Pre-Game Talk: WCQG | Game 6 | Vancouver Canucks vs. St. Louis Blues - Aug 21 - 6:45PM PST - SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
My dad has been a Canucks fan since 1977. He’s been through it all. He said he’s never seen a team like this Canucks team is.

We’re going to be a special team for years to come, imo.
I've been a Canucks fan since the 82 run I understand the highs and lows of your Dad's following of them. We've had some great squads the 94 and 2011 but they were lead by vets. This is the first time the kids are leading the charge for Canucks. This is a team to be very excited about. Let's hope your Dad's and our team close this out tomorrow!!

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
That Miller goal against the grain completely changed the period. The Canucks looked like a different team after that.

Miller has been so interesting to watch. And makes me so hopeful. He makes his mistakes sure, but his combination of skill, size and gritty competitiveness has been dragging the Canucks through the playoff mud. As much as it is important to see that real playoff instinct from Petterson and Hughes, having a veteran like Miller also there is so huge. I was skeptical of the trade when it happened, but damn is it paying off.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Overall the team played much better, the one area that needs improvement with results is the power play, no goals in the last 2 games with ample opportunities.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
After game 4 I figured the Canucks would still be able to battle out another win in game 5 or 6, but now that we have it and the lead my head still tells me the Blues are the better and more experienced team who will adjust and take the next two. But there'd be no shame in losing here, and taking game 5 back the Canucks have given themselves a decent chance to win now.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I just wanted to use this Post to bring attention to the PLAYOFF AVATARS? Thread.

Thank you to:
@Christina Woloski for starting the Thread and to all of those who contributed ideas & options like @Diversification

Hat tip to those who have brought the concepts to life:
@Dave Ayers , @Bgav , @Zombotron
tenor.gif

As a few Members have asked, my Avatar is me on Hallowe'en a few years ago scaring the shit out of my younger Gingers & other trick or treaters with glow-in-the-dark paint sprayed all over me. I used this one at their request when I was deciding on an Avatar & aiming for something distinctive, yet personal.

I was late to the Party to join in on the fun of the Playoff avatars, but this was my request & I completely understand if I was too late:

pink_floyd_the_wall.jpg

markstrom-canucks.jpeg

Although I struggle with how HFCanucks can be negative at times when the game isn't going our way, I really enjoy my experience reading your Posts and being part of this Community.

Cheers
GP

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
True, but it did look pretty dire after game 4. I was as surprised/impressed as anyone that they had that push back in them. Watching them get repeatedly hemmed in their own zone for periods at a time was pretty disheartening
Yep, I follow this team incredibly closely, but I was certain we were about to lose 3, possibly 4 straight.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
I don't know how many times I said, "This is it."
I "knew" losing game 3 would lead to a game 4 loss, cause of the momentum and the back-to-back.
Then I figured if they lose game 5, they would be done.
When it was 2-1, I figured that was the weak goal that would end the series.
3-1, was the nail in the coffin.

Then they somehow came back... wtf.
I really don't blame anyone for saying Canucks have no chance beating the Blues. I didn't even believe it myself.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Elimination game. Green needs to have the guys ready to go right from puck drop. They have a chance to knock off the current Stanley cup champs, don’t go into the first period sleep walking or the blues will make them pay.

A huge game cannot be understated. They need to be ready. Let’s get that second round!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
ohoho yes boys

iSJDyBq.jpg

I have a whole collection of Canucks jerseys - every home, away and alternate they've worn. My Dad asked the other day how I choose which one to wear - I wore my 50th anniversary alternate Pettersson jersey for Game 1 against Minnesota and they lost, so I went to my current home Hughes and rode that one until they lost again. Then I tried the Petey jersey - another loss. So last night I went to my 50th anniversary black skate jersey, which was given to me by Dave Babych, Jyrki Lumme and the BCHL. I try not to be superstitious, but I'll definitely rock that one again tomorrow night!

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I "knew" losing game 3 would lead to a game 4 loss, cause of the momentum and the back-to-back.

I really don't blame anyone for saying Canucks have no chance beating the Blues. I didn't even believe it myself.
It’s hard not to let paranoia from our previous team seep in sometimes.

I still find situations where I have to remind myself this is a different team with a different make up.

Last edited:

Phil Brooks

Jun 26, 2019
Chicago, IL

I couldn't believe it either. It looked like the roof was caving in again and with Jake Allen allowing just 3 goals in total in the two previous games, it was hard to believe we would get 3 in such quick succession like that.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Elimination game. Green needs to have the guys ready to go right from puck drop. They have a chance to knock off the current Stanley cup champs, don’t go into the first period sleep walking or the blues will make them pay.

A huge game cannot be understated. They need to be ready. Let’s get that second round!

200.gif

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Don't listen to them they're just mad the Leafs didn't even make the playoffs.

Let just accept that the Leafs are probably the greatest team in the history of the NHL over the last 53 years (only including those teams that have not made the Stanley Cup finals in that period). {Columbus and Arizona may legitimately disagree}.

I grew up a leaf fan, and loved their wins in the 60's. Still have a soft spot for them, but having to avoid listening to Don Cherry gush over them for 40 years has dampened my enthusiasm .....

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Virtanen has to be one of the most polarizing players in Canucks history....when he hits, skates and punishes defenders on the forecheck like he did last night, he's a legitimate first-liner. But when he 'bottoms out' he can't even get into the lineup as a fourth liner and ends up a healthy scratch.

If they could ever unlock last night's version of Jake on a consistent basis, they'd have a player who would more than justify his top-six draft position. I guess Green and the Canucks will keep trying.
I have been a big advocate of Jake playing first line for two years. He would fit there, as demonstrated. And he would be protection for Petey. That having been said. It is clear he has head problems. If he has a great playoffs, I hate to say it, but I would trade him for a number one draft pick from a weaker team.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I liked Jake with Miller and EP. I also have liked him with Gaudette. Seems he needs a playmaking centre to thrive, which makes sense. Putting him with Sutter or Beagle or even Horvat is kind of pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad