OT: Watcha Drinkin'?: Part I

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
This is a good bump for people to get ideas for this upcoming season. We all know we're going to need it some nights.

Reactions: Ori

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
I used to live in LA, so I have an endless supply of Bruery stuff that I'm aging (multiple Black Tuesdays, Grey Mondays, Mocha Wednesdays, etc.). I'm now in Denver, and River North is my favorite spot (pretty small shop, don't distribute out of CO, but some of the best stouts around. Mr. Sandman and Shadowman are two of the best I've ever had).

The Bruery and River North probably make up about 50% of my cellar, which is a bit embarrassing and really limits my variety at the moment. Others that I'm excited about - I have a couple bottles of Black Widow by Coachella Valley Brewing...and exceptional 20% stout for such a small shop (not Black Tuesday level, but very tasty). Also, a handful of Avery stuff (Uncle Jacobs, Tweak, Mephistopheles), BrewDog (CocoaPsycho, Tokyo*),

Outside of stouts - I've been sitting on a bottle of Dogfish 120 for 4 years now, trying to hold out for a decade to see how it turns out. I've had it at around 3 or 4 years aged, but really curious to see long-term effects. I have a couple barleywines, one from Crux called Doublecross (AMAZING brewery, everything they do is great).

EDIT: I realized I didn't answer your other question, re: what I'm excited about opening soon. I have a few verticals that I've saved up, one is a series of River North's "lighter" imperial stouts (i.e., around 10%) called Avarice. I have 2015-17 of the barrel aged version and 2015 non-barrel aged...looking forward to cracking those four at the same time.

The other beer I'm about to crack is Perrin's Vietnamese Porter...I've always planned on aging one, but I can never resist opening it when I get my hands on it. Probably in my top 5 beers in the world.

I have not, thanks for the tip! Do you know if they distribute out of state?

Solid collection. Being in LA and Denver certainly doesn’t hurt.

Big fan of The Bruery. I’m in the Southeast and have been on a Monday Night Brewing and Resident Culture kick recently.

I’ve got a 2015 Russian River Supplication and Cigar City Cognac Marshal Zhukov I’m planning on cracking soon.

That dogfish 120 will be interesting. I wonder what the breaking point in age is for it to go from a DIPA to essentially a barleywine.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I used to live in LA, so I have an endless supply of Bruery stuff that I'm aging (multiple Black Tuesdays, Grey Mondays, Mocha Wednesdays, etc.). I'm now in Denver, and River North is my favorite spot (pretty small shop, don't distribute out of CO, but some of the best stouts around. Mr. Sandman and Shadowman are two of the best I've ever had).

The Bruery and River North probably make up about 50% of my cellar, which is a bit embarrassing and really limits my variety at the moment. Others that I'm excited about - I have a couple bottles of Black Widow by Coachella Valley Brewing...and exceptional 20% stout for such a small shop (not Black Tuesday level, but very tasty). Also, a handful of Avery stuff (Uncle Jacobs, Tweak, Mephistopheles), BrewDog (CocoaPsycho, Tokyo*),

Outside of stouts - I've been sitting on a bottle of Dogfish 120 for 4 years now, trying to hold out for a decade to see how it turns out. I've had it at around 3 or 4 years aged, but really curious to see long-term effects. I have a couple barleywines, one from Crux called Doublecross (AMAZING brewery, everything they do is great).

Lord Hobo makes very new-age super sweet high alcohol DIPAs, so if thats what you're into, then they do it very well. Personally I prefer my DIPAs to be total hop bombs so its not really for me.

as far as the Dogfish,

I have a 4yr, 3yr, and 2yr aging. Gonna do a top down tasting at some point.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
If you guys/gals want to bring out your inner Italiano, I have a recipe for you :)

Limoncello

Ingredients

10 lemons
1 (750-ml) bottle vodka
3 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups sugar

Directions

Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel from the lemons in long strips (reserve the lemons for another use). Using a small sharp knife, trim away the white pith from the lemon peels; discard the pith. Place the lemon peels in a 2-quart pitcher. Pour the vodka over the peels and cover with plastic wrap. Steep the lemon peels in the vodka for 4 days at room temperature.

Stir the water and sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Cool completely. Pour the sugar syrup over the vodka mixture. Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight. Strain the limoncello through a mesh strainer. Discard the peels. Transfer the limoncello to bottles. Seal the bottles and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours and up to 1 month

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Discovered Domaine Brunet Pinot Noir not too long ago. You can find it in select wine shops or online for about $12 bottle, restaurants for around $30-$35.

I find it to be an excellent value. Very smooth, velvety finish, doesn't overpower a meal. Can be paired with pasta and red sauces, as well as beef or pork.

If you're looking for something different, I'd recommend cooking up some burgers with a pimento cheese, with sweet potato fries. Pair it with the wine, enjoy.

Reactions: Matt4776

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
am a big fan of V. Sattui reds. Napa wines. You can only get ether at winery or on line. Their Family Red is a great match for anything. Including adding some to your Sunday gravy.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Aside from the occasional beer with colleagues, or the once in a blue moon cocktail, I'm pretty much a wine drinker at this stage of my life.

I've had bottles that cost several hundred dollars, and bottles that were under $10, and there's value to be had at all levels. Some of the most expensive wines I've had were good, but not mind-blowing. Some of the less expensive wines would easily beat most labels in a blind tasting among 99 percent of the population.

There are some tasty wines here in Pennsylvania, with more than 200 wineries located throughout the state. I tend to lean toward California and French wines, but have also had great wines from Italy, Spain, Argentina, Germany and other location.

One of my side hobbies is keeping a wine journal with tasting notes and labels (or photos if I am unable to remove the labels).

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Any other magnificent bastards from the Whiskey Tribe?

If you don’t know what I’m talking about look up the Whiskey Vault in YouTube. It’s a growing community of whiskey lovers. We try to create a snob free group.

Warning: you will end up buying more whiskeys the more you watch lol.

I myself am a scotch guy, who will dabble in Japanese and Irish whiskeys as well

Reactions: Matt4776

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Anyone else in their early 30s and realized you can't drink like you used to? Haha

Last week I got blasted twice for my birthday and the next day wasn't fun.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Anyone else in their early 30s and realized you can't drink like you used to? Haha

Last week I got blasted twice for my birthday and the next day wasn't fun.

I can actually drink more than I used to, and I'm more "functionnal" the next day, if, by "functionnal", you don't mean "working with lots of people", as it's pretty much non-stop farting if I drink more than, say, 4 16-oz of non-filtered stuff.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Moved to NY a little over a week ago and already this...

Attachments

• IMG_8126.JPG
    IMG_8126.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 21

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
One of the best thing craft breweries are doing is shifting over from 22oz or 750ml bottles to 12oz 4 packs for specialty stuff. I love being able to open one and throw the other 3 in the cellar and pull one out from time to time to see how it ages.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009

If you don’t know what I’m talking about look up the Whiskey Vault in YouTube. It’s a growing community of whiskey lovers. We try to create a snob free group.

I myself am a scotch guy, who will dabble in Japanese and Irish whiskeys as well

Primarily a scotch guy myself. Would never turn down some good bourbon though.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
Stella Cidre is my new go to beverage when I feel like sipping on something cold. I like single malts and if you need something for a shot with friends after work you can’t go wrong with Honey Jack.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Went to Interboro yesterday and saw that they packaged and sold their first BA stout in 4 packs of 8oz cans. Never seen an 8oz can before but definitely an interesting idea...

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Went to Interboro yesterday and saw that they packaged and sold their first BA stout in 4 packs of 8oz cans. Never seen an 8oz can before but definitely an interesting idea...
Its a great idea, especially when the ABV gets up into the double digits.

They serve 8oz drafts of this kind of stuff in bars, why not package it as such?

I wish more breweries would do the same.

Reactions: ponzu4u

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

I drink whiskey (prefer triple distilled). I was recently in Edinburgh and visited the Scottish Whisky Experience which was fun. But the best whiskey selection I've ever seen is at Delmonico's in Las Vegas. BTW I went to the Yamazaki distillery outside Osaka and the tour is awesome. You can almost pass out from the fumes in the warehouse! :)

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I drink whiskey (prefer triple distilled). I was recently in Edinburgh and visited the Scottish Whisky Experience which was fun. But the best whiskey selection I've ever seen is at Delmonico's in Las Vegas. BTW I went to the Yamazaki distillery outside Osaka and the tour is awesome. You can almost pass out from the fumes in the warehouse! :)
Damn how do I get in your travel schedule? lol

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Moved to NY a little over a week ago and already this...

I hope you enjoy the city. And I promised myself to visit NY before I get old, but I`m only 42, so I`m still young and agile, haha. :)

Reactions: ponzu4u

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad