Prospect Info: Way too early 2020 draft options

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I need something to keep me occupied before the first game. So I started thinking about the next draft. The Cane have two 1st rounders, (likely) two second rounders, and two third rounders. Some are likely to be traded, but that is for later.

I presume the first rounders will both be around 25, the second round picks around 45 (NYR) and 55.

Here are my way too early options in order of preference:

1st Round
Jan Mysak (LW) Czech: Ranked as high as 14 by Josh Bell and as low as 35 by Future Considerations. Mysak is a left-shot who HockeyProspect rates as having Very Good hockey sense and Very Good skating.

Justin Sourdif (C) Canada: Right shot. HockeyProspect states:
Very good hockey brain as he puts himself in good spots and makes some very clever passes. Defensively is a very strong stickchecker who is really good at finding the puck.

Jacob Perrault (C) Canada: Right shot. Scored 30 goals in his 16-year-old season in the OHL. That number tied him with Canes prospect Blake Murray. Perrault might end up the highest ranked of these three and could be gone by the Canes/Leafs pick.

2nd Round

Oliver Suni (LW/RW) Finland: Right shot Finn playing in the OHL. Said to be one of the best passers in the draft.

There are several goalies I am following that I think would be great late round picks (the Canes have no 5th or 6th, but two 7ths).

Roman Basran—I really think the Canes should have picked him in 2019.
Gabriel Carriere
Tucker Tynan
Koen MacInnes—t
his is my sleeper as he is a backup in the WHL but has been pretty solid at lower levels.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I would love the Toronto pick to be Top 25 to at least give us a little value when our pick slots in at 31

Considering how deep 2020 is projected to be, I wouldn't be surprised if this is another draft where Carolina keeps trading down, picking up 4th/5th/6th rounders in the process.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I am really high on Suni—he is one of the few bigger players this draft. For some reason a lot of the forwards are 5'8"-6'.

Suni seems to be on the scoresheet almost every game. I don't know that he makes it into the first round, he might still be around with the Rangers pick if NYR misses the playoffs. I see him going 40-50.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Is the Toronto pick condition their discretion if they want to push it to next year or does it have to be top 10 to get pushed?

"Conditions: If the Leafs pick is top 10 in 2020, the Hurricanes will receive Toronto's 2021 1st round pick instead."

I would say it has to go according to the condition. At least this CapFriendly bit doesn't state that TML would get to choose.

Technically the top 10 condition would become empty and needless if they just could choose if they want to push it.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Antonio Stranges- London Knights
Fantastic skater, great hands and high hockey IQ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unsustainable

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Connor Zary seems like a Rod guy
22. Connor Zary, C, Kamloops (WHL)

A physical 200-foot forward who is a threat to score at any point in the game, Zary was a standout for Team Canada at the under-18 world championship, where he impacted shifts with hard-nosed play, impeccable positioning and strength on the puck. Like Sourdif, Zary was a key component in his team’s playoff run. He led all WHL 2020 draft eligibles in scoring with 67 points in 63 games.

League likes speed

23. Tim Stutzle, C, Mannheim U20 (DNL U20)

An excitable center with a deadly first step and elite quickness in any direction, Stutzle is a New Hampshire recruit who is on track to become the third German-born first rounder in the last three years. From a purely point-producing standpoint, few in his class have Stutzle’s upside.

speed and relentless forecheck? Yes, please.

29. Zion Nybeck, RW, HV71 J20 (Superelit)

A hard-working winger who can adjust his game to meet the requirements for any type of game, Nybeck provides a spark off the bench by using his speed and anticipation to make plays after a relentless forecheck. His playmaking and finishing abilities are often overlooked, and he was one of the Superelit’s top 16-year-old scorers.

Source: sportingnews july 31st.

Rankings are all over the place. I think we have a shot at a bunch of guys who are ranked higher just because of the parity.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
22. Connor Zary, C, Kamloops (WHL)

A physical 200-foot forward who is a threat to score at any point in the game, Zary was a standout for Team Canada at the under-18 world championship, where he impacted shifts with hard-nosed play, impeccable positioning and strength on the puck. Like Sourdif, Zary was a key component in his team’s playoff run. He led all WHL 2020 draft eligibles in scoring with 67 points in 63 games.

League likes speed

23. Tim Stutzle, C, Mannheim U20 (DNL U20)

An excitable center with a deadly first step and elite quickness in any direction, Stutzle is a New Hampshire recruit who is on track to become the third German-born first rounder in the last three years. From a purely point-producing standpoint, few in his class have Stutzle’s upside.

speed and relentless forecheck? Yes, please.

I didn't include Stutzle of Zary because most of what I have read in the past few weeks indicate both are going to be gone in the top 20 picks. In fact, Stutzle seems to be making a case for top 10 with an outside shot at top 5.

Antonio Stranges- London Knights
Fantastic skater, great hands and high hockey IQ.
Stranges I would have equivalent to Perrault—for me slightly behind Mysak and Sourdif. But likely only one of those will be available. So Stranges might be a good option.

I know it's early but man that's probably most stacked draft since 2003.
I am no expert, but what many are saying is it not nearly as good as 2015 (likely no Aho, Carlo, or Hintz in the 2nd), but 2020 will have decent talent at 10-35 or so.

Reactions: Unsustainable

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
As I mentioned in the D prospects thread—I am wasting time until the next game.

Here is my first attempt at a draft list:

1st: Jan Mysak—LW, left shot
1st: Justin Sourdif—C/W, right shot
2nd (Rangers pick around 45): Oliver Suni—RW, right shot
2nd: Daemon Hunt—D, left shot
3rd: Lukas Reichel—LW, left shot
3rd: Theo Nordlund—D, left shot
4th: Roman Basran—G (overager)
7th: Ivan Zivlak—D, left shot
7th: Koen MacInnes—G

Last edited:

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Playing around again reading scouting reports and thinking about the Canes 19 draft. The team definitely went for upside and took a number of small players—in the case of Fensore and Tieksola unusually small. Though Webber made up for that as one of the tallest players drafted.

Still, the Canes could go for both talent and size in 2020 after the first two rounds—where there really is a dearth of players taller than 6'2 based on most rankings.

So starting in round 3:
3rd: Jack Finley—6'5" right-shot center
3rd: Joni Jurmo—6'4" left-shot D-man who is one of the best skaters in the draft
4th: Brandon Coe—6'3" right-shot winger
7th: Thomas Pelletier—6'3" right-shot D-man (overager)
7th: Hugo Ollas—6'6" goalie

Drafting solely on size is absurd. However, based on early scouting none of these players is a huge stretch in these draft spots.
Based on the limited information I have found, Jurmo could be a steal if he is still available in the 3rd.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Playing around again reading scouting reports and thinking about the Canes 19 draft. The team definitely went for upside and took a number of small players—in the case of Fensore and Tieksola unusually small. Though Webber made up for that as one of the tallest players drafted.

Still, the Canes could go for both talent and size in 2020 after the first two rounds—where there really is a dearth of players taller than 6'2 based on most rankings.

So starting in round 3:
3rd: Jack Finley—6'5" right-shot center
3rd: Joni Jurmo—6'4" left-shot D-man who is one of the best skaters in the draft
4th: Brandon Coe—6'3" right-shot winger
7th: Thomas Pelletier—6'3" right-shot D-man (overager)
7th: Hugo Ollas—6'6" goalie

Drafting solely on size is absurd. However, based on early scouting none of these players is a huge stretch in these draft spots.
Based on the limited information I have found, Jurmo could be a steal if he is still available in the 3rd.
2009 Jim Rutherford has entered the chat

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Last month I reviewed the options drafting for size. Here is another version drafting for skating (based on HockeyProspect that uses a 5.0 scale for overall skating ability).

1st: Toronto pick if 11-15: Dylan Holloway (6'0", left shot center/winger)
1st: Ty Smilanic (6'1", left shot winger)
2nd: Rangers pick around 45: Ozzie Wiesblatt (5'10", right winger)
2nd: Juri Jurmo (6'4", left shot D)
3rd: Brett Berard (5'9", left shot winger)
3rd: Ronan Seeley (5'11", left shot D)
4th: Brock Faber (6'0", right shot D)

HockeyProspect rates Holloway, Smilanic, Wiesblatt, and Jurmo all 4.0. Berard and Faber are 3.5 and Seeley 3.0.
They also rate individual components (speed, quickness, mechanics, etc.) on a 4-9 scale. These are the highest individual scores:

Holloway = 8 for quickness
Smilanic = 8 for speed
Wiesblatt = 7 for speed
Jurmo = 8 for speed
Berard = 7 for speed and quickness
Seeley = 7 for mobility
Faber = 7 for mobility

There aren't scouting reports for players that are likely available after the 4th.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Given that Toronto is looking much better, here is my New Years update.

1st (Toronto): Ty Smilanic (great skater, has played both C/W)
1st: Theodor Niederbach (right shot C, produces at all levels)
2nd (Rangers): Martin Chromiak (right shot winger who has been outstanding in international play; will be in CHL second half of the season, so he could improve his stock and not be available) or Ozzy Wiesblatt (excellent skater, battles all over the ice, right shot)
2nd: Joni Jurmo (tall D-man with elite speed)
3rd (Buffalo): Ronan Seeley (two-way D, high PSF)
3rd: Jack Finley (one of the younger and bigger forwards)
4th: Hugo Ollas (big G—now listed at 6'7" with decent numbers)
7th: Axel Kumlin (right shot D, another PSF favorite)
7th: Thomas Pelletier (passed over in 2019 draft, still only a month older than some 2020 prospects, big right shot D)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad