We have the Cap room!! 2019-20 UFA Targets??

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Karlsson will be 29 next year. IF Karlsson is healthy, he probably has ~5 years of his prime left.

However, if there are questions about Karlsson's health ... that would change the equation. Karlsson either needs to take a discount OR agree to a shorter contract. If not, I'm going in another direction. The Hawks can't afford another non performing expensive contract.

Yes, this of course all hinges on his health. Totally agree with you.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I don't think we should sign Panarin at all. Not for the 10M he'll command.
Much cheaper to go after Dzingel, Duchene, Skinner, etc.

Skinner is the player if the team can swing it with the salary cap.

but i really like Nate Schmidt - Dman.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
How does Karlsson not help us long term?

He’s going to remain an elite 1D for what 4-5 years? That brings us to the end of the Toews and Kane contracts, and right to the point where Boqvist should be hitting his prime.

There’s no point in wasting money on more depth scoring if this defense is garbage.
I have concerns with his health. I'd be very afraid of ending up with another Seabroook contract.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I want Panarin back

It would be incredible to get him back, but I think they need to swing for immediate help on defense.

It’s not smart to count on half your defense being under the legal drinking age even with a prime Keith. The Hawks won’t have a prime Keith anymore.

Those guys will eventually be good, but I think it’s too early to count on them being key cogs on a contending defense.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Karlsson is ideal, I would also support adding Myers. Duchene and Panarin up front would be fun but this team needs top 4 D more than anything.

You could probably get both Gardiner and Myers for the price of Karlsson, that’s not a horrible complete second pairing.

Also, I know he’s not a UFA, but I’d love to somehow land Faulk.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
How has Karlsson's mobility been? I worry that his best days are behind him due to that ankle problem.
I am thinking the same thing as it is.

I thought he would come out flying this year after having a full off season to workout and get in proper game shape for the season, but he doesn't look like the Karlsson of old so far.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Panarin or Duchene don’t help you more than Karlsson.

We need to be prepared for Boqvist to take years to develop into an elite d-man. By that time, Toews and Kane will be in decline.

There are cheaper options than EK I think it would be better to spread it out then just go all in on EK.

Panarin at 9 or 9.5 or Duchene at 8 then use rest to upgrade D.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Out of the D options, Stralman makes sense, since he won't be too expensive, is pretty good in a shut down role, and is a RHD that could play with Keith.
let's say 5-6mil on 3-4yr contract. (Admittedly, I haven't seen a whole lot of him over the last couple of years, but he has played very well vs Hawks during our games)

From the forwards, I really like Mark Stone, but fear another team will pay him too much. (I'd go 7.5, maybe 8)

Mid range guys, Skinner, Simmonds, and Lee

Some cheaper options may be Brock Nelson, Donskoi, and Dzingel.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
There are cheaper options than EK I think it would be better to spread it out then just go all in on EK.

Panarin at 9 or 9.5 or Duchene at 8 then use rest to upgrade D.
We donèt have that much, unless the cap makes a big jump. I estimate we will have around 8mil in free space after resigning Schmaltz for around 5mil, and 6 or 7 other spots for 7-8mil.

We have around 18mil in cap space with 14 players signed.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
You could probably get both Gardiner and Myers for the price of Karlsson, that’s not a horrible complete second pairing.

Also, I know he’s not a UFA, but I’d love to somehow land Faulk.

I'd pass on Gardiner. Real good PMD but a pylon in his own end. Gonna be overpaid. Lots of speculation he gets over 6 million

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Mark Stone and Nate Schmidt are my dream acquisitions.

I'd love Karlsson, but we can't afford him.

Reactions: LavalPhantom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad