MyLoveIsBlue

Feb 20, 2015
Barbancourt.JPG

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Unpopular Opinion:

Most North American craft stouts are better than Guinness. Like 90%

edit: the American version of Guinness. I cannot speak for what is served in Ireland

I hear this a lot so it's not that unpopular.

To me, there aren't a lot of American craft dry stouts. Everything is high ABV small batch stouts, or nitro/milk stout aka sugar stouts.

Guinness is a session stout. I've not found many American stouts that are that way. Most are loaded with sugar and overpowering flavors. I'm not into doing anything more than tasting a peanut butter stout. It feels more like a liquer to me.

I like Left Hand's Nitro, Firestone's Merlin, and a few others. But you can't drink more than 1 or 2 of those.

Reactions: NCRanger

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
Tried Elysian Spacedust and Stone IPA for the first time recently. Both were Oct dates so still in the 90 day window and I wasn't impressed frankly.

I guess I got spoiled with Lagunitas Waldos and Troeggs Nimble Giant over the summer. I'll be sticking with 2 Roads 2 Ruin for my money. Flavor profile is similar to a watered down Waldos, but stonger than most singles.

In my cupboard I'm hosting Ardbeg 10, Compass Box Peat Monster, and I picked up a Laphroaig 10 because is was on sale for $41. I prefer the first 2, but can't go wrong with $41 Laphroaig.

Should get me through the holidays.
May pick up either Buffalo Trace or Rare Eagle for when I have company, I know the Islays are an aquire taste.

Anyone wanna recommend me the Buffalo or Eagle if I had to chose 1?

Which one has more depth and character. Bite is fine, I'd rather add a drop of water to a fine liquor rather than a smoother out of the bottle brand and 1 or 2 flavor notes.
I personally prefer Buffalo trace over eagle rare. I feel like I get more oak/vanilla notes out of it and also think it’s smoother.

Reactions: x BEUKEBOOM x

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Do you guys like Southern Tier? I live in Buffalo as most of you know but I fail to see what's so great about it and people rave over it. Some brews are good but most are meh

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Do you guys like Southern Tier? I live in Buffalo as most of you know but I fail to see what's so great about it and people rave over it. Some brews are good but most are meh

Short answer: no

Long answer: they have ridden the coattails of Pumking to ascend popularity. Warlock is better than pumking, but nobody seems to care. Everything else they do is pretty mediocre.

ever since their partnership with Victory, they have been putting out more and more product, and none of it is any good. A lot of it seems gimmick-ey. I think they did a beer that was red because of beet juice or something.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

Nope. Years ago I grabbed one for a end cap 6pk sampler and liked it.

Bought their mixed 12 last year cuz I saw it had a 2x IPA. Didn't like it much not terrible, just not unique either or very flavorful. I'd put them in the same tier as Saranac, Sam Adams, Sierra, etc...

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
My buddy loves Elysian Spacedust. I think it is okay. I like the Stone IPA much better. Lagunitas... eh. Their Lagunitas Sucks Ale last year was one of the worst beers I have ever consumed so I am pretty turned off by them.

I'd say Buffalo Trace if you are picking between the two.

You're right about Sucks. It isn't that good and I don't understand its rating in beeradvocate. I prefer their Hop Stoopid and if you like heavy tropical IPA try the limited Waldos. It comes out about June/July. 12%abv, creamy like a NeIPA, chewy, apricot, mango flavors, a touchy boozy but not overpowering, I've had worse trust me, Raging Bi*ch double is super boozy and not fun to drink.

I like the Ommagang Abby Ale. Not much else though. Philosopher has too much cherry, Nirvana was very average, and the Dubble they just came out with was boozy and I didn't feel worth the price as a stronger version of the Abby the flavor didn't hold up. It's almost $20 here for a 4pk, Abby is $11.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
A bit disappointed with this year's New Belgium holiday 12pk.

Last year they had a Cellar Sour that tasted like Black Cherry soda as well as a Triple that had banana bread notes.

This year it's just different shades of run of the mill styles.

I've been disappointed with New Belgium for a while now.

They have a second brewery in North Carolina now, and when I heard about it, I got very excited because only a year before did they even distribute here. First 3 six packs of Fat Tire were incredible.

Recently, the quality of everything they do has gone downhill.

Reactions: x BEUKEBOOM x

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
I've been disappointed with New Belgium for a while now.

They have a second brewery in North Carolina now, and when I heard about it, I got very excited because only a year before did they even distribute here. First 3 six packs of Fat Tire were incredible.

Recently, the quality of everything they do has gone downhill.
New Belgium had been distributed in NC for a decade before they opened the brewery in Asheville. They picked NC Bc it goes back and forth as their 3rd/4th largest state, sales wise and the #1 on the east coast.

I will agree that the quality seemed to go down when they started brewing everything we get out east but the speciality stuff in Asheville. I know they had to dump a lot of batches of their juicy haze ipa Bc they couldn’t get it dialed in at the new facility.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You're right about Sucks. It isn't that good and I don't understand its rating in beeradvocate. I prefer their Hop Stoopid and if you like heavy tropical IPA try the limited Waldos. It comes out about June/July. 12%abv, creamy like a NeIPA, chewy, apricot, mango flavors, a touchy boozy but not overpowering, I've had worse trust me, Raging Bi*ch double is super boozy and not fun to drink.

I like the Ommagang Abby Ale. Not much else though. Philosopher has too much cherry, Nirvana was very average, and the Dubble they just came out with was boozy and I didn't feel worth the price as a stronger version of the Abby the flavor didn't hold up. It's almost $20 here for a 4pk, Abby is $11.

That's a bloody shame, because Fat Tire was the brand that "opened the door" for me when it comes to beers.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Wawa is awesome.

I love bringing people there and having them look at me like I've finally lost my mind.

Wawa is the oasis of South Jersey. I work in the field and my area is pretty much NJ Rt. 70 and everything south. Wawa is my coffee spot, and is great bathroom stop along the way.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Wawa is the oasis of South Jersey. I work in the field and my area is pretty much NJ Rt. 70 and everything south. Wawa is my coffee spot, and is great bathroom stop along the way.

I am right at the edges of their territory in Pennsylvania, before it transitions to Sheetz. I pick up sandwiches and coffee from time to time and stop in for a few other things.

For people used to 7-11 and "convenience" stores, it kind of blows their mind.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I am right at the edges of their territory in Pennsylvania, before it transitions to Sheetz. I pick up sandwiches and coffee from time to time and stop in for a few other things.

For people used to 7-11 and "convenience" stores, it kind of blows their mind.

Stop at a Wawa, and you can get coffee, a sandwich, fill up your tank and hit the bathroom. Fortunately, they even have them in Delaware, Maryland and Virginia, as well as Florida. I guess QuickChek is becoming that way in North Jersey.

Sounds like you’re in Amish country in PA. I love that area. Hell, I love PA in general. In my former job, I did a lot of work in SE PA. Aside from the sports teams, I’ve come to like a lot about the Philly area.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Stop at a Wawa, and you can get coffee, a sandwich, fill up your tank and hit the bathroom. Fortunately, they even have them in Delaware, Maryland and Virginia, as well as Florida. I guess QuickChek is becoming that way in North Jersey.

Sounds like you’re in Amish country in PA. I love that area. Hell, I love PA in general. In my former job, I did a lot of work in SE PA. Aside from the sports teams, I’ve come to like a lot about the Philly area.

I currently make my home base in Lancaster County --- about halfway between Harrisburg and City of Lancaster. Moved back east in 2014 when my father's health began to decline and I decided I wanted our kids to be closer to family. I regularly travel into Philly for business and events like concerts. For example, that's where I'm going to see The Stones in June.

I have a train station in my town that I can take into Philly, or right into MSG without transferring. Generally speaking, if I can avoid driving, I do.

More than likely, my wife and I looking to move the family to Florida in the next year or so, so having Wawa there is a nice luxury.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I currently make my home base in Lancaster County --- about halfway between Harrisburg and City of Lancaster. Moved back east in 2014 when my father's health began to decline and I decided I wanted our kids to be closer to family. I regularly travel into Philly for business and events like concerts. For example, that's where I'm going to see The Stones in June.

I have a train station in my town that I can take into Philly, or right into MSG without transferring. Generally speaking, if I can avoid driving, I do.

More than likely, my wife and I looking to move the family to Florida in the next year or so, so having Wawa there is a nice luxury.

I can’t verify the whole state, but Wawas are cropping up along I-95 and I-4. So, I can verify the areas my wife and pass through on our way to WDW.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Pork roll egg and cheese breakfast sandwich with WaWa French vanilla. My staples of life when I lived in Jersey

There are a few places out here that have a cheese steak egg roll. I could wreck that every day.

I'd weigh 500 pounds, but I could do it, so help me!

Last edited:
Reactions: NY Lito

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I can’t verify the whole state, but Wawas are cropping up along I-95 and I-4. So, I can verify the areas my wife and pass through on our way to WDW.

I was down in Florida with the family in April when we went to WDW, and there were several in the Orlando area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad