Wayne Simmonds

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree with you both.
It's infuriating how many disgusting decisions were made during the course of that game.

Yup. An awful game from beginning to end.

Honestly, were fortunate to even get one point when considering the quality of play. It's just that we had both points in the palm of our hand and it slipped away...

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You're absolutely right. The misplay perhaps led to the swing, but there were other significant breakdowns.

Simmonds is just a super inconsistent player. He's not adding much to a game if he's not scoring. Like Hartnell, he's nonessential to the Flyers core. Both good leaders and talented players, but expendable

Ehhhhhh I'm not sure I'd agree with that.

He's definitely inconsistent at times and his defense is weak, but I think his scoring and character are enough to make me consider him a core player. There's 29 teams that would kill for him on their team, for good reason.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

He's definitely inconsistent at times and his defense is weak, but I think his scoring and character are enough to make me consider him a core player. There's 29 teams that would kill for him on their team, for good reason.

Yep.

And he is not a selfish player either.

Honestly, I think the only explanation is he thought it was 5v6 for a second.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I agree with you both.
It's infuriating how many disgusting decisions were made during the course of that game.

Keeping in mind that this was the back end of a back-to-back that so many people were saying they wouldn't win... I'm okay with the three Points and the play of Mason... and the Team until the last couple minutes' Columbus push... IMO it's a bit harsh citing many disgusting decisions... But it is what it is... they now move on to Colorado and the rest of the Road Trip with beatable opponents ahead... The tired players and tired bodies and minds will regroup.

... I digress... this is a Simmonds thread.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yep.

That's certainly the most likely excuse.

And yeah, no clue where the "selfish" comments came from. Was it a bad move? Sure. Was he out there thinking "gotta pad my stats here"? No way. It was a brain fart, nothing more.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Yep.

I don't think Simmonds is at all selfish. He seems to lack awareness outside of the offensive zone. That's my biggest gripe.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

Plus he can turn a Game around when he gets worked up... He also agitates and defends from the Top Line and is vital on the Top PP... I agree, he would be welcomed by the other 29 Teams in a heartbeat.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013

Fair enough. I'd prefer forwards who can do more than just score. Simmonds is awesome, but he's a good trade candidate for a team with some big depth issues.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Fair enough. I'd prefer forwards who can do more than just score. Simmonds is awesome, but he's a good trade candidate for a team with some big depth issues.

Yeah, but you can't have every player be perfectly rounded, as nice as that'd be. If someone is good enough offensively then you have to forgive the other lacking areas.

I'd never want to trade quality for quantity. The bottom 6 sucks, but there's far better ways to fix that than trading a player as unique as Simmonds.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

If we traded Simmonds, we also would have a lack of top 6 forwards.

I said it in another thread, but adding 1 top 6 guy and if Konecny makes the team, then that pushes guys down the depth chart which also fixes the depth issue.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
i been playing that bonehead move by simmonds for him blasting that puck for the EN, im like any other play he easily could have gotten that out without icing and we win.

we gave up 2 goals in 64 seconds. i just wanted to throw something at someone or something.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Simmonds scores in bunches and he is due. I fully expect him to have some very good games here to end the season. He knows he helped blow that game.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I think he's going to have a big game tonight. He probably feels responsible for what happened Tuesday.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
He has to play a simmonds game and he's not. Can't score every game but he can play hard on the boards and win some battles for g and Schenn and he hasn't lately. Shrugging those shoulders after that icing was exactly a no big deal gesture of there would be no reason to do it. Liked him but do to size he always fades and has a not bad game from time to time with a goal but he isn't core anymore for me. G,Schenn,coot,ghost and that's it.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Hartnell and Simmonds

I started a thread many moons ago [ one of my few insights and threads!] , if you care to look it up concerning Hartnell and Simmonds. As I recollect, my reasoning was that in today's NHL, team speed, crisp passing, and 200 foot awareness were the key to success and I still believe that is true. Hartnell had virtually all those problems and we eventually traded him [ for a lot less than I thought we would!]. Simmonds like Hartnell has the same problems: 200 foot awareness and all though he has good top speed his acceleration is not that great and if he is flat footed, so long opposing player! His passing and accepting passes is somewhat less than optimal [ to be generous] Now whether Ron would trade him, it would have to be a great trade. For me, Simmonds, straight up for Drouin would be a fair deal in my eyes since Tampa gets what it needs and the Flyers a true snipe-ing LW. Of course we are trading negatives of both too. We all complain about team speed, here is the one major issue the Flyers would be addressing. Some one will have to take up the slack of the leadership that Wayne truly does have, but how many of the current and future roster were/are wore/ are wearing the C in major juniors or even WJC? For me it would be a tough decision to trade Wayne.....but then again I am not a general manager of a professional hockey team.....;-))).

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I started a thread many moons ago [ one of my few insights and threads!] , if you care to look it up concerning Hartnell and Simmonds. As I recollect, my reasoning was that in today's NHL, team speed, crisp passing, and 200 foot awareness were the key to success and I still believe that is true. Hartnell had virtually all those problems and we eventually traded him [ for a lot less than I thought we would!]. Simmonds like Hartnell has the same problems: 200 foot awareness and all though he has good top speed his acceleration is not that great and if he is flat footed, so long opposing player! His passing and accepting passes is somewhat less than optimal [ to be generous] Now whether Ron would trade him, it would have to be a great trade. For me, Simmonds, straight up for Drouin would be a fair deal in my eyes since Tampa gets what it needs and the Flyers a true snipe-ing LW. Of course we are trading negatives of both too. We all complain about team speed, here is the one major issue the Flyers would be addressing. Some one will have to take up the slack of the leadership that Wayne truly does have, but how many of the current and future roster were/are wore/ are wearing the C in major juniors or even WJC? For me it would be a tough decision to trade Wayne.....but then again I am not a general manager of a professional hockey team.....;-))).

Tampa would be adding something significant in a Drouin for Simmonds deal. I am also not sure how 200 foot awareness will be improved by adding Drouin since that is the reason he is in AHL in his 2nd year of his elc.

I got no problem trading Simmonds because I view other positions on the Flyers, two way center/right handed top 4 defenseman, more important. I wouldnt just swap winger for winger straight up though. Seems like a lateral move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad