Prospect Info: Way too early 2020 draft options

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Yes, they like to swing for the fences. However, we have also seen their draft board may not resemble the general board (they felt Suzuki was a top 10 pick last year, for instance.)

It will be interesting to see where Askarov slots. The fact the rest of this year's goalie class is relatively weak doesn't push him up for me; I'm more interested in whether they rate him as a "generational" pick up there with Knight last year. If so, I can see Carolina jumping at him or even moving up with the draft picks and/or prospects in hand. (Bean as a draft day chip?) If not, it could be they aren't as thrilled with Askarov specifically or they may simply feel the position is too unpredictable for such a big investment. It certainly seems they feel that way on the UFA market, but the draft may be different.
I think that Bean deserves a chance. He's the best D in the AHL. Good development so far. Cheap. Young. I don't get all the 'he's not a fit for Roddy system'. He's still young kid at all.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I know I've seen a few Tweets here and there but I don't remember anything. Is the KHL season going to play? They start fairly early, don't they? I wonder if possibly seeing Koch and Askarov in those leagues to start the year would have any impact.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think that Bean deserves a chance. He's the best D in the AHL. Good development so far. Cheap. Young. I don't get all the 'he's not a fit for Roddy system'. He's still young kid at all.

I think the Bean issue at this point mostly revolves around the expansion draft and losing a good young player for nothing. I'd like to see him get a shot as well, but then how on Earth do you protect him after this season? I realize this is the kind of problem good teams have, but it's still a concern.

Reactions: zman77

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I know I've seen a few Tweets here and there but I don't remember anything. Is the KHL season going to play? They start fairly early, don't they? I wonder if possibly seeing Koch and Askarov in those leagues to start the year would have any impact.

Current plan is to start the KHL season on September 2nd. Whether they actually play is still up in the air, but it's possible to get about a month of KHL games before the draft this year.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Reactions: zman77 and DaveG

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
If I recall, both of those goalies fell off the map towards the end of the season in terms of appearances. Might be interesting to see how they do early if they do play. Not that we would make our decision entirely on that, but it could influence things.

Reactions: zman77

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Yes, they like to swing for the fences. However, we have also seen their draft board may not resemble the general board (they felt Suzuki was a top 10 pick last year, for instance.)

It will be interesting to see where Askarov slots. The fact the rest of this year's goalie class is relatively weak doesn't push him up for me; I'm more interested in whether they rate him as a "generational" pick up there with Knight last year. If so, I can see Carolina jumping at him or even moving up with the draft picks and/or prospects in hand. (Bean as a draft day chip?) If not, it could be they aren't as thrilled with Askarov specifically or they may simply feel the position is too unpredictable for such a big investment. It certainly seems they feel that way on the UFA market, but the draft may be different.

From everything I've seen Askarov is being touted to be better than Knight. Many are saying he's the best goalie prospect since Price and that he's almost NHL ready now.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Understand your point. They may put their eggs in Kochetkov and Makieniemi’s baskets. As they are 2 years closer to playing here.

I believe the FO thinks they've got a solid, if unspectacular goalie development crop. Kochetkov and Makiniemi are just that....solid....on the better side of good. Neds is what he is and likely has some sort of opportunity, somewhere as a back-up in the league. It wouldn't surprise me if that was here (he's on a one-way this upcoming season).

In the end, I see the FO using the #13 on their BPA, but almost certainly leveraging one of the 2nd's to trade down....maybe also one of the 3rds. There are going to be some interesting players on the board in the 2nd round, so I could see teams contacting us about the Buffalo 2nd that we own. My sense is we end up making 8 or 9 picks again.

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
I tried asking a question in the main board but didn't receive an answer.

How do you guys see Lafreniere compare to Svech? Both recent #1 forwards taken, both wingers. If I understood correctly Svech is more of a power forward but Lafreniere is still quite physical.

What is interesting is that in the main board many compared Lafreniere to Hossa. I remember Svech receiving similar comparisons. Not sure if it's only due to draft position or if it's a stylistic match.

Also Kakko fits The mold of highly picked big talented powerforward. I guess his draft was considered weak so consensus would be Lafreniere > Svech >> Kakko. However after this season I'm really impressed by Svech and I don't understand why Laf and him aren't seen as comparable talents?

I mean isn't Lafreniere similar talent to Hall? I see no reason why Svech wouldn't be able to perform as well as Hall. Any thoughts?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think it's definitely partially resume based and Canadian hype based. He'll be great, but I think him and Svech will be similar in value, if not necessarily point totals every year.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
Quinn is such a good goal scorer in the best development League in the world

hell be tough to pass up if available

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Some nice praise from Wheeler in his latest article:

"Now, a week after having swept the Rangers, their fleece of the Maple Leafs in a salary dump for Patrick Marleau has resulted in a top pick in a deep draft. I have more faith in the Hurricanes using the Leafs’ 13th overall pick effectively than I do in any team’s amateur scouting operation hitting in that range (and it’s a tricky range)."

Wheeler: 10 thoughts after the second phase of the NHL Draft Lottery

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Quinn is such a good goal scorer in the best development League in the world

hell be tough to pass up if available
As I recall he's a bit on the older side of the draft and I've read that some think he's not really an elite sniper or goal scorer in spite of the numbers he's put up. I kinda wonder if he ends up a meh Kieffer Bellows type.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So on the revised conditions on the Vatanen trade:

NJD receives:

a) 2020 3rd round pick if:
1. CAR beats NYR in the 2020 play-in
2. Vatanen plays in 70% or more of CAR’s playoff games (excluding play-in games)

b) 2020 4th round pick if:
2. Vatanen plays in at least 2 games against NYR
3. Vatanen plays in less than 70% of CAR’s playoff games

c) No pick if:
2. Vatanen plays in less than 2 games against NYR
3. Vatanen plays in less than 70% of CAR's playoff games

d) 2020 or 2021 4th round pick if:
1. CAR loses to NYR in the 2020 play-in
2. Vatanen plays in at least 2 games against NYR

e) No pick if:
1. CAR loses to NYR in the 2020 play-in
2. Vatanen plays in less than 2 games against NYR

The options c, d and e cannot happen anymore. CAR won NYR and Vatanen played in at least 2 games.

NJD will get either CAR 3rd or 4th this year, dependent on whether Vatanen plays in at least 70 % of Canes playoff games.

Until this clears out, both our 3rd and 4th are encumbered and we can't use either in a trade.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If Pronman’s mock were true, Winnipeg would decide between defense and center. I bet they go Lundell instead of defense. He’ll help sooner.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So on the revised conditions on the Vatanen trade:

The options c, d and e cannot happen anymore. CAR won NYR and Vatanen played in at least 2 games.

NJD will get either CAR 3rd or 4th this year, dependent on whether Vatanen plays in at least 70 % of Canes playoff games.

Until this clears out, both our 3rd and 4th are encumbered and we can't use either in a trade.

why would we be making a trade between now and the end of the playoffs?

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Honestly, if any of Rossi, Askarov, and Lundell are chosen before they get to pick #13, I would trade down, get some extra picks, and go to a spot where Khusnutdinov, Amirov, and Gunler are probably available in the late-teens/early-twenties. Amirov in particular would be a great get.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad