OT: Washington Redskins 2019 Season Thread Vol 7: The Offseason/Bruce Allen Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think @Ridley Simon had a similar (or the exact same) idea but if they trade back to 5 they better get all three of Miami's first round picks this year. Trading down three spots and giving up the best prospect in the draft, especially when that prospect could end up in your division, will require a huge payment. If they do trade back they could hopefully send 5 and 26 to Detroit for 3, so they'd still get Young and also pick up another first along the way.
I had a version of it first, and then @WetHog had something closer to this version.

I wanted Miami to move to 3, and then 2.

Hog had us moving down to 5, then back up to 3.

we got to the same place, but different routes. Same place = Burrow then Tua then Young @ 3 for Skins + extra draft capital from Miami.

i was fearful of ever actually moving off Young. Going to 5 does that. Hence my thinking. Hog’s may be the easier route, but more harrowing as you actually move away from Young and then have to go get him.

Reactions: LesDiablesRouges

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Conflicted about Rivera's comments regarding winning in the short term vs the possibility of a Riverboat Ron move. Gonna be interesting draft.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Imagine getting Chase Young and another first round pick, and getting Trent back (hopefully).

Some targets in the 18 range at positions of need could be Grant Delpit (S, LSU), CJ Henderson (CB, Florida), Henry Ruggs III (WR, Alabama), Tee Higgins (WR, Clemson), Xavier McKinney (S, Alabama), or Cole Kmet (TE, Notre Dame).

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
If they end up getting 18 (huge IF), then I’d continue trading down to add more and more picks. They need OL, TE, WR. Those typically are rounds 2 and 3.

they obviously need CB as well, but I think they will fill that in FA w Bradberry. Could use another S, but that could also be an FA acquisition. Resign Scherff, Flowers, and bring Trent back. Draft all offense after Young.

perfect world is Young, and then working the deals to get that extra 1st — which then turns in to 2 2nds and a 3rd (or if too greedy, a 2nd and 2 3rds. Along with their own 3rd. They’d have 4 picks in 2nd and 3rd round to draft a TE, WR, and 2 more OL.

Gives Haskins (or Smith) some more weapons, and makes the D pretty scary for Captain Jack to use.

Reactions: Corby78

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Not sure why Detroit would pass on Young if he’s there at 3. If we do trade with Miami it’s far more likely we don’t get Young and have N5OA +++.

Man, heads will explode if that’s the case.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure why Detroit would pass on Young if he’s there at 3. If we do trade with Miami it’s far more likely we don’t get Young and have N5OA +++.

Okudah or Simmons plus 18 and 26 wouldn’t be the end of the world. Parlay those picks into a later 1st and a 2nd or something like that.

Okudah is supposed to be a total shut down corner. We haven’t really had one since Darrell. (Champ wasn’t here long enough)

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Doubtful Detroit would pass on Young, but if they have someone else they love, the Giants moving from 4 to 3 to ensure they get Young would be the most embarrassing thievery of a move and would cement in my mind that the Redskins have no idea what they are doing.

All these magical combinations of moving down, still getting Young, but adding extra first round picks, are really bordering on delusional. We can draft Young, or we can trade down and land more mediocre players, but we can't do both.

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
The guy reporting us trading with Miami isn't legit. Hell there hasn't even been a combine yet. Teams havent even met with players yet. They arent working on a trade lol

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
The guy reporting us trading with Miami isn't legit. Hell there hasn't even been a combine yet. Teams havent even met with players yet. They arent working on a trade lol

not saying your wrong but there are lots of levels of talks. Working on a trade is not the same as garnering interests.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Apparently Rivera and JDR love Young. Pair that with him being the best player in the draft and one of the best prospects to come out recently, on top of being from the area, it’s hard to see Washington not drafting him.

Reactions: Praetorian Caps

Praetorian Caps

May 15, 2018
Drafting Young is the best plan. I'd rather take my chances with one defensive stud who has the highest chance of reaching his potential, netting a superstar when if comes tp fruition, than a bunch of jags. The Skins don't have to fix the entire roster in one offseason. Start by shoring up one of the biggest weaknesses on the team ie the defense.

Reactions: max21

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I doubt RR will change his stripes but there might be pressure from above to focus more on offense since the NFL is a copycat league and the Chefs just won the SB with a statistically puzzling defense. Usually you expect the top defensive and offensive teams to filter into the playoffs.

The Chefs didn't do anything exceptionally well. They gave up a lot of yards but they didn't give up a lot of points, on average. It may surprise you to learn that their defense gave up fewer points per game than the 49ers (but not by much) and was 7th in the league in that category.

Bend but don't break seems to be enough if you have a high powered offense. If you don't, and you need to ground and pound, you'd better beef up on D.

What identity will the Skins offense have?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Im pretty sure the skins traded for RG3 before the combine

I wasn't sure about this so I looked it up, no the Skins announced the trade for RG3 on the first day of the league year, March 9. The Combine was in mid February. RG3 aced the combine which made the #2 pick more valuable for the Rams.

Some funny, interesting things I had purely forgotten about from that whole trade scenario. First, the Skins were competing with the Browns to trade into #2, the Browns reportedly also offered three first round picks but the Rams took the Redskins offer instead. The Browns ended up trading up from 4 to 3 and selected Alabama RB Trent Richardson, who was a pretty big bust for them. The funny thing was, the Browns were trying to trade up for RG3, because they weren't satisfied with their starter, who was Colt McCoy at the time... doh!

Bruce Allen also was quoted about the big price "We understand it was a heavy price but when you bought your home you probably wanted to pay a little less too," Washington general manager Bruce Allen said Saturday. "But you like your home once you live in it."

Its also fun to remember how badly Mike Shanahan had whiffed on QBs in his own right in DC.

The bold move demonstrates how badly the Redskins are in need of a franchise quarterback after two decades of struggles. Coach Mike Shanahan already has whiffed on three in his two seasons in Washington, with Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman and John Beck combining to produce an 11-21 record.

"It's been tough and I feel for our fans and in many times we haven't been successful and we're trying to get it right," Allen said, "and I think we had a big step to get it right."

Finally, inclusive of all this, the Redskins were actively trying to land all time free agent QB Peyton Manning. If I'm not mistaken, he actually declined to come interview with the Skins, no? The stupid thing was, he left the Colts, who immediately drafted Luck, who was clearly a franchise QB and HOF in waiting until injuries and early retirement derailed him.

One last fun fact from that draft... Matt Kalil went 4th overall with Clevelands original pick. He too is now out of the league, the top four picks all gone at one point although RG3 is still technically a backup. Kalil made at least one pro bowl, as a replacement for, get this, Redskins Trent Williams, who was injured during a fight in a nightclub in Honolulu.

Its so easy for me to forget just exactly how much of a shit show this franchise has been for so long.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I’m still solidly in the maneuver to get 3OA behind Cincinnati and Miami camp. I think it’s doable. Very much so.

I think Miami’s desperation level will only rise as we get closer to the draft. The first domino is to see them make a deal w Det to move to 3OA. It would cost one of their other firsts and a later round pick. That would set up us to take their other first for them to move to 2 to seal their deal w Tua.

edit — has there ever been a 3 team draft picks deal? Just loop in Detroit and make it all happen at once?

Miami to 2, Wash to 3, Det to 5, with the 18 coming to us and the 26 and a 2nd/3rd to Detroit?

Reactions: Corby78

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If anything Miami comes directly at us....no way I see this massive shuffle of slots working out for us lol.....

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Stay at 2. Young is too good. Would love extra high draft picks, but, that kind of shuffle just doesn’t seem realistic. We aren’t drafting Tua and Miami probably knows that. Detroit probably isn’t in on him, but, is Miami that worried Vegas - lol - would move into the top-five to snag him??

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Stay at 2. Young is too good. Would love extra high draft picks, but, that kind of shuffle just doesn’t seem realistic. We aren’t drafting Tua and Miami probably knows that. Detroit probably isn’t in on him, but, is Miami that worried Vegas - lol - would move into the top-five to snag him??

LA Chargers at 6
Carolina Panthers at 7
LV Raiders at 12
Indianapolis Colts at 13
TB Buccaneers at 15
Denver Broncos at 16

those are the only real suspects to move up. LV obv has the ammo.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
What if...

Panthers trade Cam Newton, the 7th OA, and more picks to the Skins for salary dump and the #2...

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
What if...

Panthers trade Cam Newton, the 7th OA, and more picks to the Skins for salary dump and the #2...
With how much of a hard-on RR has for getting the band back together? It wouldn’t shock me. Not even a little bit.

but that’s my point. Miami cannot think that sitting there at 5, they have Tua locked up. They just don’t. At all.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
What if...

No chance so long as Alex Smith is on the roster. The Skins will take a huge cap hit if they get rid of Smith before 2021. If I read things right on sportrac it’s a 32 mil cap hit before the 2021 league year and a 10.8 mil cap hit after 2021 starts.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
March 15th Dallas comes to town. Only reason I can think of to attend an XFL game would be to see Dallas vs Wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad