 4-5 D coming that have his ability or better. If half hot we don’t have room for him. HJ, AB, and IM all should hit.

I have such a hard time beleiving that all three hit as top-4 guys next season. I really really hope you’re right though, this is one I will happily be wrong about.

Reactions: JaegerDice

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I have such a hard time beleiving that all three hit as top-4 guys next season. I really really hope you’re right though, this is one I will happily be wrong about.

I am not saying next season but in the next 1-3 is realistic. Mitchell should step in right away. Boqvist will be high end offensively early with learning on D.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

This is pretty much my position. I think it's really unlikely. I hope it happens.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Joker has already hit at 19...

Boqvist looked good enough against NHL competition at 18 for me to feel confident he makes it next season at 19 as well.

Mitchell, Beaudin and Krys are the next big 3 at defense...only 1 of them needs to become a top 4 defensemen...only 1...odds are pretty strong that will happen.

Keith, Seabs, Murphy and Gus could round out the the rest....obviously with Joker and Boqvist there..

Joker (already a top 4), Boqvist and Mitchell in our top 4 in 2 years doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me?????? you add these 3 in their prime years and we have a different team completely.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Boqvist looked good enough against NHL competition at 18 for me to feel confident he makes it next season at 19 as well.

Mitchell, Beaudin and Krys are the next big 3 at defense...only 1 of them needs to become a top 4 defensemen...only 1...odds are pretty strong that will happen.

Keith, Seabs, Murphy and Gus could round out the the rest....obviously with Joker and Boqvist there..

Joker (already a top 4), Boqvist and Mitchell in our top 4 in 2 years doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me?????? you add these 3 in their prime years and we have a different team completely.

I'm guessing you would have said Forsling hit last year after 9 games too.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Forsling looked really good for the first 20-25 games.

That's my point. And then he didn't. These are kids. I think it's a bad idea (generally speaking) to start penciling in guys for the next 3-4 years. Or at least not all of them to the point when you are turning down proven help on the FA market.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Are you sure we can unequivocally say Jokiharju is already a top-4 defenseman?

Also, the Boqvist prediction is a bit of a leap based on that sample size. Again, I sure hope you’re right, and I’ll gladly be wrong on this.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
That's my point. And then he didn't. These are kids. I think it's a bad idea (generally speaking) to start penciling in guys for the next 3-4 years. Or at least not all of them to the point when you are turning down proven help on the FA market.

This is my point. These kids could fall off a cliff at any moment.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Disagree. Forsling struggles started when Rutta got hurt. Q was using him as a shutdown d Early.

You have to use young talent now. Gone are the days of spending 2-3 years in the AHL. They make the jump much sooner now and acclimate much more quickly.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Disagree. Forsling struggles started when Rutta got hurt. Q was using him as a shutdown d Early.

You have to use young talent now. Gone are the days of spending 2-3 years in the AHL. They make the jump much sooner now and acclimate much more quickly.

You have to play young talent for sure. I don't disagree with that. I just think assuming all of your young talent (in this case the 3-4 d men) is going to pan out isn't likely to happen.

Odds are better that he is than he isn’t at this point.

I've been very impressed, but I'm not sure I'd say that. It's 9 games.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You have to play young talent for sure. I don't disagree with that. I just think assuming all of your young talent (in this case the 3-4 d men) is going to pan out isn't likely to happen.

I've been very impressed, but I'm not sure I'd say that. It's 9 games.

I am assuming half hit. Joker, AB, GF, IM, NB and to a lesser extent Krys and a few others.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
nope, don't really like him, not a fan...said that many times.. I hope he comes back strong this year, we need him too, but he hasn't or isn't in my core for the defense moving forward...
One thing I learned about young NHL DMen: it ususally takes a long time to develop. I'm going to keep patient with Gus, Forsling, and Murphy. I'm more concerned about Q having the patience to develop them correctly. Both Gus and Forsling have the talent. Let's see if they have the mental fortitude.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
One thing I learned about young NHL DMen: it ususally takes a long time to develop. I'm going to keep patient with Gus, Forsling, and Murphy. I'm more concerned about Q having the patience to develop them correctly. Both Gus and Forsling have the talent. Let's see if they have the mental fortitude.

So if we still need to have patience with Gus, Forsling, and Murphy then isn’t it pretty dangerous to count on Jokiharju, Boqvist, and Mitchell in important top-4 roles this and next year?

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad