OT: Watcha Drinkin'?: Part I

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Its a great idea, especially when the ABV gets up into the double digits.

They serve 8oz drafts of this kind of stuff in bars, why not package it as such?

I wish more breweries would do the same.
I don't. I'd get fat as f***.

The Bruery started doing smaller format bottles (375 ml instead of 750) for some of their stuff. I'm pretty sure I've put on 10lbs since then.

Reactions: ponzu4u

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
Its a great idea, especially when the ABV gets up into the double digits.

They serve 8oz drafts of this kind of stuff in bars, why not package it as such?

I wish more breweries would do the same.
I agree it’s a great idea but it really comes down to cost for some of the mid size and smaller breweries. You’ve got to order 8oz cans and it’s usually a multi-pallet minimum order. On top of that most canning lines are really only equipped for 12 and 16oz cans. The more expensive ones can be reset to different sizes but they’d be looking at a million+ dollar investment.

Reactions: ponzu4u

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I agree it’s a great idea but it really comes down to cost for some of the mid size and smaller breweries. You’ve got to order 8oz cans and it’s usually a multi-pallet minimum order. On top of that most canning lines are really only equipped for 12 and 16oz cans. The more expensive ones can be reset to different sizes but they’d be looking at a million+ dollar investment.

You're totally right.

It would definitely have to be done by an established craft brewer who makes enough high ABV products to justify the invesment, as well as have the marketing power to really sell it. In an industry that is heavily reliant on marketing (people don't want to admit it, but we make buying decisions based on things such as can/bottle design) I think it could be the kind of thing that just randomly gets super popular overnight. Once it gets popular, It will become more accessible to smaller breweries.

Breweries were making Sours, Gose's, and Berliner Weisse styles long before Dogfish came out with SeaQuench, but ever since then, the "session sour" beer trend has taken off because they are a recognized brand.

This beer hydrates you. No, really, it does

Thats not just some niche craft brew magazine, thats USA Today

After this article came out last year, dogfish head could not keep up with the demand. They recognized it, prepared better for this year, other breweries copied, and now you have a market full of low ABV sour beers.

I believe the same thing can happen with 8oz cans/bottles, if a brewery like Sierra/Stone/Dogfish/Lagunitas takes the initiative

Now I want a beer

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
You're totally right.

It would definitely have to be done by an established craft brewer who makes enough high ABV products to justify the invesment, as well as have the marketing power to really sell it. In an industry that is heavily reliant on marketing (people don't want to admit it, but we make buying decisions based on things such as can/bottle design) I think it could be the kind of thing that just randomly gets super popular overnight. Once it gets popular, It will become more accessible to smaller breweries.

Breweries were making Sours, Gose's, and Berliner Weisse styles long before Dogfish came out with SeaQuench, but ever since then, the "session sour" beer trend has taken off because they are a recognized brand.

This beer hydrates you. No, really, it does

Thats not just some niche craft brew magazine, thats USA Today

After this article came out last year, dogfish head could not keep up with the demand. They recognized it, prepared better for this year, other breweries copied, and now you have a market full of low ABV sour beers.

I believe the same thing can happen with 8oz cans/bottles, if a brewery like Sierra/Stone/Dogfish/Lagunitas takes the initiative

Now I want a beer
While those are really good points, it doesn’t necessarily make it any more accessible or cheaper for the mid-size or smaller breweries to do it. A couple of years after others buy in and look to upgrade equipment they can get it on the secondary market.

Sure if one the big guys does make the move, some of the others will follow. We saw that with 15pk cans. Hell, the transition to cans in general.

If you looked at the IRi data you could see the trends were moving towards more sessionable beers in general, not just sours. To the point of sours exploding it also has to do with wine and spirit drinkers getting into craft beer and it matching their pallets better. You’ll see a similar thing in the cider category as well.

It really will be interesting to see where things go over the next couple of years especially at a regional level. Looking at trends I’d bet craft lagers make a bigger comeback.

Reactions: Dr Chin Richalds

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I didn't wash out my water glass enough so I had lemon scented Sunlight brand dish soap water.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Added a new gin to my collection over the weekend in Finland:

33316506_1833434393617933_822412531250233344_n.jpg

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Tried Elysian Spacedust and Stone IPA for the first time recently. Both were Oct dates so still in the 90 day window and I wasn't impressed frankly.

I guess I got spoiled with Lagunitas Waldos and Troeggs Nimble Giant over the summer. I'll be sticking with 2 Roads 2 Ruin for my money. Flavor profile is similar to a watered down Waldos, but stonger than most singles.

In my cupboard I'm hosting Ardbeg 10, Compass Box Peat Monster, and I picked up a Laphroaig 10 because is was on sale for $41. I prefer the first 2, but can't go wrong with $41 Laphroaig.

Should get me through the holidays.
May pick up either Buffalo Trace or Rare Eagle for when I have company, I know the Islays are an aquire taste.

Anyone wanna recommend me the Buffalo or Eagle if I had to chose 1?

Which one has more depth and character. Bite is fine, I'd rather add a drop of water to a fine liquor rather than a smoother out of the bottle brand and 1 or 2 flavor notes.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Sometimes I make apple pie (or a variant peach pie) from cider, apple juice, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, a bit of vanilla and everclear. It goes well with beers/ales of all kinds. I agree that mellowing out in the middle of watching an ice hockey debacle is better than just sitting there sober and getting more and more pissed off---that is if you don't fall into that sub-category of angry drunks.

I'm an IPA guy but Stone is not one of my favorites either. I'll drink it but......anyway Troegs is a very good brewery.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I'm a whiskey guy but I just spent a week drinking Ron del Barrilito and for my money it's the best value sipping rum.

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Sometimes I make apple pie (or a variant peach pie) from cider, apple juice, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, a bit of vanilla and everclear. It goes well with beers/ales of all kinds. I agree that mellowing out in the middle of watching an ice hockey debacle is better than just sitting there sober and getting more and more pissed off---that is if you don't fall into that sub-category of angry drunks.

I'm an IPA guy but Stone is not one of my favorites either. I'll drink it but......anyway Troegs is a very good brewery.
If you get the chance, go to the brewery. The food is amazing, and its right next to Hershey Park, and the arena that the Bears play in.

I ran a Troegs 5k in the area surrounding the brewery back in October and they gave out 2 beers to all the runners afterwards.

I've been there like 6 times, and would gladly go again.

Reactions: eco's bones

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
wow. im a stones guy for sure. stones on draft is my go to drink at my local hangout here in e syr.

theres a place near syracuse, west of me actually in auburn ny with a terrific ipa. prison city mass riot is excellent. the new "control for smilers" ipa is killer too. this place knows beer.

omegang nirvana is solid too. prob my favorite ny ipa hands down.

i also like bells two hearted from michigan.

had an ipa at the game sunday hoptical illusion. made in patchague. pretty good.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
wow. im a stones guy for sure. stones on draft is my go to drink at my local hangout here in e syr.

theres a place near syracuse, west of me actually in auburn ny with a terrific ipa. prison city mass riot is excellent. the new "control for smilers" ipa is killer too. this place knows beer.

had an ipa at the game sunday hoptical illusion. made in patchague. pretty good.

Is it Ommegang or Omegan?. Whatever--I agree--it is a very good one. I've had Two Hearted and hoptical illusion. There are so many options these days it's impossible to keep up. I liked Horseheads Brewery a lot but they packed up and left for Florida.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If you get the chance, go to the brewery. The food is amazing, and its right next to Hershey Park, and the arena that the Bears play in.

I ran a Troegs 5k in the area surrounding the brewery back in October and they gave out 2 beers to all the runners afterwards.

I've been there like 6 times, and would gladly go again.

My son went to Lebanon Valley College which is about 10-15 miles from Hershey so we use to be in that area a lot and that's how I first ran into Troegs. If I get back there I will check it out.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
A bit disappointed with this year's New Belgium holiday 12pk.

Last year they had a Cellar Sour that tasted like Black Cherry soda as well as a Triple that had banana bread notes.

This year it's just different shades of run of the mill styles.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Tried Elysian Spacedust and Stone IPA for the first time recently. Both were Oct dates so still in the 90 day window and I wasn't impressed frankly.

I guess I got spoiled with Lagunitas Waldos and Troeggs Nimble Giant over the summer. I'll be sticking with 2 Roads 2 Ruin for my money. Flavor profile is similar to a watered down Waldos, but stonger than most singles.

In my cupboard I'm hosting Ardbeg 10, Compass Box Peat Monster, and I picked up a Laphroaig 10 because is was on sale for $41. I prefer the first 2, but can't go wrong with $41 Laphroaig.

Should get me through the holidays.
May pick up either Buffalo Trace or Raread Eagle for when I have company, I know the Islays are an aquire taste.

Anyone wanna recommend me the Buffalo or Eagle if I had to chose 1?

Which one has more depth and character. Bite is fine, I'd rather add a drop of water to a fine liquor rather than a smoother out of the bottle brand and 1 or 2 flavor notes.

My buddy loves Elysian Spacedust. I think it is okay. I like the Stone IPA much better. Lagunitas... eh. Their Lagunitas Sucks Ale last year was one of the worst beers I have ever consumed so I am pretty turned off by them.

I'd say Buffalo Trace if you are picking between the two.

I'm a whiskey guy but I just spent a week drinking Ron del Barrilito and for my money it's the best value sipping rum.

I have no rum in my house at the moment. I suppose I should get some.

I wish I could take Ommegang Rare Vos and inject it straight into my blood stream.

Is it Ommegang or Omegan?. Whatever--I agree--it is a very good one. I've had Two Hearted and hoptical illusion. There are so many options these days it's impossible to keep up. I liked Horseheads Brewery a lot but they packed up and left for Florida.

Ommegang. They are such a great brewery.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Yeah it's obviously much much better in Irealnd, but you can get some pints in the states.

It's a beer that varies greatly in taste/quality based on the place serving it. Temperature, pour, frequency of kegs changing make all the difference.

I've found a few Irish bars in the bronx/white plains area over the years that pour a great pint. But I sure as hell experience a lot of horrible ones along the way.

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Unpopular Opinion:

Most North American craft stouts are better than Guinness. Like 90%

edit: the American version of Guinness. I cannot speak for what is served in Ireland

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm pretty firmly entrenched in the lager and red ales category, but I'm also not a huge beer guy. I drink it socially, but it's not something I particularly seek out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad