OT: Washington Redskins 2019 Season Thread Vol 7: The Offseason/Bruce Allen Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Dunbar is our best DB. Don’t think it’s a great idea to just lose him for no reason. At the same time he’s got to play along with the new regime while they suss out the roster. So, if he’s taking the Silverback route they’ll probably feel forced to make an example out of him.

Hopefully cooler heads prevail.

Reactions: max21

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Don’t be dense. Our QBs have sucked for two entire generations. The salary cap is the least of our worries when it comes to quarterback.

We desperately need a QB you can win games with and at least Prescott has proven he can fit the bill. I’m not necessarily arguing that he’s the guy to go after but all options should be explored.

Sorry I don’t see it. If we are talking about Wilson, Rodgers, Brees, QBs of that stature then sure. Dark isn’t in that category.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I don’t want Dak. He’s Kirk to me. He wants more money than he’s worth. Stick w the kid.

Don't worry its not happening. Well it cant happen from a cap stand point but it won't happen so long as Rivera is as competent as we all assume he is. If a new head coach is taking over an under achieving team that is prime for a playoff run with someone new in charge then yeah drop 30-40 mil a year on a free agent QB. But when a new HC needs to evaluate the roster of a bad team, that also has a 2nd year 1st round QB on the roster, signing a 30-40 mil a year cast of QB is not a wise decision.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
OTOH Haskins is not guaranteed to start and the team has said so. He has to earn the job. His status last year was mostly a battlefield promotion.

I would not rule out a QB move, or even Smith starting to begin the year if healthy.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
OTOH Haskins is not guaranteed to start and the team has said so. He has to earn the job. His status last year was mostly a battlefield promotion.

I would not rule out a QB move, or even Smith starting to begin the year if healthy.

Sure a QB move is necessary. Hask is the only QB on the roster cleared to play right now. But a move for a 30-40 mil a year QB? I’d say the odds of that happening are long.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Sure a QB move is necessary. Hask is the only QB on the roster cleared to play right now. But a move for a 30-40 mil a year QB? I’d say the odds of that happening are long.

I'd say they're nil for DP.

I'm thinking more about Newton or Rivers. Seems like a fairly hefty QB market for draft and FA this year. Not a good time to be sitting on the fence about your 2nd year QB.

Smith is the elephant in the room.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I'd say they're nil for DP.

I'm thinking more about Newton or Rivers. Seems like a fairly hefty QB market for draft and FA this year. Not a good time to be sitting on the fence about your 2nd year QB.

Smith is the elephant in the room.

Smith is the elephant in the room. His cap hit this year restricts options in the QB market. Keenum or a QB on his level would be the only option salary cap wise.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Smith is the elephant in the room. His cap hit this year restricts options in the QB market. Keenum or a QB on his level would be the only option salary cap wise.

Dude. They’re gonna have 60-90 million dollars in space. Stop acting like they’re cap strapped.

If they can simply establish a winning/competing/improving culture it’s a gigantic step in the right direction.

All options should be on the table with the idea of pulling out of the 30+ year malaise and having a functional organization. Once they clear that seemingly impossible hurdle we can worry about the Super Bowl and nickels and dimes.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Dude. They’re gonna have 60-90 million dollars in space. Stop acting like they’re cap strapped.

Brah, 60-90 mil in cap space according to who? All the places I just checked say 38 mil. And then cutting or trading players like Norman, Kerrigan, etc... gets to around 50 mil.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Isn't there also like 12M in insurance relief if Smith can't play? I heard that on the radio last week so no other source.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
On Dunbar, I get and support his stance of not taking the field without guaranteed money because one misstep or one bad collision and his career is done. I do not get demanding to be traded because he hasn't talked to the new coaches yet. Seems childish, especially considering this organization allowed him to be a professional football player.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Isn't there also like 12M in insurance relief if Smith can't play? I heard that on the radio last week so no other source.

From an old article but its detailed and talks about the 12 mil insurance policy.

There is some relief that would come the Redskins way if Smith can not play. Per JI Halsell, the Redskins did take out a $12 million insurance policy on Smith when they signed the contract. If Smith is unable to complete his contract due to the injury the $12 million will be paid to Washington. This reimbursement is going to give Washington salary cap relief but in my experience there is usually a delay in getting those cap credits meaning they usually come in future years so I don’t expect the $12 million to offset anything significant in 2019.

The Redskins Options with Alex Smith | Over the Cap

We will see what happens. Everything Smith has said or done lately suggests he plans to play again. In 2020? Way to early to say. The Skins will need another QB option regardless I just hope they don't blow over 10 mil a year on that QB option.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
From an old article but its detailed and talks about the 12 mil insurance policy.

The Redskins Options with Alex Smith | Over the Cap

We will see what happens. Everything Smith has said or done lately suggests he plans to play again. In 2020? Way to early to say. The Skins will need another QB option regardless I just hope they don't blow over 10 mil a year on that QB option.

Get Fitzmagic in a trade with Miami. He's 8M cap hit and balls to the wall. They (MIA) could even release him if they trade up and get another QB, so he'd essentially be a throw in.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So I would imagine the first 3 moves are easy and should/would happen. That takes them to 75m in space.

I’d personally prefer the last 2 don’t happen.

While Kerrigan has certainly seemed a half step slower, the team needs and “elder statesman lead by example” type for Captain Jack to count on in the room. His Sal cap slot is way too high, but with all the room they have, it’s ok. Maybe they can restructure his deal to open up another 5m to take us to 80m

While I’m not sure I like Williams the person, I obv like Williams the player. We don’t need massive turnover right now on the line. Try your best to bring Silverback into the building and mend the fences. I’d also like to see a restructuring done that extends him a few more years but that also lowers the cap hit. Let’s say by 3m or so.

That leaves 85m to play with. Lots of coin.
Resign Scherff (10m)
Resign Flowers (5m)
Sign Bradberry (15m)
Sign a top S (10m)
Sign a top TE (10m)

That’s 50m gone— but would plug 3 holes (CB, S, TE) and keep a good (when healthy) O-line in tact.

use the remaining 50m to add depth at whatever values you can get. OL, DB, LB, TE. Say 6-8 more players at 4m each on average.

draft Young (hopefully by maneuvering the draft to add some more picks in round 1 or 2/3), and then add BPS everywhere else with an eye to TE, DB, and OL

let Smith try and beat Haskins for QB #1. Add another kid in the draft for practice squad (Unless Smith is Def OUT, then add a vet for 5m and one less guy somewhere else with the 35m left).

Could easily be an 8-8 team or better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad