Wayne Simmonds

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
He predicted that Giroux ( who was an offensive Dynamo at the time) would be a top 5 player in the league once upon a time.

But to put that into perspective, he believes that Simmonds is a 40 goal scorer and that Akeson is an Adam Oates clone.

well quite a few had giroux pegged from the beginning (one of the reasons mgmt traded richards/carter)

to be fair though, I could definitely see wayne flirting with 40g sometime in the next 2-3 years, maybe even sooner.

on the other hand, I could see him getting 25g and be happy with that. It will really depend on the role he gets put in. But if I had to guess, I'd say he'll have a similar career to hartnell. Maybe a few more goals.

7475Fly

Apr 3, 2008
Philadelphia

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
According to the NY Post, Simmonds is American and no longer a Flyer:

"This isn't the first time a banana has been thrown towards an African American athlete Two years ago while playing an exhibition game in Canada, former Flyers winger Wayne Simmonds was on the ice attempting a shot in the shootout, when a banana was thrown at him from the stands."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/orioles_star_jones_says_giants_fan_cnIQ6TSl0zFv8uxXFceaHP :facepalm:

I find it amazing how stuff like this goes through two people before it is finalized. There's really no excuses for factual statements to be wrong with today's technology. Hell spelling & grammar are inexcusable as well.

I always enjoy seeing how many mistakes Timmy P can make in his articles than the actual article itself. :laugh:

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
According to the NY Post, Simmonds is American and no longer a Flyer:

"This isn't the first time a banana has been thrown towards an African American athlete Two years ago while playing an exhibition game in Canada, former Flyers winger Wayne Simmonds was on the ice attempting a shot in the shootout, when a banana was thrown at him from the stands."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/orioles_star_jones_says_giants_fan_cnIQ6TSl0zFv8uxXFceaHP :facepalm:

Consider the source......

NY Post = National Enquirer

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Once he grows into his frame, he won't be trying to stick handle his way around them. He'll just go through them. People may laugh at me, but when Simmonds hits the 215 pound mark, he's going to be a beast and run people over. He's also going to get top six time as well as first time power play time. There's no reason to believe he won't pop 40 in a season soon.

You should be laughed at for that comment. The dude isn't putting on 30 pounds unless he sits on a box of needles. I realize this post is a year old, but it's not like this is some projectable 17 year old. He's 24. If he had the ability to add weight we would have seen some progress by now. It ain't happening. Let him get to 190 before you throw out a number like 215. I won't even argue the second part of the post.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
Once he grows into his frame, he won't be trying to stick handle his way around them. He'll just go through them. People may laugh at me, but when Simmonds hits the 215 pound mark, he's going to be a beast and run people over. He's also going to get top six time as well as first time power play time. There's no reason to believe he won't pop 40 in a season soon.

Simmonds likely won't hit 215. He's 180-190 now isn't he? Adding that much muscle could hinder his game. Maybe 205 would be good. But adding 30lbs of muscle is quite a drastic change.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Simmonds likely won't hit 215. He's 180-190 now isn't he? Adding that much muscle could hinder his game. Maybe 205 would be good. But adding 30lbs of muscle is quite a drastic change.

He's listed as 6'2" 183lbs. on the Flyers website. I don't know how accurate that is but he's probably in the 185-195 range.

ascskate

Apr 12, 2009
Austin Texas
Gaining lean muscle is possible but guys asking to see 10-20 pounds in an off season probably have never tried to gain muscle. 2 pounds a month is a reasonable number.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
He sat next to me and talked with me a couple minutes at the last Flyers Carnival. Very nice guy. But yea, he's not as big as you would expect for such a hard hitting hockey player.

Very cool guy. He would have sat there and talked longer, but I saw the people running the show were getting inpatient. So, I kinda stopped shooting the breeze so he could move on. Lines were pretty long that day.

Betamax*

He's listed as 6'2" 183lbs. on the Flyers website. I don't know how accurate that is but he's probably in the 185-195 range.

I Just wanted to read some opinions on fans that watch Simmonds play on a regular basis.

Question: Do you believe that his weight (or lack of it) excludes him from being classified as a "prototypical" power forward?

He seems to play bigger than his size suggests and brings the elements of a power forward i.e. physicality (body checking), fighting ability and scoring ability that you want in a player of that skill set.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
So Simmonds is damn near useless at even strength. -10 on the season is worst on the team by far. I thought he could be great if he played to his strengths and stuck to the forecheck and sitting in front of the net, but he's not. Instead he's always trying to deke and he's always losing battles.

I love him on the PP, but he's been terrible in all 3 zones at even strength. You guys think he'll turn it around?

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
So Simmonds is damn near useless at even strength. -10 on the season is worst on the team by far. I thought he could be great if he played to his strengths and stuck to the forecheck and sitting in front of the net, but he's not. Instead he's always trying to deke and he's always losing battles.

I love him on the PP, but he's been terrible in all 3 zones at even strength. You guys think he'll turn it around?

I think he is what he is at this point. He's gotta get over the whole pretty plays and dekes that he constantly fails at. Continue to be physical and play near the goal. Good forechecker, poor defensive forward. I sure hope he turns it around though, was one of my favorite players.

You can tell he cares and is passionate about the game.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
He has little hockey sense and is making bad decision on when to try to sneak by a defenseman and take the puck deep and when to just cover it up along the boards.

This hurts especially against the teams that are good in the transition game because him getting stuck, maybe even combined with a line change, will often result in an odd men rush against them.

SgtJoseph*

Just thought i'd give this a little bump... Is currently at 16G and 20A and -2 on the year. Has a shot at maybe getting 30-30 this year.

He has been FANTASTIC ! Very consistent, especially during this critical push toward playoff time !

DogwoodFLY

Jul 13, 2009
I haven't Posted Here in years. (ever?) But I dug up my account for this.

Jeff Carter LAK C 60 24 20 44
Mike Richards LAK C 70 9 30 39

Wayne Simmonds PHI R 69 23 29 52
Brayden Schenn PHI C 69 17 21 38

Jakub Voracek PHI R 69 18 32 50
Sean Couturier PHI C 69 10 25 35

At what point do you say the Flyers unequivocally won both of these trades? I understand that the Kings play a highly defensive system but these numbers speak for themselves.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I haven't Posted Here in years. (ever?) But I dug up my account for this.

Jeff Carter LAK C 60 24 20 44
Mike Richards LAK C 70 9 30 39

Wayne Simmonds PHI R 69 23 29 52
Brayden Schenn PHI C 69 17 21 38

Jakub Voracek PHI R 69 18 32 50
Sean Couturier PHI C 69 10 25 35

At what point do you say the Flyers unequivocally won both of these trades? I understand that the Kings play a highly defensive system but these numbers speak for themselves.

You've just stepped into it....;)

Hey I'm under no illusion those trades were a coup....but others feel it is still open ended...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad