Pre-Game Talk: WCQG | Game 6 | Vancouver Canucks vs. St. Louis Blues - Aug 21 - 6:45PM PST - SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
The forwards NEED to come back and support the D.
The games we won in this series are the ones that had fewest unforced errors.
When our Dman in own own zone has time and space....that puck NEEDS to get out of the zone and up into the neutral zone.
SO many times, they fire it up the boards for icing or just flub the pass and 5 seconds later the Blues have possession and are working on getting their cycle game going.
Once their forecheck reaches our D we're doomed..... no way around that....so you MUST make those outlet passes count. This is one reason why i think having Juolevi might actually be better than Benn or Fantenbug.... he can pass the puck clean and crisp.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Ray Ferraro has always been a doomer

I just listened to this... Do you think he is wrong about what he is saying? He says he really likes the direction and the building blocks the club has, but he says that Edler/Stecher Hughes/Tanev isn't a top 4 and is missing a piece. I agree (at least a piece, maybe two to a traditional championship top 4). He says our bottom 6 is filled with overpriced vets who will not scare anyone. Can't disagree with that either. He says with Toffoli injured and Boeser not at his best, we have a top 6 with some nice pieces but have a hole or two there. Can't disagree there either.

The only thing that remains a question is his statement that he doesn't think we can win the series. Well, if we steal one more game, we win, and that part of his statement will be wrong.

But the idea that the Blues are deeper than us doesn't seem negative to me. It sounds like a reasonable opinion. The idea that we have holes seems much more than reasonable.

Not sure in this case he was being too much of a downer. He was saying at 2 games to 2 that he didn't believe we were good enough to win the series because of all of the collectively accurate statements above.

He was being realistic, while saying he really likes the future and the pieces we now have to build around. I agree with him about those top pieces- now if only we had some flexibility with Cap and contracts.... We might be able to put some pieces together to build on this exciting young core.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I just listened to this... Do you think he is wrong about what he is saying? He says he really likes the direction and the building blocks the club has, but he says that Edler/Stecher Hughes/Tanev isn't a top 4 and is missing a piece. I agree (at least a piece, maybe two to a traditional championship top 4). He says our bottom 6 is filled with overpriced vets who will not scare anyone. Can't disagree with that either. He says with Toffoli injured and Boeser not at his best, we have a top 6 with some nice pieces but have a hole or two there. Can't disagree there either.

The only thing that remains a question is his statement that he doesn't think we can win the series. Well, if we steal one more game, we win, and that part of his statement will be wrong.

But the idea that the Blues are deeper than us doesn't seem negative to me. It sounds like a reasonable opinion. The idea that we have holes seems much more than reasonable.

Not sure in this case he was being too much of a downer. He was saying at 2 games to 2 that he didn't believe we were good enough to win the series because of all of the collectively accurate statements above.

He was being realistic, while saying he really likes the future and the pieces we now have to build around. I agree with him about those top pieces- now if only we had some flexibility with Cap and contracts.... We might be able to put some pieces together to build on this exciting young core.
Agreed, we were literally dominated by the surging Blues in game #4...I'm very interested to hear his take today...

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I really want to say a few things - I really don't think people understand how big of a deal it is that the Canucks are leading a series 3-2 versus a massive/physical/talented Cup champions.

First of all: While I will establish early, the goaltending has been mostly one sided for Vancouver.
Which is completely fine because goalies are apart of the team, and having a great one is nothing to be ashamed about.

Second of all: The canucks are filled with star players who are all incredibly young with basically zero experience. Not only that EP40 + Quinn Hughes are not "big" in stature, they are "Smaller in weight" (And some size) then the wild and the blues, and are absolutely taking a beating out there.

EP40 especially is getting absolutely crushed constantly, and is bouncing back, fighting back, not diving, no embelishing, just fighting through it like a star should.
Quinn Hughes as well has been getting battered, taking massive hits and literally zoomed in on camera with him laughing about it.

THIS IS NOT NORMAL

For these young kids to be fighting as hard as they are and PRODUCING as much as they are is stunning, it's actually remarkable.

lets take a look at some of the stats:

Petey 11 points in 9 games
Hughes 9 points in 9 games
Horvat 8 points in 9 games
Miller 10 points in 9 games
Boeser 7 points in 9 games

Quinn Hughes just came off his best game of the series on both sides of the ice, and did not even get a point.

Bo Horvat as a young captain, is leading the Canucks on both sides of the puck, it's special to watch him grow into his role.

The depth players like Motte/loui/sutter are all playing above what people expected, are showing some serious heart and resilience.

This is all against, once again a huge, skilled, experienced, Blues team who are one of the most physical teams in the entire NHL.

Win or lose this series: This Canucks team has shown some incredible balls, talent, and it's been a resounding successful year, no matter what happens.

Any sort of miracle run is literally just gravy on top.

Last edited:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I have a whole collection of Canucks jerseys - every home, away and alternate they've worn. My Dad asked the other day how I choose which one to wear - I wore my 50th anniversary alternate Pettersson jersey for Game 1 against Minnesota and they lost, so I went to my current home Hughes and rode that one until they lost again. Then I tried the Petey jersey - another loss. So last night I went to my 50th anniversary black skate jersey, which was given to me by Dave Babych, Jyrki Lumme and the BCHL. I try not to be superstitious, but I'll definitely rock that one again tomorrow night!
A lucky Skate jersey — we need that energy

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I really want to say a few things - I really don't think people understand how big of a deal it is that the Canucks are leading a series 3-2 versus a massive/physical/talented Cup champions.

First of all: While I will establish early, the goaltending has been mostly one sided for Vancouver.
Which is completely fine because goalies are apart of the team, and having a great one is nothing to be ashamed about.

Second of all: The canucks are filled with star players who are all incredibly young with basically zero experience. Not only that EP40 + Quinn Hughes are not "big" in stature, they are "Smaller in weight" (And some size) then the wild and the blues, and are absolutely taking a beating out there.

EP40 especially is getting absolutely crushed constantly, and is bouncing back, fighting back, not diving, no embelishing, just fighting through it like a star should.
Quinn Hughes as well has been getting battered, taking massive hits and literally zoomed in on camera with him laughing about it.

THIS IS NOT NORMAL

For these young kids to be fighting as hard as they are and PRODUCING as much as they are is stunning, it's actually remarkable.

Petterson 11 points in 9 games

Quinn Hughes just came off his best game of the series on both sides of the ice, and did not even get a point.

Bo Horvat as a young captain, is leading the Canucks on both sides of the puck, it's special to watch him grow into his role.

The depth players like Motte/loui/sutter are all playing above what people expected, are showing some serious heart and resilience.

This is all against, once again a huge, skilled, experienced, Blues team who are one of the most physical teams in the entire NHL.

Win or lose this series: This Canucks team has shown some incredible balls, talent, and it's been a resounding successful year, no matter what happens.

Any sort of miracle run is literally just gravy on top.
Boeser you f***ing slacker. Keep up with the pace.

Honestly.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
THIS IS NOT NORMAL

Petterson 11 points in 9 games

Should be cautioned a bit that these playoffs are not normal, in that a team like the Canucks isn't going to get to play a team as weak as the Wild in a pseudo round 1. The numbers are still highly impressive, but a touch more modest if you cut the Wild series. I may have miscounted but my tally is:

Miller 5-4-3-7
Pettersson 5-3-2-5
Horvat 5-4-0-4
Boeser 5-0-4-4
Hughes 5-0-3-3

The last time the Canucks had young players this good this soon was Linden and Bure, so it's no wonder it seems unusual. And as a long time optimistic Canuck fan I feel there's a couple things hampering the two prior cores - they made the playoffs with expectations for success relatively late in their careers, they really only had a few kicks at the can, and in particular they had the misfortune of continuously running into a wall of top tier defensive teams.

And an extra challenge for the Sedins I feel is that they had such a specific routine style of play. You can see how the Blues have shut down our current PP, as one of the challenges of the playoffs is you get to study, practice for, and play against just one team for an extended period. What may work amazing when you're playing a different team every 2-3 days can potentially be halted when you're playing the same team for two weeks.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Looking at the OP and seeing that two of our top 3 scorers are a rookie and a sophomore makes me smile. Often you see the kids struggle in their first playoffs but EP and Hughes have actually elevated their games.
The future looks bright! Heck, screw it. The present looks bright!

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Gotta be honest, didn't think we'd win another game after GM4. And thought the ROR goal was the series last night. And I wasn't even mad. Felt there were enough positives shown from the new core to make this post season experience a success, even if they went out losing 4 straight.

But that second half of the second period will have a plaque in the halls of Canuck history. To know absolute worst case is a GM7 vs the defending champs...I mean I voted Canucks in 6 but didn't really think we'd have the guns to take out the Blues, especially if we lost a top 4 dman.

Future is bright. As long as we don't lose the next 2 by a combined 12-2 or something, there's nothing but positives from this series, win or lose. Just want to see them play hard every shift, and let the chips fall where they will.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I'm kind of wiped out today from last night's stress and ultimate joy. Marky, and Motte - wow. What a comeback by the team in the 2nd period. Kudos to coach Green for making some effective, if temporary, changes (Virtanen).

I think Bo is playing through an injury (that hit he took early in Gm 3). He can't full out skate the way he did at the start of the series. I hope he's getting better each day, cuz we're going to need him badly tomorrow night.

Hope to gawd Edler will be able to play through the pain. What a gutsy win from the guys.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The good thing to me about this series, is how the Canucks have coped physically. All the post-whistle scrums; cheap shots and late hits along the wall hasn't really fazed them at all. In fact even the Canucks skill players have given as good as they've received.

I'm sure the Blues came into this series thinking they could intimidate this young team, but hasn't happened so far. I think it's fair comment to say that in the Wild and the Blues, these Canucks have faced a couple of the toughest, physical teams in the Western Conference. And they haven't backed down one bit.

For game six, Canucks need to get that pp firing on all cylinders. Make them pay if the Blues keep taking penalties with high hits, elbows and wood-chopper slashes.

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
@Zombotron Can you believe this shit this year? How awesome has this run been! Man we have been here a long time, alongside @Mr. Canucklehead @Baby Pettersson @PG Canuck This is awesome!

Man even you @y2kcanucks This is great!

I am so hyped.

I’ve been lurking and posting occasionally the last 9 years and I’m sooo happy to see everything going right this post-season. Glad to see this place be a bit more entertaining to read when I’m having my down time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad