Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Well it looks like those who want a new starting QB will get their wish. Unless we actually go into 2021 with Heiney, Allen and the guy who Heiney dropped out of college to jump over the depth chart for... oh yeah Montez?

Draft, trade or UFA, where will our next QB come from?

I'm on the Mac Jones train myself. I think if you surround him with a respectable supporting cast, he'll be terrific.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
So it was more about the money and less about actually trying to win a championship. Not that the Cardinals aren’t good, I just don’t think adding JJ makes them a championship contender

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
So it was more about the money and less about actually trying to win a championship. Not that the Cardinals aren’t good, I just don’t think adding JJ makes them a championship contender
Hopkins in ARI is said by some to be a factor. And a lot of people go to the desert to retire. ;)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

little unfair unless it comes out that this was the top $ offer.....that aside, Arizona has a promising young QB and can be a sweet spot to live......not a bad idea to try and catch a team on the rise...

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
little unfair unless it comes out that this was the top $ offer.....that aside, Arizona has a promising young QB and can be a sweet spot to live......not a bad idea to try and catch a team on the rise...
I’d wager that was the top money offer. $23 million guaranteed for a guy who is on the down swing of his career and has had multiple injury issues doesn’t seem like a smart investment.

I get that Kyler has some upside. I just don’t see that team being a true Super Bowl contender IMO.

Reactions: max21

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
AZ are an 8-8 team on the way up with a promising young QB. HOU are a 4-12 team on the way down with a disgruntled star QB.

I'd make that move every day of the week.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
AZ are an 8-8 team on the way up with a promising young QB. HOU are a 4-12 team on the way down with a disgruntled star QB.

I'd make that move every day of the week.
It’s not about Houston though. It’s about Arizona versus the other teams reportedly involved like Buffalo and Cleveland who both made the playoffs. Plus, the Cardinals are in a tough division. LA now has Stafford, San Francisco will be at full strength and the Seahawks are always in the mix (unless Russ forces his way out before the season starts)

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It’s not about Houston though. It’s about Arizona versus the other teams reportedly involved like Buffalo and Cleveland who both made the playoffs. Plus, the Cardinals are in a tough division. LA now has Stafford, San Francisco will be at full strength and the Seahawks are always in the mix (unless Russ forces his way out before the season starts)

I don't think the divisional strengths are a factor. They're close enough. Cleveland is in the toughest division in the NFL. Dolphins are getting tougher and the Pats will surely challenge again.

And would you want to live in Cleveland? Or Buffalo? Vs AZ?

Given a toss up, I wouldn't.

SF at full strength is not world-beating, imo. Good but not great. I'm not sold on Jimmy G. And Stafford in LA is an unknown, while SEA seem to be vulnerable.

If he went to team like the Bungles or Jags and claimed it was about winning then yeah, we could question that. But AZ is as good a bet as any other in March.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think the divisional strengths are a factor. They're close enough. Cleveland is in the toughest division in the NFL. Dolphins are getting tougher and the Pats will surely challenge again.

And would you want to live in Cleveland? Or Buffalo? Vs AZ?

Given a toss up, I wouldn't.

SF at full strength is not world-beating, imo. Good but not great. I'm not sold on Jimmy G. And Stafford in LA is an unknown, while SEA seem to be vulnerable.

If he went to team like the Bungles or Jags and claimed it was about winning then yeah, we could question that. But AZ is as good a bet as any other in March.

zero chance....

(not to you).....And who says this guy isn’t about winning if he doesn’t go to one of the last teams left in the playoffs, but instead a team/city who may be a better fit for him?

he doesn’t have to Merc himself to someone to prove he wants to win IMO.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I think both of you are overvaluing the Cardinals quite a bit. The team went 8-8 and they have Cliff Kingsberry as their HC. He’s easily the worst coach in that division and probably in the bottom tier of HCs in the NFL. I get the living aspect of it but clearly this is about money. His other reported final teams were Tennessee, Green Bay, Buffalo and Cleveland. I’d say all have equal if not better constructed teams than Arizona does.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Tennessee is the only one of those I’d even remotely consider going to/living.....

So Arizona, lake life, absurd cost of living, absurd outdoor life/golfing ecosystem.....sold.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Think AZ is probably a happy medium between quality of life and competitive football. They're certainly not the best team he could have joined and probably not even the team that offered him the most money but they check a lot of boxes. There is some talent in AZ and they could make noise but I also think they have the worst coach in the division by a large margin and it's very possible the Cardinals finish last next year if San Francisco gets a QB and isn't decimated by injuries again. Good for him getting out of Houston though.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
You guys are all overthinking it... his wife told him "I like Arizona". Done.
As good a reason as any.

ARI appear to be on the up swing, they have some good players on defense and I believe the tax situation in ARI is comparable to Florida.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
It was rumored to be a 5th. I believe talks cooled off because Mariota’s contract turned out to be pretty unfriendly — clauses and bonuses would have put it over $22M for next year, if I recall correctly.

per that link: The Raiders quarterback is due a base salary of $10.6 million in 2021, all of which is non-guaranteed, but this figure could rise greatly due to incentives. Mariota will also earn $625,000 for each game he features significantly, maxing out at $7.5 million, according to Jason Fitzgerald of Over The Cap. The former first-round pick also has escalators in his deal for wins and playoff appearances.

So ~$18M if he just plays all 16 games. That's not great value for MM at all. I think he needs to be more of a show me deal than that.

Kudos for Mayhew and Crew for not just jumping at the first opportunity.

Reactions: ynotcaps

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
per that link: The Raiders quarterback is due a base salary of $10.6 million in 2021, all of which is non-guaranteed, but this figure could rise greatly due to incentives. Mariota will also earn $625,000 for each game he features significantly, maxing out at $7.5 million, according to Jason Fitzgerald of Over The Cap. The former first-round pick also has escalators in his deal for wins and playoff appearances.

So ~$18M if he just plays all 16 games. That's not great value for MM at all. I think he needs to be more of a show me deal than that.

Kudos for Mayhew and Crew for not just jumping at the first opportunity.
With that cap hit do the Raiders cut him?

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Really hope we don’t overpay for a receiver via free agency. Robinson or Golladay are the hot names but will come with a huge price tag. I’d rather go after the Corey Davis or Marvin jones tier of receivers. Curtis Samuel also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad