Wayne Simmonds

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Wayne has played like a beast these past two games and has really been the catalyst for the second line.

When he goes that second line goes, and hence our secondary scoring. 5 even strength points in the last 2 games.

Playing much better. Both he and Couts are moving their feet all game which is nice to see. Read...still needs to pick it up.

Last edited:

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Also his defensive game is not too shabby either. He has been out with the opposing teams goalie pulled the last 3 games?

Origina1Master

Mar 15, 2015
read has been playing well too. Look at that pass to simmer for that breakaway. Perfect pass.

He's been better for sure, but still not the read of old. For example he had 1 great opportunity early this past game right on the doorstep where he basically just flubbed the shot and fell over haha.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Read is playing much better now that the line is clicking. He is defending well and making sharp passes to his linemates.

Origina1Master

Mar 15, 2015
Read is playing much better now that the line is clicking. He is defending well and making sharp passes to his linemates.

Yeah like I said he has been much better. But his killer instinct and finishing ability is still not back. Remember all the snipes he used to make? I haven't seen that in a long time. But at least he's not a detriment to the line anymore.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
32 ES points (most on the team) and 17 PP points so far this season.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...pe=2&sort=evPoints&aggregate=0&teamId=4&pos=S

Simmonds has a reputation on the main boards as a guy who relies on the PP for half his points, but as a Flyer his ES-PP split is a pretty reasonable 143-97.

And he only needs five goals in the last 13 games to reach 30 for the first time in his career.

The downlow jam plays on the PP that Simmer lived off of last season, just haven't been there for him this season..but guys like Simmer are going to find a way to score.

I wonder how many of Ghost's goals Simmer was a major influence on without getting a point too..

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There's a particular Habs fan that could use a swift smack in the face with those stats.

lol...me and him have had some battles thru the years. He has not given Simmonds credit at all. I was surprised he did not show up in the JVR vs Simmonds thread in the poll section.

I have to laugh, in October they said they didn't need Simmonds because they had Semin and Kassian as new RW this year to play behind Gallagher. Didn't quite work out as expected for them.

I only wish Montreal had traded their 1st to a team out West early in the year and then went on this big collapse. It would have been funny to see the chaos in the threads.

:laugh:

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
We've seen some bad plays by not very skilled players but tonight might have been the dumbest by a skilled player in years.

2 goal lead blown by a dumb, dumb high risk/low reward rink wide shot.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I'm still on the trade Simmonds boat. I'm not convinced he's a core player and his trade value is high. I'd rather sell high on him and get a couple of forwards who can play above average defense. The Flyers need good bottom six players in the worst way. Look at the deal Chicago just gave Kruger. Bottom line players can be super valuable.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Unbelievably stupid play by a good player.

Hope he sticks around his whole career. 10 more years gives him plenty of time to redeem himself.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Simmonds simply had an enormous lapse in concentration.

I am sure he thought it was 5v6... that play is 'fine' at 5v6... but really not good at all at 5v5 with EN... just affect a normal breakout and the Flyers score ~75% of the time.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
Makes one bad play, people bump this thread saying they would trade him. Unbelievable

I've entertained the idea for a while. Simmonds consistently makes bad plays when the puck is on his stick for too long. Incredible player around the net and on the forecheck, but average to below average in the neutral zone and on defense. That adds up to a nonessential player to a team with poor forward depth. Sell high on Simmonds and patch up the gaping holes in the bottom six.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We've seen some bad plays by not very skilled players but tonight might have been the dumbest by a skilled player in years.

2 goal lead blown by a dumb, dumb high risk/low reward rink wide shot.

I'm about to blow your mind.

Ready?

Him taking a bad icing didn't allow two goals against in the final minute.

Take some time to think about that. Let it sink in.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Makes one bad play, people bump this thread saying they would trade him. Unbelievable

I'd rather he had taken time off the Clock and gotten over the Red Line before he shot... BUT... two Goals up, empty net and not a tired line, it was not that awful of a chance... and had he made it he would have been a hero... The fault falls on the inability of the Flyers to hold off the Jackets.

I thought the multiple showings by CSN of Simmonds' shrug was in bad taste, considering all the circumstances involved... Wayne just wasn't going to beat himself up over the missed chance... [shrug] "I took a shot... we're still up two Goals and we can shut them down"... Nothing more, nothing less. Why stress the shrug?

No way I trade Simmonds unless the get their socks blown off with the offer... He serves more than one role on the Flyers that are not easy to replace with one skilled player... Unbelievable indeed.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Come on man.

That was an awful play for so many reasons.

It was a bad play, but even if we say it was directly 100% responsible for the goal against after the faceoff, which Id disagree with anyway, it still had zero to do with the 2nd goal.

The real issue is how Hakstol makes them act like they're on the PK.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Nobody denies it was a bad play. But blaming the collapse on that play alone is 100x dumber than the play itself.

It was a bad play, but even if we say it was directly 100% responsible for the goal against after the faceoff, which Id disagree with anyway, it still had zero to do with the 2nd goal.

The real issue is how Hakstol makes them act like they're on the PK.

I agree with you both.
It's infuriating how many disgusting decisions were made during the course of that game.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
I'm about to blow your mind.

Ready?

Him taking a bad icing didn't allow two goals against in the final minute.

Take some time to think about that. Let it sink in.

You're absolutely right. The misplay perhaps led to the swing, but there were other significant breakdowns.

Simmonds is just a super inconsistent player. He's not adding much to a game if he's not scoring. Like Hartnell, he's nonessential to the Flyers core. Both good leaders and talented players, but expendable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad