OT: Washington Football Team 2021 Offseason Thread 2: Roster Roulette

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Plenty are arguing against paying a hefty price.....some even seem content waiting another year to draft a guy....or to see what’s there next year...

Me, I just want the guy this year.

tick tock...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
who is arguing against this? I’d love to hear any single one poster that is?

or will it be “I don’t want to name names!” (Which means there aren’t any)

ps....that part in parentheses should have read get the guy, not necessarily massively overpay...

But....any chance can you just ask the question next time, or do you always have to add the dickish part at the end?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The NFL is a passing league now. In the last 30 years just about every winning SB QB has been elite. Exceptions would include Rypien, Dilfer, Johnson, Flacco, and Foles. About 17% exception rate.

But it might be a chicken/egg argument for all we know. Are these teams winning SBs because of the QB, or does having an elite QB cause a franchise to build around him more? Does having "the guy" cause the whole team to play better? Does he become better as a player due to the team/coach?

Consider also, the list of LOSING SB teams is much more littered with one-hit wonders and journeymen. About 50%.

So you can get to the big game with a placeholder who finds lightning in a bottle for a season, but don't bet on him hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.

Just looking at the list makes me think going big on QB is a must. But almost all the big names that won did so with the team that drafted them. So trading or FA may not be as effective as drafting. If the past data means shit.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The NFL is a passing league now. In the last 30 years just about every winning SB QB has been elite. Exceptions would include Rypien, Dilfer, Johnson, Flacco, and Foles. About 17% exception rate.

But it might be a chicken/egg argument for all we know. Are these teams winning SBs because of the QB, or does having an elite QB cause a franchise to build around him more? Does having "the guy" cause the whole team to play better? Does he become better as a player due to the team/coach?

Consider also, the list of LOSING SB teams is much more littered with one-hit wonders and journeymen. About 50%.

So you can get to the big game with a placeholder who finds lightning in a bottle for a season, but don't bet on him hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.

Just looking at the list makes me think going big on QB is a must. But almost all the big names that won did so with the team that drafted them. So trading or FA may not be as effective as drafting. If the past data means shit.

but isn’t that because only fools let great starters go after drafting them?

franchise QBs don’t move often.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I like Mac Jones as well. However, something tells me he's going top 10, especially after Matt Rhule got to watch him up close. As for who they chose at 19, I'm fine with the best player available approach. If it's a corner, cool. If it's a wide receiver, cool. If it's a linebacker, cool. But I think a quarterback is out in the first. I fully expect that they're going to stick with the current quarterhacks under contract.

I'm starting to come around on Mac Jones. Kinda reminds me of the Deshaun Watson situation where all these other QBs are seen with higher upside and a big name QB from a top ranked school with a championship gets taken later.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
but isn’t that because only fools let great starters go after drafting them?

franchise QBs don’t move often.

Yes but the point is if you want the best historical chance of WINNING the SB you need to draft a stud. Many teams draft great QBs and go nowhere, but if you at least want to be in the mix to win the big one you have to try.

If you want an outside chance of making a SB, and even more remote chance of winning one, you can try something else. Plenty of teams do this and simply spin out. Or, maybe even worse, they put a band aid on the problem and never finish low enough to draft that stud QB.

For whatever that's worth.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Well, draft a stud, or otherwise acquire one that wouldn’t normally (historically) be available.

will be interesting to see over there next 10 years or more, will we see more QBs trying to control their own destiny....

I think the players are waking up and becoming more emboldened.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I've obviously been a proponent of paying a huge price to get your guy but I think there is a worse thing they can do than doing nothing and that's overpaying for the wrong guy just because they feel they have to do something. That'll set them much further back than doing nothing.

And yes, of course if Fields is there you take him at 19. You trip over yourself sprinting to the podium to take Fields or Lance at 19.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Overpaying for the wrong guy is certainly more damaging than treading water....but I also wouldn’t be afraid to do it just because of cost, if you believe in the guy.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We've seen some shit contracts unloaded at *tolerable* return value, though. Maybe fear of a bad contract for the QB position is overblown.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

If the NFL is a passing league now, then it only stands to reason that the Washington Football Team should take Jones if he's available at 19, especially when you consider that he orchestrated the nation's top passing attack in Alabama. I know, he had Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle to throw to, but fact is, he really only had Smith because Waddle was hurt with the broken ankle and only played in six games the entire year, so that kind of doesn't hold water.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We've seen some shit contracts unloaded at *tolerable* return value, though. Maybe fear of a bad contract for the QB position is overblown.

Those contracts were nicely leveled off by the dead cap hit those trading teams had to absorb....making them more palatable for sure...same would occur for Watson....to the tune of $20+ mil from what I heard...

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yeah, he and Bolton are both top tier prospects IMO. Parsons may be generational. They'd all be incredible behind our line.
Wonder if Parsons falls at all since he sat out. Rousseau from Miami was considered to be a potential top 5 pick heading into this season and he opted out and most mocks now have him going in the 20s. Rondale Moore from Vanderbilt was also considered a top 15 pick and now is being projected in most mocks to go in the 2nd round.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don’t see the issue in signing him to a minimum contract with easy out clauses if he’s not healthy. He’s not going to find a better deal elsewhere and if he can get back to 80% of what he was he’s an upgrade on everyone but Holcomb. We obviously have no idea where he is physically so if it’s clear he’ll never recover I could understand cutting bait but I think LB is our second biggest position of need behind QB and I don’t see the downside to bringing him back in hopes of his rehab going well.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The only move to make. The 5-1 record last year was misleading in terms of dissecting Smith's impact on the offense's performance and his cap hit in no way was worth his contributions on the field. Chances are far more likely than not that he's not built any more to withstand the rigors of a full NFL season and without his mobility he's much less effective. And it sounds like Alex wants a fresh start too.

I will always be an Alex fan and I wish him well. His story is amazing and he brought much needed professionalism and stability to the team. Just sucks that he's another in the long line of "what if's" for this franchise. What if Dan didn't fire Marty, what if ST21 wasn't murdered, what if RGIII never got hurt, what if Alex didn't get hurt when they were 6-3, etc.

Reactions: Corby78

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
....what if Alex didn't get hurt when they were 6-3, etc.

They'd still be a .500 team, Bruce Allen would still be here and so would Jay Gruden and we'd continually be sold the same false bill of goods about how great the culture is around the team.

EDIT: Alex Smith getting hurt might have been the best thing that ever happened to this club. It opened the doors to showing how dysfunctional and how much of a mess this club really was.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They'd still be a .500 team, Bruce Allen would still be here and so would Jay Gruden and we'd continually be sold the same false bill of goods about how great the culture is around the team.

EDIT: Alex Smith getting hurt might have been the best thing that ever happened to this club. It opened the doors to showing how dysfunctional and how much of a mess this club really was.
I think you're making a lot of assumptions that likely aren't true. The NFCE was going likely to be trash regardless of whether or not Smith got hurt so maybe they're a perennial playoff team with him behind center. Not likely a legit contender but at least respectable. And if they weren't winning then Bruce and Jay would have been gone anyway -- .500 football wouldn't have kept them in their jobs since Smith was all Allen's doing and Jay had been there for years already. Fan patience would still have been shit, and maybe even more so, if there was no clear reason that they sucked; with Smith out my worry was Bruce could convince Dan that they were 6-3 with him there and that all would be fine and this wasn't his fault. If Smith never got hurt and they sucked then there was no excuse.

They also wouldn't have drafted Dwayne Haskins if Alex never got hurt so that 2019 draft would look totally different.

Anyway, no need to rehash history at this point. Galdi summed up my feelings exactly. Onwards.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad