We have the Cap room!! 2019-20 UFA Targets??

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
If the Hawks get Jack Hughes they shouldn't sign anyone this off season and tank another season.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
If the Hawks get Jack Hughes they shouldn't sign anyone this off season and tank another season.
the Bhawks as an org is ok when the owners are making money. but if they start loosing revenue, i would imagine the owners leaning on the powers to be to change , whether that is signing fa's or trading.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
the Bhawks as an org is ok when the owners are making money. but if they start loosing revenue, i would imagine the owners leaning on the powers to be to change , whether that is signing fa's or trading.

The owners will lean on the “powers that be”, what the f***?

The owners ARE the powers that be. Do you think McDonough has more power than Wirtz?

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Panarin - AA - Kane
Saad - Toews - Hayden
Debrincat - Strome - Sikura
Fortin - Kampf - Kahun
Highmore
Martinsen

Forsling - Murphy
Gustafsson - Jokiharju
Keith - Mitchell/Boqvist
Seabrook
Hillman

Crawford
Forsberg

Waive Manning, trade Perlini for a similar struggling young player or prospect.

Panarin will be bang for buck best value in FA, if he get's 10.5M. He's a line driver, a game breaker, and his improved his game a lot.

Saad-Toews-Hayden will be a heavy, possession, match-up line.

Debrincat-Strome-Sikura is the secondary offensive line, that needs to be sheltered a bit more.

Kampf-Kahun duo has looked great, more of a 3rd line, defensive checking unit then a throwaway 4th line.

Won't speak much on defense, best we can do with the personnel we have, without overpaying for a UFA or trade.

If we get Hughes or Kakko, then they slot on the wing with Saad and Toews, and Hayden goes 4LW.

PP 1 -
Debrincat-Strome-Kane
Panarin-Jokiharju

PP 2 -
Saad-Toews-Sikura
Forsling-Gustafsson

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Panarin - AA - Kane
Saad - Toews - Hayden
Fortin - Kampf - Kahun
Highmore
Martinsen

Forsling - Murphy
Gustafsson - Jokiharju
Keith - Mitchell/Boqvist
Seabrook
Hillman

Crawford
Forsberg

Panarin will be bang for buck best value in FA, if he get's 10.5M. He's a line driver, a game breaker, and his improved his game a lot.

Debrincat-Strome-Sikura is the secondary offensive line, that needs to be sheltered a bit more.

Kampf-Kahun duo has looked great, more of a 3rd line, defensive checking unit then a throwaway 4th line.

Won't speak much on defense, best we can do with the personnel we have, without overpaying for a UFA or trade.

If we get Hughes or Kakko, then they slot on the wing with Saad and Toews, and Hayden goes 4LW.

PP 1 -
Debrincat-Strome-Kane
Panarin-Jokiharju

PP 2 -
Saad-Toews-Sikura
Forsling-Gustafsson

At first I was like "meh", but as I kept reading I started to like this idea more and more.

Kane is pouting because his friends keep getting traded, bringing back Panarin will make him feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

That third like could be our best third line in years, and that fourth line has offensive ability.

Don't mind this much at all the more I consider it.

Reactions: Rolo

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Panarin - AA - Kane
Saad - Toews - Hayden
Fortin - Kampf - Kahun
Highmore
Martinsen

Forsling - Murphy
Gustafsson - Jokiharju
Keith - Mitchell/Boqvist
Seabrook
Hillman

Crawford
Forsberg

PP 1 -
Debrincat-Strome-Kane
Panarin-Jokiharju

PP 2 -
Saad-Toews-Sikura
Forsling-Gustafsson

ref to Hayden, i really think that he may not be nothing more than a line 4 type of energy kind of a player. you are really doing a disfavor to Toews and Saad.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s and Rolo

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
ref to Hayden, i really think that he may not be nothing more than a line 4 type of energy kind of a player. you are really doing a disfavor to Toews and Saad.

He's just a placeholder. You could put Kahun there, but the way this team is playing, we'll likely see Kakko or Hughes.

Panarin-AA-Kane
Saad-Toews-Kakko
Debrincat-Strome-Sikura
Hayden-Kampf-Kahun

Reactions: G0AT and LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
He's just a placeholder. You could put Kahun there, but the way this team is playing, we'll likely see Kakko or Hughes.

Panarin-AA-Kane
Saad-Toews-Kakko
Debrincat-Strome-Sikura
Hayden-Kampf-Kahun
you make a great explanation.... many thanks

Reactions: Rolo

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

The Hawks are the 4th highest valued team in the NHL and climbed quite a ways over the billion dollar mark last year. They're making money.

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
I think Hayden needs to be in one of the top two lines to develop his game properly and could indeed be a big asset down the road. He has potential but has he been used the right way. Giving him a 4th line role will just stunt his growth. He is young, he is teachable and he has size and not afraid to use it.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The Hawks are the 4th highest valued team in the NHL and climbed quite a ways over the billion dollar mark last year. They're making money.
i know i saw that article .... i am talking about the daily game or season tickets orders giving up on the team.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think Hayden needs to be in one of the top two lines to develop his game properly and could indeed be a big asset down the road. He has potential but has he been used the right way. Giving him a 4th line role will just stunt his growth. He is young, he is teachable and he has size and not afraid to use it.
while i do like your enthusiasm, one can not teach the ability to score in the 20+ goals per. there is a fine line of that kind of players and others.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So Cap expected to go up to a bit over $83 million (would be over $85 if NHLPA approves full 5% inflator..but they want less in escrow ...so they will only approve a lesser %inflator...hence the $83 million expectation)...

I notice TB will have approx. $10 million in cap space for just 16 signed payers ...they will need to re-sign or re-fill 3 den spots because Coburn Girardi and Strawman are all UFA ..

Thus the signing Brayden Point RFA problem. They have 4G other RFAS as well.

They could try trading Tyler Johnson to save another bit over $5 million ..but still they gotta add back in 7 players ...

Even if they got that extra $5mil savings via trading Johnson it still would be difficult to add back Point and 6 other positions (at least 3 on D ) to make a 23 man roster. .Point probably deserves an $8 to $9 million or more ...but let us say hecre-signs for $8.5 per....That means they have less than $7 million for 6 more players to get to 23 man roster.

You are not getting much impact with that ...especially on D missing 3 key vets like Girardi Coburn and Strawm if all to be replaced by cheap slightly over $1 million only players.

So they seem to be in a pickle.

And so what if Point gets an Offer Sheet?

The compensation this season is only 1 first
1 second
1 third

for a bit over $8.1 million!!!It probably goes up another $200k -$400k given the cap rising to $83 million.

So expect Point to get offer sheets ...teams would be happy to get him for just a 1st 2 nd and 3Rd rounder ...

But some teams would probably pay to the next level of compensation.. I do not think teams would go to the highest level of compensation ...involving 4 first rounders ..
But if point ads for a $10..5 deal ,I think we are in that area.

However ...I note that the comp rule states you take the Lesser of the contract term offered or 5 years to determine the denominator to divide the compensation AAV level ...if my understanding is correct then this means if a team offered him $8.5
X7 years = $59.5 total contract ,then you could only use 5 years to divide the amount to get. The the level.of compensation ...That pushes up the level to the range of the highest band and that means 4 first rounders to get him..and I doubt teams would do it.

So unless he accepts a deal for 5 years involving less than that 4 first rounder level of compensation ,I doubt teams would offer. sheet him.

Maybe 5 yearso at $10 million per ...that would be only the 2nd highest compensation band ...still costing 2 firsts and more but not the killer 4 firsts..

Now sure ...you first want to try signing ufas for no picks given to get them..

But if you have the cap space ...you could target Point on an offer sheet knowing TB hard pressed to match or they would talk to you about a trade if they knew you were going to offer sheet him and so they would either either let him go or try trading him if they liked the cases back instead of just that 2nd highest level. L of compensation in picks back ..

They are in a vulnerable position it seems to me .

No doubt he is a real star if not a superstar
..And given his young age still you get prime years a lot longer than signing a 27 yrold Panarin for about the same $10 mil plus...

Last edited:
Reactions: G0AT

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
This is why we want to suck shit for Jack Hughes and sign Panarin...that roster has so much talent...let Perlini and Hayden battle it out for 13F and thats your 2019-2020 roster...i'd be ecstatic if thats how it plays it

upload_2018-12-8_11-46-56.png

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
here is a team with Kaapo Kakko...the thing is they really only need two things to happen to significantly upgrade the roster, one is draft in the top 5 and select a top 6 forward that can play next year...two is sign Panarin (or Stone)...then you're looking at a dangerous team again

upload_2018-12-8_11-52-25.png

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
here is a team with Kaapo Kakko...the thing is they really only need two things to happen to significantly upgrade the roster, one is draft in the top 5 and select a top 6 forward that can play next year...two is sign Panarin (or Stone)...then you're looking at a dangerous team again

View attachment 162909

The defense is still shaky at best.

You’re counting on 3 guys who can’t even order a beer yet to carry that defense, along with a continuing to decline Duncan Keith.

I’m fine throwing those young guys to the wolves next year in order to develop, but I don’t have expectations of them carrying a playoff-caliber defense.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
The defense is still shaky at best.

You’re counting on 3 guys who can’t even order a beer yet to carry that defense, along with a continuing to decline Duncan Keith.

I’m fine throwing those young guys to the wolves next year in order to develop, but I don’t have expectations of them carrying a playoff-caliber defense.

I see that team being a legit contender a few years down the road...i guess the point i'm making is this doesn't have to be a teardown with the pieces they have coming...they need a lotto ball to fall right and put that cap space to work and this team has a lot of talent again....the learning curve for D seems to be shortening as well...see it around the league kids stepping up in top 4 roles and producing

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I see that team being a legit contender a few years down the road...i guess the point i'm making is this doesn't have to be a teardown with the pieces they have coming...they need a lotto ball to fall right and put that cap space to work and this team has a lot of talent again

I agree on the lotto ball falling right, and that they’ll contend in a few years.

I don’t necessarily think they need to buy Panarin this offseason. You never know who can hit free agency in the future.

Hell, there’s a chance one of these stacked teams has no choice but to let a young star hit RFA. I’d like to be able to offersheet a young RFA in a year or two.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I agree on the lotto ball falling right, and that they’ll contend in a few years.

I don’t necessarily think they need to buy Panarin this offseason. You never know who can hit free agency in the future.

Hell, there’s a chance one of these stacked teams has no choice but to let a young star hit RFA. I’d like to be able to offersheet a young RFA in a year or two.

The most important thing is drafting Hughes or Kakko...if they don't sign Panarin or Stone then so be it, but they need at least one elite top 6 forward

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The most important thing is drafting Hughes or Kakko...if they don't sign Panarin or Stone then so be it, but they need at least one elite top 6 forward

Agree with the draft, don’t think signing another elite forward means this team is competitive next year. That’s my only point. They should continue focusing on gathering as much young talent as possible, then go for the big FA splash in two years.

Unfortunately, I don’t think McDonough will allow Stan to go with that plan and will force him to overpay for Panarin this upcoming FA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad