Prospect Info: Way too early 2020 draft options

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I prefer Sanderson to Drysdale, but both of them look more like potntial great #3s than a Dougie-level D. I'm not sure their upside is much more than Pesce is now and it would be at least 3-4 years off which is the end of the current core's contracts. If NJ calls up and offers #18 + #20 then I'd much prefer two of Holloway, Zary, Amirov, Borque, Gunler, Khusnutdinov, etc. over just one of Drysdale/Sanderson.

I honestly haven't seen much of Sanderson or Drysdale and don't have a strong opinion on either, have more just read what others have to say about them. Maybe I'm getting hung up a bit on handedness but I think that should factor in IF we were considering between the two of them (doubtful). Of course neither is likely to come near Dougie levels, but honestly very few prospects ever are; Dougie is a legit Norris caliber D man and is likely to get paid accordingly, so if we choose to allocate cap space differently and not pay Dougie that much then having Drysdale in the mix would be a good thing for our D going forward. Of course it's a huge downgrade from Dougie but also frees up that cap space that would've gone to Dougie for us to upgrade elsewhere. I'm really hoping we just keep Dougie, he's a great fit here and should be a core piece going forward, but until we see the pen to paper I don't think it's a guarantee.

And if we did move Dougie for other assets, I think we could still be in good shape on the right side if we drafted Drysdale and maybe signed Vatanen to fill in until he's ready. All this is just hypothetical and extremely unlikely of course, but interesting to think about.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Here’s Pronman’s take on CAR’s 2020 picks:

CAROLINA HURRICANES
13: Jack Quinn, RW, Ottawa-OHL
41: Jeremie Poirier, D, Saint John-QMJHL
53: Vasili Ponomareyv, C, Shawinigan-QMJHL
69: Daniil Guschin, LW, Muskegon-USHL
115: Connor McClennon, RW, Winnipeg-WHL
140: Adam Wilsby, D, Sodertalje-Allsvenskan
199: James Hardie, LW, Mississauga-OHL
208: Timothy Lovell, D, Des Moines

Jarvis went at 12, Aksarov at 11 and from what I’ve read, I think I’d prefer the Canes take Cormier over Poirier if they go D in the 2nd. A nice haul though. I’d imagine Wheeler would wholeheartedly approve as a bunch of the guys here are in his top 50

There were comments that 4-5 teams in the top 10 are rumored to have real interest in the goalie.

For reference here's McKeens rankings at those selections:

13 - Dawson Mercer - C
41 - Marat Khusnutdinov - C
53 - Anton Johannesson - D
69 - Daemon Hunt - D
115 - Dmitri Zlodeyev - C
140 - Will Cranley - G
199 - Carl Berglund - LW
208 - Lucas Edmonds - RW

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Except, he hasn't actually said that. Maybe implied it was not the team's first choice, but nothing definitive

In any scenario where the Canes were high on Askarov it makes absolutely zero sense to make that known to the league. Edmonton and Toronto are picking directly after Carolina and both need goalies. Outspoken interest would be begging them to jump up to Florida's spot.

If the Canes didn't want Askarov it may be in their best interest to make it seem publicly that they really want him. Get an Edmonton/Toronto to jump up if he is there and ensure your forward drops another slot.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Jd0FE3l.jpg

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
11. Michal Gut—Gut didn't garner tons of notice in the WHL with Everett. But he has leadership qualities (Czech captain for both U17 and U18) and has shown in international play that he can produce. Another August birthday, which makes me think he will have a breakout year this coming season.

Moving him up to 6 on my "wish list." Gut has been killing it in the Czech second-tier pro league with 6 goals in 7 games. I think some of his low point production last season was playing for Everett, which plays a very structured style and hasn't had a draft-year forward hit point-per-game in several years.

When I drafted Gut in the mock draft thread in the 5th round, I mentioned that he could be this year's Cirelli. I know that is highly unlikely, but I do think his acknowledged leadership skills and this newfound scoring touch make him one of the best sleepers in the draft. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->