OT: Washington Redskins 2019 Season Thread Vol 7: The Offseason/Bruce Allen Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
They are so going to sign Olson. I just hope it’s not a 10m/yr contract. Team simply doesn’t need an old injury prone guy taking up that much space. 6m or so? Sure. Ok.

NOT more.

I don’t think it’s a garuntee. Olsen should want to end his career with a contender, the Skins are not, and he will have contending suitors.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Not only did the team with the better QB win this game, but they’ll be better overall for the next 10+ years as well. At the end of the day the Monikers need to take care of QB first and foremost. It’s all good if they go Young, but there has to be a plan surrounding quarterback. Period.
So I take it that you don’t think Haskins is the answer?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t think it’s a garuntee. Olsen should want to end his career with a contender, the Skins are not, and he will have contending suitors.

would make more sense if he wanted a coaching career....Rivera would be a natural path to that.

Offers must be slim if he wants to end it here....

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
So I take it that you don’t think Haskins is the answer?

Not really. But what do I know? I’m not in the locker room, or at practice, or in the meetings. I’m not analyzing the film through the lens of an NFL professional.

If they really think he has top-10-in-the-NFL QB upside then they should push in their chips and build a team around him. If not, they need to start thinking about upgrading him immediately and with extreme prejudice. There is absolutely no need to build a franchise and a culture around a guy you don’t have the utmost confidence in. No matter what they must have a Plan B solidly in place. Even if they have a good feeling about Haskins, they might be wrong.

The worst thing they can do is half-heartedly support Haskins and waste years developing him and “trying him on for size”. They need to quickly come to some conclusions about him and those conclusions should inform the plan for improving the team both in the short and long term.

Without a QB no plan will work. It’s priority number one. If they’re too dumb to figure that out they’ll be the Deadskins forever.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not really. But what do I know? I’m not in the locker room, or at practice, or in the meetings. I’m not analyzing the film through the lens of an NFL professional.

If they really think he has top-10-in-the-NFL QB upside then they should push in their chips and build a team around him. If not, they need to start thinking about upgrading him immediately and with extreme prejudice. There is absolutely no need to build a franchise and a culture around a guy you don’t have the utmost confidence in. No matter what they must have a Plan B solidly in place. Even if they have a good feeling about Haskins, they might be wrong.

The worst thing they can do is half-heartedly support Haskins and waste years developing him and “trying him on for size”. They need to quickly come to some conclusions about him and those conclusions should inform the plan for improving the team both in the short and long term.

Without a QB no plan will work. It’s priority number one. If they’re too dumb to figure that out they’ll be the Deadskins forever.

If you’re Rivera isn't the responsible thing to do is at least try with Haskins for next season?

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
If you’re Rivera isn't the responsible thing to do is at least try with Haskins for next season?

The responsible thing is to give him an honest “draft grade” with the benefit of a year of NFL film and the vetting of everyone who dealt with him in year 1. If the grade is high, build around him. If the grade is low, have a more aggressive Plan B, or actively look to upgrade him with all means at their disposal.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The responsible thing is to give him an honest “draft grade” with the benefit of a year of NFL film and the vetting of everyone who dealt with him in year 1. If the grade is high, build around him. If the grade is low, have a more aggressive Plan B, or actively look to upgrade him with all means at their disposal.

I don’t think he would have taken the job if he hadn’t already looked as Haskin’s tape and talked to some people and seen that he had some things to work with at least....

after all, he’s got less than half a season of real play (starts) of that “year of NFL film” you mention Rivera evaluating.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If Haskins is a bust things will take care of it self and we will be in the run to tank for Trevor

The issue there is even if Haskins stinks I genuinely don't think they'll be bad enough to be a bottom two or three team this year. I just can't see another 2-3 win season with Rivera and Del Rio on board and the talent they have on defense.

Worst case scenario for next season is Haskins stinks but their record is somewhere between 5-11 and 7-9 and they draft somewhere between 9-15.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
The issue there is even if Haskins stinks I genuinely don't think they'll be bad enough to be a bottom two or three team this year. I just can't see another 2-3 win season with Rivera and Del Rio on board and the talent they have on defense.

Worst case scenario for next season is Haskins stinks but their record is somewhere between 5-11 and 7-9 and they draft somewhere between 9-15.

That’s exactly why if you are picking N2OA and you don’t love your QB situation, you have to consider using that leverage to land your guy.

Going 1-15 or 2-14 is almost as hard as winning the Super Bowl. Miami actively tried to tank and wound up with #5.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

Well Vegas thinks differently, the day after the Super Bowl we have the worst odds for next season at 100-1 tied with the dolphins and Bengals. And yes I took a small bet on the skins future.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That’s exactly why if you are picking N2OA and you don’t love your QB situation, you have to consider using that leverage to land your guy.

Going 1-15 or 2-14 is almost as hard as winning the Super Bowl. Miami actively tried to tank and wound up with #5.

Meh, they signed Fitzmagic and played him over Rosen when it was clear Rosen was their ticket to (un)glory.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Meh, they signed Fitzmagic and played him over Rosen when it was clear Rosen was their ticket to (un)glory.

And traded their starting LT, RB and S...and didn’t sign any FAs of note. They even said they weren’t necessarily trying to win coming into the season. All I’m saying is there’s never a guarantee that you’ll pick in top-3, let alone N1OA. There’s a solid chance that Haskins will prove to be average or worse and the Monikers won’t have a super high pick in next year’s draft. They need to have a plan for that and N2OA might be the biggest “get out of jail free” card they’ll have for some time.

Reactions: Hivemind

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
As much as I would prefer the Skins trade back they are staying put and taking Young. The Bosa effect is real and passing on Young is not happening with a defense minded coach like Rivera in charge.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

but what if you don’t love the options at QB after 1? Just because you have #2 doesn’t mean the draftee is worth using it on.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
As much as I would prefer the Skins trade back they are staying put and taking Young. The Bosa effect is real and passing on Young is not happening with a defense minded coach like Rivera in charge.

he’s proven he can successfully groom defensive superstars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad