Wayne Simmonds

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I like Simmer and his streakiness is no less maddening than Carter (part and parcel of being a goal scorer) but at times Simmer's bone headedness is beyond the pale. The other night that was probably one of the worst incidents of brain freeze I have ever witnessed.

Last edited:

catbellysqueezer

Dec 26, 2015
I might get banned for saying this but people who keep saying Simmonds (consistent 50 point/year power forward who is nearly impossible to strip the puck from, good in the crease, good skating/puckhandling, plays hard every single night), is equal to a guy whose best season was 32 points in 70 games, was doing way worse than that pace this year, and has no interest in doing the hard work to get back to his best, have something other than performance coloring their judgement.

There's no reason for one of the lower scoring teams in the league to be talking about trading their current leading goal scorer, even if he was terrible at everything else, which Simmonds is not.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Simmonds is good in the offensive zone and around the net. He is usually invisible or mediocre anywhere else.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I love that he switched to wearing a visor. Now all our important players do so.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Simmonds may be a very costly player in 3 years and that worries me. I don't think Hextall will want to sign a 31 year old player for a large/long term contract, but Wayne absolutely deserves one and if a team is willing to pay him, he should take it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Simmonds may be a very costly player in 3 years and that worries me. I don't think Hextall will want to sign a 31 year old player for a large/long term contract, but Wayne absolutely deserves one and if a team is willing to pay him, he should take it.

Im worried about tonight. Not 3 years from now lol.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Just looking at the Cap Listing for the Flyers and find that Simmonds is at $3.975M which is only $300K more than Matt Read...and is ~$358K less than Coots, $1.15 less than Schenn, $4.275M less than Jake and $4.3M less than Giroux.

While it is true that his Contract was signed earlier than the other... and he will have to be extended at a higher Contract,if he is to stay a Flyer in three Seasons... It is also arguably that he is the biggest bargain the Flyers have for a Player not on an ELC... at the very least among the Forwards.

Yet it appears that he may be one of the most... if not the most... overlooked Player on these Boards when it comes to bang for the buck. He does get his props on various threads, including the Game Days/Post games, but I just think in many ways many of us Flyers fans take him for granted... He laces them up every Game and gives his all... that is a given.

With that said... What happens before 2019-20 with the Wane Train? Does he get a nice extension... or do the Flyers move him for value and use the Cap saved elsewhere? Does he become to the Flyers what some Players became to the Hawks and has to be moved due to the other high Contracts/

Personally, I hope he can be signed to a fair deal for both sides, and stays the rest of his career... or at least prime Seasons... in O&B.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just looking at the Cap Listing for the Flyers and find that Simmonds is at $3.975M which is only $300K more than Matt Read...and is ~$358K less than Coots, $1.15 less than Schenn, $4.275M less than Jake and $4.3M less than Giroux.

While it is true that his Contract was signed earlier than the other... and he will have to be extended at a higher Contract,if he is to stay a Flyer in three Seasons... It is also arguably that he is the biggest bargain the Flyers have for a Player not on an ELC... at the very least among the Forwards.

Yet it appears that he may be one of the most... if not the most... overlooked Player on these Boards when it comes to bang for the buck. He does get his props on various threads, including the Game Days/Post games, but I just think in many ways many of us Flyers fans take him for granted... He laces them up every Game and gives his all... that is a given.

With that said... What happens before 2019-20 with the Wane Train? Does he get a nice extension... or do the Flyers move him for value and use the Cap saved elsewhere? Does he become to the Flyers what some Players became to the Hawks and has to be moved due to the other high Contracts/

Personally, I hope he can be signed to a fair deal for both sides, and stays the rest of his career... or at least prime Seasons... in O&B.

Simmer is definitely regarded by most as one of the biggest bargains in the NHL.

I cant say if id like to see him resigned yet though as its too soon.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
He's worth more than Schenn, about the same as Coots. Fair for Simmer (paying for past seasons' performance and expecting that forward) would be somewhere around $6.75m for 4-5 years. I'd rather sign him to a higher number for 3 years, but I don't think a guy like Simmer will finish his career in the O&B uninterrupted.

In the grand scheme of career arcs, he reminds me of a Knuble or a Tocchet. He will always be welcomed back, and the grit he has is undeniable. But his payday, which is well deserved and soon coming, may come at some other teams expenditure.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Don't think Simmonds is taken for granted. Pretty much everyone knows that he's great and that we're lucky to have him. The fact that he's basically the only guy on the team who never gets complained about supports that.

If anyone is taken for granted it's probably Giroux, even though it's only a handful of people who do it.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Don't think Simmonds is taken for granted. Pretty much everyone knows that he's great and that we're lucky to have him. The fact that he's basically the only guy on the team who never gets complained about supports that.

If anyone is taken for granted it's probably Giroux, even though it's only a handful of people who do it.

I guess by 'taken for granted' I actually mean that it is expected that he will do what he does and be consistent... and at a bargain Contract... Bad terminology? Probably so; my apologies on that... We are by no means at odds on this.

With Giroux, I believe some people expect him to be the savior game after game... and overlook the subtle qualities that he does without fanfare... Not right to do. Sadly, G makes has mega-contract and with that goes great expectations... Simmonds has a bargain contract, and with that we get greater than what we can really expect... Simmer is counted on to do what he does -- and now on the PK also... which he does very, very well IMO -- I think it is that he is not paid to do as much as he does, but does more than he is paid to do -- expected to do based on his Contract, you might say -- and is in a sense taken for granted... but again, probably a bad way to state it on my part... I hope that made sense as I stated it.

Basically, the main concern I'm bringing up is... What happens when his Contract is up... does he get what he deserves... in Philly? There is no clear answer, obviously... merely our opinions and guesses. As it stands... the man is presently greatly underpaid... relative to what other NHL Players receive on average... And if he doesn't eventually get at least what Schenn is getting, it is IMO a crime.

HopsHunting

May 18, 2010
Love Simmonds. Hope he is a Flyer forever.

I just bought his jersey so he may be doomed. I got a Gagne jersey the year he went to Tampa. Then I bought a JVR jersey right after he signed his contract to only have him shipped to Toronto.

I hope he breaks the curse though cause I love watching him play.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I just bought his jersey so he may be doomed. I got a Gagne jersey the year he went to Tampa. Then I bought a JVR jersey right after he signed his contract to only have him shipped to Toronto.

I hope he breaks the curse though cause I love watching him play.

For me:

Crossman 3 ---> LA
Ricci 18 ---> Quebec

Eklund 9 stayed for about 6 years after I got that one, so I lucked out :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad