Wayne Simmonds

SgtJoseph*

Anybody have any inside info on Wayne Simmonds and whether he is working out with anyone getting ready for the up coming season....Would like to see him add a few pounds and get himself in the best shape of his young career....He is capable of even a better year than he had last season in my view, and last season was his career best.....I think he was a little banged during the Jersey series, i noticed he was not going into the corners with his usual mo-jo.

Last edited by a moderator:

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
I think he had a broken finger, didn't he?

Simmonds had a great year, but it was still inconsistent. If he can improve his consistency, he could have an even better year next year.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
If Simmer put on 15-20lbs of muscle my lawd that guy would be an absolute beast!!!! I hope he puts on some size this summer, it would be awesome to see him be more consistant this year

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Once he grows into his frame, he won't be trying to stick handle his way around them. He'll just go through them. People may laugh at me, but when Simmonds hits the 215 pound mark, he's going to be a beast and run people over. He's also going to get top six time as well as first time power play time. There's no reason to believe he won't pop 40 in a season soon.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Even if he is just 210 the guy will be a bull. Look how strong this guy is at 190. Throwing guys around. On wikipedia they have him listed at 209 but there is no way he is 209 last season.

bp spec

Jun 7, 2010
Saw him for the first time without gear when watching Road to the Winter Classic. It was REALLY surprising how skinny he was. I could never guess that by watching him on the ice, because he's incredibly strong and plays real hard. I'm sitting here smiling when thinking about what he'll be capable of when he put on 20-30lbs!

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
He doesn't even look 190 honestly. He's a twig.

I'd imagine it's hard for someone with that build to keep a lot of muscle on their frame over the course of a season. I bet he loses 5-10 pounds every year and has to spend a month getting it back every off season. Maybe when he hits his mid twenties it'll be easier for him to keep on weight.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
He doesn't even look 190 honestly. He's a twig.

I'd imagine it's hard for someone with that build to keep a lot of muscle on their frame over the course of a season. I bet he loses 5-10 pounds every year and has to spend a month getting it back every off season. Maybe when he hits his mid twenties it'll be easier for him to keep on weight.

183 is the number I saw somewhere. He has the legs of an ostrich.

Bryzard of Oz

Mar 28, 2012
In a couple weeks Drew Doughty is having his softball tournament fundraiser in London. Rinaldo and Simmer are playing so I'm debating driving down to see if I can snag an autograph or something. See if twigs has bulked up and knocks a couple out of the park

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think simmonds will ever be more then 200lbs based on his build. At that weight he would still be a monster considering what he can do now and that 10-15 lbs shouldn't slow him down too much either.

hXc Chris

Jul 11, 2009
West Chester
Wow I cant believe he can even play professional hockey with those frail ass legs. Well now I guess I know why the concussion wasnt so bad for Giroux, mustve felt like getting hit with a twizzler at high speed lol

RJ8812*

you can't expect players to just put on weight once their in their 20s and not expect it to effect their game. Simmonds won't be adding much muscle at all because he's at the weight that he feels most comfortable playing at

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
you can't expect players to just put on weight once their in their 20s and not expect it to effect their game. Simmonds won't be adding much muscle at all because he's at the weight that he feels most comfortable playing at

+1000

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
In a couple weeks Drew Doughty is having his softball tournament fundraiser in London. Rinaldo and Simmer are playing so I'm debating driving down to see if I can snag an autograph or something. See if twigs has bulked up and knocks a couple out of the park

The most important thing that needs to be said is

DOUGHTY FACEEEEE!!!!!

Fropitar

Jul 4, 2009
So.Cal
This thread makes me sad. I miss Wayne. :/

Wayne is just a lengthy/skinny guy. No matter how hard he tries, I bet he doesn't put weight on until his late 20's or early 30's.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ

It would be one thing if he lost weight because he didn't like playing heavier. He just hasn't ever been bigger than he is now, so there's no way to say whether he likes playing with more muscle or not.

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
I can't see Simmonds adding 10 lbs of muscle. The guy is lean as can be, and a bean pole. Its the way he is built.

Now for someone with the chicken legs he has, he is strong on the skates.

Evergreen

Once he grows into his frame, he won't be trying to stick handle his way around them. He'll just go through them. People may laugh at me, but when Simmonds hits the 215 pound mark, he's going to be a beast and run people over. He's also going to get top six time as well as first time power play time. There's no reason to believe he won't pop 40 in a season soon.
I highly doubt Wayne Simmonds will hit the 215 mark until he starts getting a bit older and his metabolism slows down a bit. If he does gain the weight, I expect it would affect his speed quite a bit. Have you seen Wayne's calves, or his upper body with his shirt off? He's got chicken legs and he looks like he's got 2% body fat. I think he's just a "hard-gainer," meaning he has difficulty putting on mass. I don't think it's a big problem because he is clearly very strong already. It's just the body type he has. I bet Simmonds adds a lot of muscle (7-10lbs.) in the offseason and loses most of it during the course of the year. I'm not an expert, but I have a similar body type and even when I add weight, I always lose it during the hockey season (got the skinny calves too:laugh:).

Whatever the case may be, I don't think we need Simmonds to be a 40-goal scorer. I think if he can put up 25 goals consistently from year to year, that would be great for us.

I can't see Simmonds adding 10 lbs of muscle. The guy is lean as can be, and a bean pole. Its the way he is built.

Now for someone with the chicken legs he has, he is strong on the skates.

I didn't read this until after I posted, but it sounds like we agree...right down to the chicken legs.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
Not sure how you figure that a kid who has never come close to 40 goals in a season can be reasonably expected to hit that mark. He had 33 in the OHL as a 19 year old, the next closest was this past season with 28.

Yeah let's aim for 30 first

Spongolium*

Not sure how you figure that a kid who has never come close to 40 goals in a season can be reasonably expected to hit that mark. He had 33 in the OHL as a 19 year old, the next closest was this past season with 28.

He predicted that Giroux ( who was an offensive Dynamo at the time) would be a top 5 player in the league once upon a time.

But to put that into perspective, he believes that Simmonds is a 40 goal scorer and that Akeson is an Adam Oates clone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad