Prospect Info: Way too early 2020 draft options

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
So did NJ get the 3rd or 4th in the Vatanen deal?
Vatanen played in 4 of 5 playoff games, so he played 80%. Had they held him out today, he would not have met the cutoff of 70%’or above since he would have played in 3 out of 5 games.

All that said, thenCAR 3rd in 2020 now belongs to the Devils. CAR sill has 13OA, two 2nd rounders and the BUF 3rd round pick.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
@42 jerks, what do you think about Calle Clang in the late rounds
I really like Clang—he is a great pick if still available in the fourth. Perhaps even if the Canes take Askarov.

If the Canes miss out on Clang, I think two goalies who might be available in the 7th and would be tremendous darts are Vikman and Markkanen. Each had low sv% in his primary league this past year. However, both were on teams where all the goalies had low numbers. Markkanen's results in international play were better than Blomqvist. Vikman had numbers (admittedly only in two starts) almost identical to Clang and Wallstedt.

International play often is more indicative for goalies (Grubauer and Lehner) in their draft year.

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
So...important question...if the Canes pick Neighbors, do they go with the predictable Mr. Rogers walk up music or go a bit off the board with an ode to Mayberry Gomer Pyle "Golly" call?
since we dont have a pick in that range and would be lucky to get him at 42. I would say we would more likely have a song poking at everyone else for letting him fall.

Reactions: DaveG

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I really do wish you pick Askarov this draft.

Adding a franchise goalie to this young core is a scary thought, in a positive way

Reactions: DaveG and MinJaBen

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I really do wish you pick Askarov this draft.

Adding a franchise goalie to this young core is a scary thought, in a positive way

I think he will be gone before then. Seems like Nashville would be the most likely, then maybe the Wild as another landing spot. The wildcard team to me is the Wings. I know their pick is considered too early for picking Askarov, but StevieY has not let that stop him before, Detroit has the time to wait for a kid like that to develop, and they are sitting at one of the obvious transition points in the quality of the players available. I could see them going "off the board" here and taking a franchise goalie.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think he will be gone before then. Seems like Nashville would be the most likely, then maybe the Wild as another landing spot. The wildcard team to me is the Wings. I know their pick is considered too early for picking Askarov, but StevieY has not let that stop him before, Detroit has the time to wait for a kid like that to develop, and they are sitting at one of the obvious transition points in the quality of the players available. I could see them going "off the board" here and taking a franchise goalie.

I think it’s Nashville that would be the biggest threat to take Askarov. Minnesota needs a young impact C in a bad way and where they are slotted to pick they should be able to get one.

Detroit goes BPA all day long. Absolutely no way at #4 they make a reach like that when they should be able to get a really good forward which they need dearly. Or they pick Drysdale on D. Either way they need help just about everywhere.

Nashville makes sense. Pekka is done. Saros is an OK stop gap but they need a solid goalie moving forward. They have great D. Their offence should be better than it is based on the players they have but in net is their biggest weakness. They aren’t unlike us in a few ways.

It just might depend on if they want to compete NOW or do they think they Chan wait 2-4 years and have their core still be competitive once Askarov is ready. Maybe they plan on getting in on the UFA goalie market this offseason to get more immediate help.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think it’s Nashville that would be the biggest threat to take Askarov. Minnesota needs a young impact C in a bad way and where they are slotted to pick they should be able to get one.

Detroit goes BPA all day long. Absolutely no way at #4 they make a reach like that when they should be able to get a really good forward which they need dearly.

Nashville makes sense. Pekka is done. Saros is an OK stop gap but they need a solid goalie moving forward. They have great D. Their offence should be better than it is based on the players they have but in net is their biggest weakness. They aren’t unlike us in a few ways.

It just might depend on if they want to compete NOW or do they think they Chan wait 2-4 years and have their core still be competitive once Askarov is ready. Maybe they plan on getting in on the UFA goalie market this offseason to get more immediate help.

Detroit may see Askarov as the BPA, though. They took that defenseman last year about 10 spots earlier than the consensus was projecting him to go.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Detroit may see Askarov as the BPA, though. They took that defenseman last year about 10 spots earlier than the consensus was projecting him to go.

You might be right. Mo was a reach and wasn’t even the next highest projected defenceman on the board after Byram went to the Avs. I guess if they lock on a player they will take him where they want but it seems silly that they didn’t draft down. It would be a head scratcher to do that 2 years in a row but again, Detroit just needs everything so whoever they think is BPA is what they will go for.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Detroit goes BPA all day long. Absolutely no way at #4 they make a reach like that when they should be able to get a really good forward which they need dearly. Or they pick Drysdale on D. Either way they need help just about everywhere.

While Nashville makes sense, their window is much further along than ours. I don't know anything about Askarov. Would he be NHL ready in a year? 2? 3?

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The best thing for the Canes:

If Askarov is there, we can take him.
If Askarov isnt there, we still have Koch and newly named makemeasandwich (Makiniemi) plus can take the best forward available (Mercer, Quinn, and Lundell).

We arent going in with a huge need that we have to fill with the draft pick. I feel pretty good about the draft.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

With Koivu& Staal Minnesota is desperate for quality C's, can't really see them taking anything else than a quality forward.

Nashville could be a threat, depending on how they see Saros right now, and I don't believe they have too many quality offensive prospects in the system either?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Put me down for Lundell if he's there. I wouldn't mind Askarov either but if he's like most Russian goalies who knows what this team will actually look like once he's finally ready to come to North America. But if we're retooling or rebuilding by then it'd be nice to finally have a stud goalie to build around either way.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I have a hard time seeing Minny passing on Lundell if he’s there.
I can definitely see that if he is still there. But if the centers are gone before the Wild pick, I can see them going for Askarov. Again, I think Nashville is more likely than Minnesota given where the two are drafting and their goalies in the pipeline, but I don't discount them as a possibility. I think Detroit is a wildcard given how much they need and GMSY. And now that Toronto is back in the top 15 picks, I could see them trying to move up to get Askarov as well. I think that is less likely than Detroit taking him, so not very high, but I wouldn't be shocked by that move.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think it’s Nashville that would be the biggest threat to take Askarov.

Perhaps....but they've got a pretty promising prospect in their system by the name of Conner Ingram. Kid's been steadily putting up good numbers in the AHL and with that defense, that may be their plan. Still, he's unproven, but no more so that Askarov.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

I can see Nashville if they've soured on Saros, but I haven't seen any indication there. I'd imagine they'll see him as not being ready during their contending window.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad