Prospect Info: Way too early 2020 draft options

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
If not Askarov who do you want? The more I read and watch of this crop I really like what I've seen of Seth Jarvis

Nothing. I want Askarov. If he's gone, call Florida and inquire what we need to add to the pick for Spencer Knight. Or...trade it for an established 1A goalie outright.

I am full-in on using this pick to solve the goalie issue. No consideration on using it on a F.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Nothing. I want Askarov. If he's gone, call Florida and inquire what we need to add to the pick for Spencer Knight. Or...trade it for an established 1A goalie outright.

I am full-in on using this pick to solve the goalie issue. No consideration on using it on a F.

Picking Knight has been like the best thing Fla has done in the last 5 years.
They aren’t trading him.

Askarov in Carolina would be a dream

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

I don't see a 1A available worth trading that pick for though. Is a goalie signed for 2 or fewer years worth the #12 pick? I don't think so.

I'm fine with upgrading the goalie position with a veteran, but #12 needs to be used for either a cheap forward who will be in Raleigh in a couple of years or (preferably) Askarov.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I don't see a 1A available worth trading that pick for though. Is a goalie signed for 2 or fewer years worth the #12 pick? I don't think so.

I'm fine with upgrading the goalie position with a veteran, but #12 needs to be used for either a cheap forward who will be in Raleigh in a couple of years or (preferably) Askarov.
How do we get #12 from Florida?

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

I actually think, despite what Florida's fans think, that Knight is available for the right offer. Almost has to be. Too valuable of a trade chip and their situation leaves them few options. I see no way they keep him, as much as their fans want to view him as their goaltending rescue from the Bob implosion.

For better or worse, they're tied down to Bob. They have no way to move him, especially in this potentially-multiyear cap-climate...and they're not going to pay him to sit...and there is no way they buy him out. So, their only best path forward is commit that Bob's their guy and work to improve the team in front of him.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I actually think, despite what Florida's fans think, that Knight is available for the right offer. Almost has to be. Too valuable of a trade chip and their situation leaves them few options. I see no way they keep him, as much as their fans want to view him as their goaltending rescue from the Bob implosion.

For better or worse, they're tied down to Bob. They have no way to move him, especially in this potentially-multiyear cap-climate...and they're not going to pay him to sit...and there is no way they buy him out. So, their only best path forward is commit that Bob's their guy and work to improve the team in front of him.

How close do you think Knight is? If he spends another year in school after this one, 2 years in the AHL and 2 years as a Bobrovsky backup, Florida has a 25 year old goalie ready for a starting job and clean books.

Also, the Panthers have a pick in the same area as the one used to pick Knight. That's an option if the goal is a trade to improve the current club. They might choose to go into a retool alternatively.

If you want the Canes to make that type of investment into a goalie prospect, you just have to hope that Askarov falls.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
How close do you think Knight is? If he spends another year in school after this one, 2 years in the AHL and 2 years as a Bobrovsky backup, Florida has a 25 year old goalie ready for a starting job and clean books.

Also, the Panthers have a pick in the same area as the one used to pick Knight. That's an option if the goal is a trade to improve the current club. They might choose to go into a retool alternatively.

If you want the Canes to make that type of investment into a goalie prospect, you just have to hope that Askarov falls.

Make that 2 total years in college/AHL and 3 as backup, and Florida has 3 years with an ELC backup to help manage the cap hit of Bobrovsky.

They can't deal Knight, they need Knight to be the backup/platoon for a few years to help manage the cap.

Bridgeburner96

Jan 20, 2015
I guess I'm one of the few Canes fans not interested in drafting Askarov. More interested in a skater that falls or Amirov.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Florida based on comments/rumours is draft and develop team, not spending big money on UFA’s anymore.

Knight is a potential 19y franchise goalie.
He’s exactly what they want and need

caniacnation

Apr 1, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I don't watch any kind of league outside of the NHL, so I'm not going to pretend I know anything other than YouTube highlights, stat reading, etc.

Based on what the experts are saying I would love the idea of drafting a potential franchise goalie. I will say I'm nervous of right catching goalies. I feel like they start out so good and then once players get used to shooting against them, the goalie starts to slide.

This is the lowest level of scouting possible, but something that always sticks with me.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I guess I'm one of the few Canes fans not interested in drafting Askarov. More interested in a skater that falls or Amirov.

I hope they pass on Askarov if he’s there or he’s taken prior to 13OA so it’s not an issue. I won’t be utterly disappointed if they do end up taking him; but i think the Russian factor is nothing to sneeze at. I’d expect the earliest he comes to NA is for the 23-24/24-25 season. You’re definitely going to have to wait for this kid to be fully prepared.

Reactions: Bridgeburner96

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad