We have the Cap room!! 2019-20 UFA Targets??

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Agree with the draft, don’t think signing another elite forward means this team is competitive next year. That’s my only point. They should continue focusing on gathering as much young talent as possible, then go for the big FA splash in two years.

Unfortunately, I don’t think McDonough will allow Stan to go with that plan and will force him to overpay for Panarin this upcoming FA.
It wont be a major overall boost next year but if they sit 1 more year what is the market for ufa and really what is there gonna be win with. Unless they take on bad contracts that end after next season I don't see how they cant spend that cap.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It wont be a major overall boost next year but if they sit 1 more year what is the market for ufa and really what is there gonna be win with. Unless they take on bad contracts that end after next season I don't see how they cant spend that cap.

You’re not forced to spend the cap space. I’d rather see them take on one-year cap dumps along with other assets than see them spend cap space just because they have it

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
we need a 3rd round pick back, I am sure Bowman will take something back and get a 3rd rounder...likely Rutta or Manning being sent out, take something back a bit worse and get that 3rd/2nd round pick I know he is coveting right now.

Anisimov keeps getting put with Kane which works and makes sense but also helps in getting his value back up to at least a 2-3rd round pick or a solid prospect or two back..

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
You’re not forced to spend the cap space. I’d rather see them take on one-year cap dumps along with other assets than see them spend cap space just because they have it

I don't see the need to do this. There are two major impact forwards hitting the market and they'll have the cap space to get one...If Panarin or Stone say come get me then get it done and hopefully the kids on D pan out...Toews and Kane still have good hockey left in them, and I still believe Keith and Crawford can be contributors on competitive team

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't see the need to do this. There are two major impact forwards hitting the market and they'll have the cap space to get one...If Panarin or Stone say come get me then get it done and hopefully the kids on D pan out...Toews and Kane still have good hockey left in them, and I still believe Keith and Crawford can be contributors on competitive team
I am with you on this, if Stone and Panarin hit the market, these guys just rarely ever do...we need to go ALL in on one of them as the following years crop looks nothing great and some of those guys will be resigned prior to the start of that season...either of these guys can be a difference maker here with a top 3 pick if that is how it shakes out this season...

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

I guess no harm no foul in grabbing an impact guy a year before you actually need them.

I just think the team is no more competitive next year than it is this year.

The defense is the biggest issue, and rolling in 2 more 19/20 year olds plus another year of decline from Keith and Seabrook doesn’t make the defense better.

Faster? Probably. But not good enough to make this team a contender. This team will compete once Jokiharju, Boqvist, and Mitchell are able to carry (not just be present) a playoff-caliber defense. I think that’s still years away.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I guess no harm no foul in grabbing an impact guy a year before you actually need them.

The defense is the biggest issue, and rolling in 2 more 19/20 year olds plus another year of decline from Keith and Seabrook doesn’t make the defense better.

Faster? Probably. But not good enough to make this team a contender. This team will compete once Jokiharju, Boqvist, and Mitchell are able to carry (not just be present) a playoff-caliber defense. I think that’s still years away.

the team would be leaps and bounds better next year if they add Hughes/Kakko, Panarin/Stone and Boqvist, Mitchell and Barratt..at least in my opinion...idk if they'll take that big of a step to be top 4 in conference, but the potential is there to really surprise people and absolutely make the playoffs...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

There aren’t any forwards as good as Panarin or Stone available the following year and you’d probably end up paying almost as much for a much lesser player. A guy like Taylor Hall... who I don’t think is going to be a regular 80-90 point player like he was last year.

Yuck.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
the team would be leaps and bounds better next year if they add Hughes/Kakko, Panarin/Stone and Boqvist, Mitchell and Barratt..at least in my opinion...idk if they'll take that big of a step to be top 4 in conference, but the potential is there to really surprise people and absolutely make the playoffs...

I’m not adamantly opposed to going after one of the two big fish, I just don’t think it makes us a contender next year, even with a Kakko coming in.

I think we’re getting too far ahead of ourselves. The defense is bad, and will be bad for a while.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I’m not adamantly opposed to going after one of the two big fish, I just don’t think it makes us a contender next year, even with a Kakko coming in.

I think we’re getting too far ahead of ourselves. The defense is bad, and will be bad for a while.

Yes, there's a timing issue (with our kiddie D corps and the big dawg UFAs). So be it.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It doesn’t need to be about just next year. The team would be together for a while as most of the important pieces have term.

That’s true, I just worry about age. We need to be sure that whomever we sign will remain elite for the next 4-5 years, especially with all the money that will be tied up in them.

I’d like to think both Stone and Panarin will, but you never know.

We can’t afford to have three guys on the backside of their careers making $10 million +

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Habs fan coming in peace.

Would you guys consider being sellers on Toews? If so, does this package get the deal done?

Nick Suzuki + Ryan Poehling + 2019 1st

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Habs fan coming in peace.

Would you guys consider being sellers on Toews? If so, does this package get the deal done?

Nick Suzuki + Ryan Poehling + 2019 1st
I would take it, but it'd be a tough sell to fans. The organization is probably afraid of empty seats... but the value is there. Where do I sign?

Reactions: Cobra Commander

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Here is another idea no one has talked about. What about going after Methot and Karlson?

Years ago Washington was brutal on D. They went into FA and got Niskanen and Orpik. Greatly improved their D. Obviously Orpik is what he is these days. But with all this cap, if we were to get a top F early in the draft this is another option. In this situation we would move out Murphy most likely.

Its an outside the box idea. We need someone who can play tough 1st or 2nd pair minutes to insulate Keith. We cannot just throw a bunch of rookies out there and say "have fun" if we want them to develop and we want to be competitive. That only should happen if we want to go the route of EDM or Zona and screw up their development. D men should be over ripe rather than rushed into a gong show. Besides, most would prefer to have too many assets rather than a lack of...I like our young D but I see no one on the left side who will be a top 4 D in the next 3 years on a strong team

I would be open to signing just one of the two I mentioned above, but if we got both I think that would be a game changer for our D. Methot would come cheaper as he has had injury problems, but him and Karlson were fantastic together.

If we do not make this offer I surely expect one of the Islanders, PHI, Rangers to offer both these guys deals.

If they both come as a package, I can see Karlson taking 10 to 10.5 and Methot taking 3.5 to 4 on a shorter term deal

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Here is another idea no one has talked about. What about going after Methot and Karlson?

Years ago Washington was brutal on D. They went into FA and got Niskanen and Orpik. Greatly improved their D. Obviously Orpik is what he is these days. But with all this cap, if we were to get a top F early in the draft this is another option. In this situation we would move out Murphy most likely.

Its an outside the box idea. We need someone who can play tough 1st or 2nd pair minutes to insulate Keith. We cannot just throw a bunch of rookies out there and say "have fun."

I would be open to signing just one of the two I mentioned above, but if we got both I think that would be a game changer for our D. Methot would come cheaper as he has had injury problems, but him and Karlson were fantastic together.

If we do not make this offer I surely expect one of the Islanders, PHI, Rangers to offer both these guys deals.

If they both come as a package, I can see Karlson taking 10 to 10.5 and Methot taking 3.5 to 4 on a shorter term deal

I think going for D makes this team competitive faster. I think the young D prospects will be the core of a competive team in the future, but if you want to win-now, then you let them develop at lower levels for now while developed guys play in the NHL.

Reactions: CanadianHawks

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

Its an outside the box idea. We need someone who can play tough 1st or 2nd pair minutes to insulate Keith. We cannot just throw a bunch of rookies out there and say "have fun" if we want them to develop and we want to be competitive. That only should happen if we want to go the route of EDM or Zona and screw up their development. D men should be over ripe rather than rushed into a gong show. Besides, most would prefer to have too many assets rather than a lack of...I like our young D but I see no one on the left side who will be a top 4 D in the next 3 years on a strong team

No to both. Methot has barely played this season or last, and he's already 33. Karlsson, meanwhile, is a damn good defensemen, but his foot injury is keeping him from being the elite level talent he's known for and he will be payed like an elite player.

Good top 4 guys cannot be easily picked up for nothing. You either sign them in free agency for well above their worth, or you give up a ton of assets to get them. So whether people here like admitting it or not, we need to just wait until guys like Boqvist, Mitchell, and Beaudin can come into the league and make a difference for us to finally be a truly competitive team again.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
No to both. Methot has barely played this season or last, and he's already 33. Karlsson, meanwhile, is a damn good defensemen, but his foot injury is keeping him from being the elite level talent he's known for and he will be payed like an elite player.

Good top 4 guys cannot be easily picked up for nothing. You either sign them in free agency for well above their worth, or you give up a ton of assets to get them. So whether people here like admitting it or not, we need to just wait until guys like Boqvist, Mitchell, and Beaudin can come into the league and make a difference for us to finally be a truly competitive team again.

Agree, for the most part.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

for what Karlsson expects/wants - that is a hell no from me too...he is still a very good player, he has been up and down but no way in hell I want to be on the hook for 7 years of him.

better off throwing money at Gardiner or trying to poach Faulk away in Carolina IMO.

I think we stick to the plan - build our defense from within. wait to see if Stone or Panarin make it to the market, if so then ATTACK and see what we can get between the two.

At the deadline move out Anisimov, Rutta and Manning freeing up more cap space and taking back a contract with an asset or two...

Draft early and often lol.....

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
You guys should unload and rebuild but I doubt the Hawks go that route.
I don't disagree, but you have to remember where this franchise was in 2005-06. There would be so much fan backlash and calling Rocky a chip off the old block and such. I am resigned to a half decade(at least) of mediocrity, but I'll cry in my 3 Cups that I never thought I'd see. We witnessed the golden age of Blackhawks hockey, and I'm ok with the coming half decade to decade of awfulness to mediocrity.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad