Pre-Game Talk: WCQG | Game 6 | Vancouver Canucks vs. St. Louis Blues - Aug 21 - 6:45PM PST - SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Game 5 was the proudest I've been of this team in 6 years - I believe the hockey guy said the exact same thing.

The most encouraging thing is that this team is showing an ability to forget.
Yeah I f***ing love this Canucks team. This is a squad that I could not be more proud of. I dont know who you can give single credit to in building what we have - all of our players are just stand-up, character guys, from the stars to the plugs and pariahs. So I guess you just have to give credit to everyone from top to bottom and all throughout. I love what's being built in Vancouver. They work for each other and fight for each other. It's such a good time to be a Canucks fan.

Man I love this team :yo:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
One could have argued that the Canucks carried their momentum from the Minny series , and caught the Blues flat footed out of the gate...winning the first two games...Momentum shift to the Blues ,the next two...

Last night was helluva effort by the entire team..A gutsy performance , especially when you consider they were down to half of their top 4 D in the 3rd.....Team that wins game #5 ,wins the series 78% of the time..We get two cracks at winning the series, the Blues get one.

We need Edler..without him, I wouldnt bank on anything.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Keep Jake on the top line, his 235 pounds is a nuisance for defenders and frees up time and space for Pettersson & Miller. For such a heavy strong guy he plays a soft skilled game not a fiesty gritty game, isn’t meant for the bottom 6.

Agreed. Virtanen has also been known to go on streaks - give him an extended shot here and see if he can stay hot.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I see the bandwagon is crowded again. We have had 3 very tight games. 2, 3 and 5. Canucks dominated 1, blues # 4 somewhat. (Sutherland helped). God i hope we don't get him again. I would love to know what our record is with that asshole reffing. I can see MacLean talking to him, see what I mean, Canucks are all divers.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Also, the better this team looks now early on in their timeline of potentially "being good" the more excited I get for the future. If 2 of any of these guys -

Juolevi, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rathbone

pan out, imagine how this team would look.

Imagine Juolevi turning out to be a high-IQ, calm, transitional defenseman making smart plays in both ends and making tape to tape passes to our star players and locking down our 2nd powerplay.

Imagine Podkolzin turning into a rock of a player in our middle 6 that can pass, hit, and drive possession. What I've seen from this player has me really excited - he could be the full package. He has a great tools and an even better toolbox. For as much as he was characterized as a bulldozing workhorse of a potential power forward, I've been really enamored with what a smart player he can be. I almost felt like I was watching the wrong guy in the world juniors at times, with him standing out as of one of the most soft handed, defensively reliable, and overall skilled prospects in the tournament, but that just goes to show how much he has going for him.

Imagine Hoglander being like Motte but with finish. A passionate, emotional buzzsaw guy that has one of the biggest work ethics on the team and always puts that motor to work every night. Undersized, but with the ability to break out and score highlight reel jumpstart goals in your middle 6.

Now imagine the (admittedly unlikely and rosy-eyed) possibility of both Juolevi AND Rathbone panning out. All of a sudden the Canucks dire blue line looks promisingly strong and well rounded. Maybe even after Edler hangs them up.

Hughes - Tanev
Juolevi - Myers
Rathbone - Benn

Now don't take this too seriously, I've been a Canucks fan long enough to know that unbridled optimism towards prospects doesn't ban out more often than it does - but imagining what we have now with the additions of even just one of these guys gets me excited.This isn't like, serious, practical, or even somewhat realistic analysis here, I'm just having a lot of fun watching this team grow and develop :D

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Also, the better this team looks now early on in their timeline of potentially "being good" the more excited I get for the future. If 2 of any of these guys -

Imagine Juolevi turning out to be a high-IQ, calm, transitional defenseman making smart plays in both ends and making tape to tape passes to our star players and locking down our 2nd powerplay.

Imagine Podkolzin turning into a rock of a player in our middle 6 that can pass, hit, and drive possession. What I've seen from this player has me really excited - he could be the full package. He has a great tools and an even better toolbox. For as much as he was characterized as a bulldozing workhorse of a potential power forward, I've been really enamored with what a smart player he can be.

Imagine Hoglander being like Motte but with finish. A passionate, emotional buzzsaw guy that has one of the biggest work ethics on the team and always puts that motor to work every night. Undersized, but with the ability to break out and score highlight reel goals in your middle 6.

Now Imagine if both Juolevi AND Rathbone pan out. All of a sudden the Canucks dire blue-line looks promisingly strong. Maybe even after Edler hangs them up.

Hughes - Tanev
Juolevi - Myers
Rathbone - Benn

Now don't take this too seriously, I've been a Canucks fan long enough to know that unbridled optimism towards prospects doesn't ban out more often than it does - but imagining what we have now with the additions of even just one of these guys gets me excited.This isn't like, serious, practical, or even somewhat realistic analysis here, I'm just having a lot of fun watching this team grow and develop :D

I like Benn, but maybe

Hughes - Tanev
Juolevi - Myers
Rathbone - Tryamkin

Would be great for the playoffs. 3 puck moving D men paired with 3 large and/or steady D men.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I like Benn, but maybe

Hughes - Tanev
Juolevi - Myers
Rathbone - Tryamkin

Would be great for the playoffs. 3 puck moving D men paired with 3 large and/or steady D men.

True, I always sort of neglect Tryamkin since I just never know what to expect with him. Hard to not like, mentally write him off almost at times haha. But yeah, if he did come back and was as good as he has the potential to be all the better. Just need to get him to actually play for us some day.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Virtanen has to be one of the most polarizing players in Canucks history....when he hits, skates and punishes defenders on the forecheck like he did last night, he's a legitimate first-liner. But when he 'bottoms out' he can't even get into the lineup as a fourth liner and ends up a healthy scratch.

If they could ever unlock last night's version of Jake on a consistent basis, they'd have a player who would more than justify his top-six draft position. I guess Green and the Canucks will keep trying.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

Imagine Podkolzin turning into a rock of a player in our middle 6 that can pass, hit, and drive possession. What I've seen from this player has me really excited - he could be the full package. He has a great tools and an even better toolbox. For as much as he was characterized as a bulldozing workhorse of a potential power forward, I've been really enamored with what a smart player he can be. I almost felt like I was watching the wrong guy in the world juniors at times, with him standing out as of one of the most soft handed, defensively reliable, and overall skilled prospects in the tournament, but that just goes to show how much he has going for him.

Imagine Hoglander being like Motte but with finish. A passionate, emotional buzzsaw guy that has one of the biggest work ethics on the team and always puts that motor to work every night. Undersized, but with the ability to break out and score highlight reel jumpstart goals in your middle 6.

Now imagine the (admittedly unlikely and rosy-eyed) possibility of both Juolevi AND Rathbone panning out. All of a sudden the Canucks dire blue line looks promisingly strong and well rounded. Maybe even after Edler hangs them up.

Hughes - Tanev
Juolevi - Myers
Rathbone - Benn

Absolutely, and all that's left is for me to win the lottery...

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018

Hughes - Tanev
Juolevi - Myers
Rathbone - Benn

Particularly Rathbone IMO, we've seen this series the struggles we've had getting the puck out of our end when Hughes isnt on the ice, Rathbone is an excellent skater & puck mover, his development and eventual promotion to the NHL is absolutely crucial for this team progressing into a genuine contender for the next 5 or so years.

MaybeTomorrow

Nov 3, 2014
Keep Jake on the top line, his 235 pounds is a nuisance for defenders and frees up time and space for Pettersson & Miller. For such a heavy strong guy he plays a soft skilled game not a fiesty gritty game, isn’t meant for the bottom 6.
I'm with you. I had hopes that Boeser would be physical to kind of protect Petterson but I guess not because someone has big, sturdy build doesn't mean they'll enjoy physical game. Virtanen can provide that instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad