Wayne Simmonds

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
had an annoying little Pens fan behind me at the Phantoms game last night. He was trying to get a stick from a player and a puck and failed on both attempts. Flyers fans got them instead, thank god

and on topic, Simmonds is playing much better since the All Star break. We're gonna need him to be playing his best hockey if we're gonna make a push for the playoffs

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
No. Wrong.

Voracek will not make anywhere near $9 million. He will not make more than Giroux who makes $8.275.

Power forwards don't grow on trees like you suggest. Simmonds ability to punch in goals in front is not pure luck and his toughness cannot be undervalued.

Players get signed by how the cap is structured on the year they sign. Being that CG signed when the Cap was at a lower level, it's pretty easy to assume that the Cap will be higher when the Flyers sign JV long term. He might be the better player now and the Flyers are paying CG near that number, JV is his equal.

If he doesn't sign an extension soon and the Flyers wait on it for another year, his agent can tell him to wait and some teams could offer that or more.

A smart move would be to assure yourself him ASAP, I think he takes a 5 year deal in the 40 million range. Wait a bit longer to sign him and he keeps producing the way he is or even elevates his game even more than his cap hit will surpass Claude.

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I thought I try this board. The Pens fan base is crazy with their comments. Bortuzzo is god. Letang is great than he sucks. Crosby should be traded. Kunitz is horrible. Scuds is horrible etc etc etc

I'm not saying that Simmonds doesn't have a great contract. I think that is the #1 selling point. PH was a terrible GM and put you in cap hell. I'm not sure, but you guys must be near the highest paid D core in the league for basically a bunch of retreads. McDonald was a crazy signing. Grossman is a #6 (or 7) D man getting paid more than he should. Coburn basically never was the same since the eye injury (his one really good year was with Pronger, which sorta doesn't count). Schultz was a good signing. Luke Schenn is almost talentless. etc etc etc. Basically you have Streit.

Flyers biggest problem has been any ability to draft an develop any defenseman for like......I don't know......20 years or so?

And yes......I'm not the biggest fan of Sean C. He has been TERRIBLE this year. I stand by my comments. His O game is limited, he basically just throws the puck to the net from any angle hoping for a bounce to go the Flyers way than you hear that same old rhetoric for Bill Clement about "His hockey IQ." Defensively on the PK, he has been as bad a PK player as any I've seen this year......many times he totally blew his assignment in the zone and let someone get a slam dunk goal. To save he's been good on the D end this year is just being a homer.

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
So why trade him? He is perfect for the team, on a great deal and is very, very hard to replace... we would never get the value back he is worth to the Flyers... as really he is not worth that to many other teams... maybe Washington, Pittsburgh, Vancouver and San Jose. (Anaheim have Perry already) I think they are the only other teams who would get as much out of him as the Flyers do.

There are a lot of GM's who make bad decisions. Rutherford signed Semin to an insane deal. Look at Holmgren signings.

I don't know if this is true, but could't the Flyers have moved Simmonds to Florida with their 1st and something else for Ekblad? Can you find me a link anyone for this because I thought that was in the works before the draft this year. I would have done that deal faster than 1 second. Franchise turning D man. Look at Florida's track record.......they traded their 1st overall pick to Pitt for some lower rounds picks and a borderline winger (Samulesson?).

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I thought I try this board. The Pens fan base is crazy with their comments. Bortuzzo is god. Letang is great than he sucks. Crosby should be traded. Kunitz is horrible. Scuds is horrible etc etc etc

I'm not saying that Simmonds doesn't have a great contract. I think that is the #1 selling point. PH was a terrible GM and put you in cap hell. I'm not sure, but you guys must be near the highest paid D core in the league for basically a bunch of retreads. McDonald was a crazy signing. Grossman is a #6 (or 7) D man getting paid more than he should. Coburn basically never was the same since the eye injury #1)(his one really good year was with Pronger, which sorta doesn't count). Schultz was a good signing. #2)Luke Schenn is almost talentless. etc etc etc. Basically you have Streit.

Flyers biggest problem has been any ability to draft an develop any defenseman for like......I don't know......20 years or so?

And yes......I'm not the biggest fan of Sean C. #3)He has been TERRIBLE this year. I stand by my comments. His O game is limited, he basically just throws the puck to the net from any angle hoping for a bounce to go the Flyers way than you hear that same old rhetoric for Bill Clement about "His hockey IQ." Defensively on the PK, he has been as bad a PK player as any I've seen this year......#4) many times he totally blew his assignment in the zone and let someone get a slam dunk goal. To save he's been good on the D end this year is just being a homer.
#1) Wrong. Coburn has been mostly solid this season. Coburn was solid last season with Timonen too.
#2) Wrong. Luke Schenn has had a quietly solid season to date. He has been making good outlet passes and is able to find a way to get the puck to the net. He occasionally makes a bad move, but this season isn't terrible for him.
#3) Wrong. You don't even have to look very far to see why that's wrong. Appleyard did a great write up on Couturier just a bit ago. http://alongtheboards.com/2015/01/sean-couturier-flyers-wall-on-ice/
#4) Do you have any proof of all those times that Couturier blew his assignment and it led to a goal against? I'd like to see them since you say there are many.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There are a lot of GM's who make bad decisions. Rutherford signed Semin to an insane deal. Look at Holmgren signings.

I don't know if this is true, but could't the Flyers have moved Simmonds to Florida with their 1st and something else for Ekblad? Can you find me a link anyone for this because I thought that was in the works before the draft this year. I would have done that deal faster than 1 second. Franchise turning D man. Look at Florida's track record.......they traded their 1st overall pick to Pitt for some lower rounds picks and a borderline winger (Samulesson?).

Florida wanted Simmonds, 1st in 2014(Sanheim pick), 1st in 2015

Hextall wanted our 2015 pick to be top 10 protected. Florida said no.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Players get signed by how the cap is structured on the year they sign. Being that CG signed when the Cap was at a lower level, it's pretty easy to assume that the Cap will be higher when the Flyers sign JV long term. He might be the better player now and the Flyers are paying CG near that number, JV is his equal.

If he doesn't sign an extension soon and the Flyers wait on it for another year, his agent can tell him to wait and some teams could offer that or more.

A smart move would be to assure yourself him ASAP, I think he takes a 5 year deal in the 40 million range. Wait a bit longer to sign him and he keeps producing the way he is or even elevates his game even more than his cap hit will surpass Claude.

We can't resign Voracek until July 1st. We expect a Jake will get 8 mill per.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
head-desk-bartlett_zps7aadc009.gif

Kill me.

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Florida wanted Simmonds, 1st in 2014(Sanheim pick), 1st in 2015

Hextall wanted our 2015 pick to be top 10 protected. Florida said no.

Done. Would have pulled that off in a split second. Team isn't winning a Cup anytime soon and Ekblad fills Flyers pst dire need for like 20+ years. A young stud D man with the potential to be elite for 15 seasons.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Done. Would have pulled that off in a split second. Team isn't winning a Cup anytime soon and Ekblad fills Flyers pst dire need for like 20+ years. A young stud D man with the potential to be elite for 15 seasons.

And that's why you aren't a GM. Sanheim has the potential to be a stud d-man for 15 seasons and whoever the Flyers pick with this year's first is sure to be an impact player at some point. They rarely miss on 1st round picks.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The price would be steep and personally I would not make the deal but it's not like Sanheim was a sure-fire thing. He has the potential but the probability of him ever getting there (elite D for 15years) is probably less than 10% whereas Ekblad has much better chances.

Last edited:

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
The price would be steep and personally I would not make the deal but it's not like Sanheim was a sure-fire thing. He has the potential but the probability of him ever getting there (elite D for 15years) is probably less than 10% whereas Ekblad has much better chances.

Yeah, but that's just one part of the deal. We would also be losing Simmonds, and our 1st this year (which could very well end up being more valuable than either Sanheim or Simmonds). That's an awful lot to give up just to switch a defensemen that could possibly be a #1, with a defensemen that will probably be a #1.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

ok...then we also lose Simmonds and what looks like a top 10 pick this year...and a lottery ball at McDavid.

You can see why Hextall wanted the pick top 10 protected.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

So..we aren't winning the Cup any time soon so we should trade a 26 year old 30 goal power forward and our next two 1st round picks for an 18 year old defensemen just for the hell of it?

You yinzers, I swear..

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I would have done the deal. Don't care if its lottery protected or not. Count me in as a person who highly doubts whoever we pick unless its mcdavid ends up being better then Simmonds or Ekblad.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Would have been nice to get Ekblad but yeah that was gonna be a bit rich for my taste. Also I really have high hopes for Sanheim.....

Glad Hextall wasn't as reactive as Holmgren might have been. He probably would have "jumped" at the deal like he said he did when he got Meszaros...:shakehead

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would have done the deal. Don't care if its lottery protected or not. Count me in as a person who highly doubts whoever we pick unless its mcdavid ends up being better then Simmonds or Ekblad.

But it is not just 1-1.

It could be Simmonds, Sanheim, and say Kylington(or Eichel) for Ekblad.

Hextall was VERY smart to have it top 10 protected.

AGAIN...we are not winning with the crap contracts on the books. FIX THAT FIRST. Then, while fixing that, we stockpile picks and prospects. Then, in 2016/17 we assess our teams needs and make the right moves.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That deal would have been stupid to make, glad Hextall didn't or we'd be stuck with a terrible GM for a while.

Sanheim, Simmonds, + whoever we get this year? Hell no. That's way to much for such a gamble.

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca

I think I would have done the deal also at the time.

Since our pick turned into Sanheim who has good potential and the possibility of a top ten pick, Hextall probably made the right call, time will tell.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ

He's a heck of a player. The flipside is that Flyers keep Simmonds and are high on Sanheim. It's possible for both teams to have won by not making a trade. They may have won by making it as well.

Also, trust the people here on Flyer issues. No one here would lie to you. The people here are so into hockey they follow prospects and probably watch 1-2 hockey games per night in various leagues around the world.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Wayne has played like a beast these past two games and has really been the catalyst for the second line.

When he goes that second line goes, and hence our secondary scoring. 5 even strength points in the last 2 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad