OT: Watcha Drinkin'?: Part I

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
New Belgium had been distributed in NC for a decade before they opened the brewery in Asheville. They picked NC Bc it goes back and forth as their 3rd/4th largest state, sales wise and the #1 on the east coast.

I will agree that the quality seemed to go down when they started brewing everything we get out east but the speciality stuff in Asheville. I know they had to dump a lot of batches of their juicy haze ipa Bc they couldn’t get it dialed in at the new facility.

I kept hearing about Fat Tire from people who traveled west and how great it was. First place I saw it advertised was a bar in Minneapolis in 2008. Was with my wife, and three month old at the time, daughter. I did all I could to not go in and try one. I could not get it in Charlotte until a few years ago. It was in Raleigh well before it it Charlotte.

I prefer drinking the actual local brews, some are much better than others. My go to locally if on tap is an Old Mecklenburg Copper Ale, which is much better on tap, or directly from the brewery than in bottles in stores.

As much as I despise Charlotte itself, the one thing this place does have going for it is the amount of breweries producing really good beer.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
I kept hearing about Fat Tire from people who traveled west and how great it was. First place I saw it advertised was a bar in Minneapolis in 2008. Was with my wife, and three month old at the time, daughter. I did all I could to not go in and try one. I could not get it in Charlotte until a few years ago. It was in Raleigh well before it it Charlotte.

I prefer drinking the actual local brews, some are much better than others. My go to locally if on tap is an Old Mecklenburg Copper Ale, which is much better on tap, or directly from the brewery than in bottles in stores.

As much as I despise Charlotte itself, the one thing this place does have going for it is the amount of breweries producing really good beer.

I used to work for beer wholesalers in Raleigh and Charlotte (both of which had New belgium). It’s been in the entire state for close to a decade. It’s been in Harris teeter for at least 6 or 7 years now. Time flies I guess.

I don’t miss the Charlotte beer scene at all (or Charlotte in general). Some solid breweries but a lot of jealousy and infighting amongst the locals. OMB and Noda are the worst when it comes to this. I agree that most of the stuff is better fresh and on tap.

Resident Culture and Divine Barrel have a good thing going, swung by last weekend when I took my family to see my parents.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia

Yeah Asheville is like beer heaven. My wife and I went down a few months ago and really enjoyed ourselves.

While New Belgium was the best tour I've ever been on, the beer just doesn't hold up to some of the others in town. There is also something to be said about approachability, which is where they really make their money. Fat Tire is a great "first craft beer" because there is nothing extreme about it, its lower ABV, and its easy to drink. That beer pays their bills, and makes up about half of their production in the Asheville Brewery.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I currently make my home base in Lancaster County --- about halfway between Harrisburg and City of Lancaster. Moved back east in 2014 when my father's health began to decline and I decided I wanted our kids to be closer to family. I regularly travel into Philly for business and events like concerts. For example, that's where I'm going to see The Stones in June.

I have a train station in my town that I can take into Philly, or right into MSG without transferring. Generally speaking, if I can avoid driving, I do.

More than likely, my wife and I looking to move the family to Florida in the next year or so, so having Wawa there is a nice luxury.
My company has an office in Bethlehem and wawa is very popular there. I'm not a coffee drinker but when we visit that office wawa is on everyone's short list.

Reactions: jas

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
We have any Pinot Noir fans here?

Just got back from dinner with my boss and we shared a bottle of Cristom, an Oregon Pinot. Absolutely delicious.

Reactions: bl02

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
My company has an office in Bethlehem and wawa is very popular there. I'm not a coffee drinker but when we visit that office wawa is on everyone's short list.

I live/work in the area and as far as on the go coffee is concerned Wawa is definitely up there. I have one two minutes from my house so I get their coffee every morning. DD with two Turbo shots is stronger but much more bitter.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We have any Pinot Noir fans here?

Just got back from dinner with my boss and we shared a bottle of Cristom, an Oregon Pinot. Absolutely delicious.
Only red I can drink to its low Tannin content (I believe). Will ask my girlfriend if she's tried it she's the wine connoisseur lol.

Any 1942 don julio Anjeo fans? Just got a bottle wonder if any fans of it on here?

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
so after all my claims about how Guinness is overrated, my Boss gave me a case of Guinness as a Christmas present...

I might have to do a bit more research on the subject

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
so after all my claims about how Guinness is overrated, my Boss gave me a case of Guinness as a Christmas present...

I might have to do a bit more research on the subject
Guinness has honestly become my most-drank beer recently. I enjoy it any time of day, any time of year. Just delicious.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Got myself some Void of Light foreign stout from Gun Hill Brewing today. Heard good things. Gonna give it a go this weekend.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I like Booker's at that price.

Try Angel's Envy or Aberlour 12 in the $50 range.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad