OT: Washington Football Team 2021 Offseason Thread 2: Roster Roulette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
We do understand your point.

We just don’t agree w it.

10m for a back up is wasted salary, unless you *truly* expect the guy to start some games (or play in all games like Hill does).

you are basing stud QB’s at 30-40m. We get that part and agree. But there really isn’t such thing as a “stud back up” QB. Or else they aren’t a back up (save Steve Young to Joe Montana).

you also won’t have a team spending 35m on a starter and then another 10m on a back up. Foolish use of space.

Teams that have a 35 mil a year QB don’t need a 10 mil QB2. Teams with questions about their QB1, like Vegas, do.

Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Shit I remember when Rypien held out after winning the super bowl and signed a 3 year 9 mil deal. QB2’s make a lot of money now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...34de9c21107/?no_nav=true&tid=a_classic-iphone

Reading this article reminded me that Stan Humphries was traded soon after. Big what if on keeping Humphries.

IINM, he hurt his knee in the first game back after his holdout, and frankly his career as a starter effectively ended right then and there. He played some more games but spent the rest of his career doing one year stints as a backup. The Redskins let him go before they drafted Shuler in 94.

Crazy to think that 3x3M was enough to hold out for the SB MVP, and now its tip money.

Reactions: Jacoby4HOF66

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
IINM, he hurt his knee in the first game back after his holdout, and frankly his career as a starter effectively ended right then and there. He played some more games but spent the rest of his career doing one year stints as a backup. The Redskins let him go before they drafted Shuler in 94.

Crazy to think that 3x3M was enough to hold out for the SB MVP, and now its tip money.

Yeah oops, memory issues again. It was 93 that he fell apart. 92 he played all 16 games but not at a high level. So he didn't finish his 3x9 deal.

Reactions: Jacoby4HOF66

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I don’t disagree. But that’s not the same as saying “the going rate” for a back up is 10m. That’s all I’m saying.
I hear you and understand. I could of worded things clearer.

For the Vegas scenario 10 mil for a MM type QB is the going rate. For a scenario like CLE with Mayfield 5 mil for Case Keenum is the going rate. How’s that?

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I’m not gonna quibble about the price both in terms of contract and draft capital to acquire a QB. I just really hope we get the right player.

That being said, I can easily envision a scenario where WFT isn’t really in a position to make their play THIS offseason. If that is the case keep building the roster and keep drafting up front on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Not having the draft capital to compete isn’t the same as not wanting to compete.

they don’t have the assets to pay for DW sadly.

I mean it's not like the WFT have less draft capital than normal. They just have normal draft capital.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’m not gonna quibble about the price both in terms of contract and draft capital to acquire a QB. I just really hope we get the right player.

That being said, I can easily envision a scenario where WFT isn’t really in a position to make their play THIS offseason. If that is the case keep building the roster and keep drafting up front on both sides of the ball.

I’ve been envisioning them burning a year for a while when they get left standing in Musical QBs.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I mean it's not like the WFT have less draft capital than normal. They just have normal draft capital.

they can’t outbid the competitors because the others have more and higher picks this year or later and players to freely trade away in a rebuild.

So no, they don’t have the same arrows in the quiver IMO.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
they can’t outbid the competitors because the others have more and higher picks this year. So no, the don’t have the same arrows in the quill.

Not the same arrows, but they could add arrows. And catapults. I just think that if they really wanted to join in the mix, that wouldn't stop them.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not the same arrows, but they could add arrows. And catapults. I just think that if they really wanted to join in the mix, that wouldn't stop them.

we don’t have a top-3 pick....I think that hurts us...also being a team on the swing up, that further hurts the value of future picks...

we’re at a severe disadvantage in trade capital IMO.

Reactions: ynotcaps

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
we don’t have a top-3 pick....I think that hurts us...also being a team on the swing up, that further hurts the value of future picks...

Well then let's just use our draft capital to build up the team lol.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Well then let's just use our draft capital to build up the team lol.

I think they’ll continue to do that and try to draft a guy at this point unless a miracle happens in a trade. Draft new guys, age out the old....rinse repeat. It’s the cycle we’re stuck in now until they get a legit QB.

Reactions: tenken00

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

I agree, and I'm actually glad. Now that we've got what appear to be sober adults in charge, I'd like to give them the chance to actually build the team through smart drafting and targetted FA pick-ups at fair-market value. If there's a trade to be made that makes us better without also making us worse, then terrific.
What I would hate to see is a trade that sends multiple years' 1sts and one or 2 defensive starters for a QB that improves at that position but makes our D worse and prevents us from filling other holes. That's exactly what a DW trade would do (not that our 1sts, to th epoints made above, would even put us in the discussions.) But that was rumored to be the proce for Stafford, and I'm glad we didn't pay it.
More I've thought about it, the more I would be OK with taking a shot on Mac Jones at #19 if he's there. Still not my preference, but I don't think it's as dangerous a pick in terms of value-exchange as any of the other QBs not named Lawrence, espcially given how much higher they are all expected to go.
If you're going to miss on a 1st Rd QB, better to do it at 19 than in top 5.
(That said, I'd love to see an ILB or a WR if there's one there and the value is right.)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think it’s at best 50/50 that Max Jones (or Trey Lance) is around at 19. If he is, they take him. If he’s not, then there will have been a run on QB’s which means a lot of other extremely talented players will be available.

save edge rusher, they can literally take any BPA that falls to 19. OT, LB, DB, WR (OG, C, TE won’t have players high enough there to be available — Pitts is the only one worth it, and he won’t make it to 10) which fits well for the teams structure anyway.

it should be an easy draft from that standpoint. Really can’t go wrong. Take the QB, or take the BPA that fills one of the aforementioned holes.

Reactions: Neil Racki

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I agree, and I'm actually glad. Now that we've got what appear to be sober adults in charge, I'd like to give them the chance to actually build the team through smart drafting and targetted FA pick-ups at fair-market value. If there's a trade to be made that makes us better without also making us worse, then terrific.
What I would hate to see is a trade that sends multiple years' 1sts and one or 2 defensive starters for a QB that improves at that position but makes our D worse and prevents us from filling other holes. That's exactly what a DW trade would do (not that our 1sts, to th epoints made above, would even put us in the discussions.) But that was rumored to be the proce for Stafford, and I'm glad we didn't pay it.
More I've thought about it, the more I would be OK with taking a shot on Mac Jones at #19 if he's there. Still not my preference, but I don't think it's as dangerous a pick in terms of value-exchange as any of the other QBs not named Lawrence, espcially given how much higher they are all expected to go.
If you're going to miss on a 1st Rd QB, better to do it at 19 than in top 5.
(That said, I'd love to see an ILB or a WR if there's one there and the value is right.)

I mostly agree, but I also believe an MVP-level QB, offsets a lot of other negatives such as the loss of a starter (or 2)....

I think WFT is out on DW only because they don’t have enough to outbid the competition...and not be completely gutted.

A true rebuilding team relishes being gutted....but that’s not our lot now...

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Not having the draft capital to compete isn’t the same as not wanting to compete.

they don’t have the assets to pay (outbid) for DW sadly.
They want to compete. They were the high bid for the WR ( I can’t think of his name) that resigned in DAL and they were in on trying to get Stafford. The current organizational rep and not having enough to outbid is a hinderance. Having said that, I don’t see RR as the entire draft and some to get a player like Watson.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I think it’s at best 50/50 that Max Jones (or Trey Lance) is around at 19. If he is, they take him. If he’s not, then there will have been a run on QB’s which means a lot of other extremely talented players will be available.

save edge rusher, they can literally take any BPA that falls to 19. OT, LB, DB, WR (OG, C, TE won’t have players high enough there to be available — Pitts is the only one worth it, and he won’t make it to 10) which fits well for the teams structure anyway.

it should be an easy draft from that standpoint. Really can’t go wrong. Take the QB, or take the BPA that fills one of the aforementioned holes.
I would take any of those positions gladly at 19. Kinda hoping for JO-K, ILB from ND, though there's a good chance he'll be gone by then.
Completely onboard with filling the few defensive holes and winning every game 6-3. Of course, that means we'd need to find a K...

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I dont think we need to chase a TE anymore. Logan showed alot this season, Ill be fine with him being TE1 again. We can bring in another one to have a 2 TE lineup but its not a glaring need like last season.

Reactions: max21

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I dont think we need to chase a TE anymore. Logan showed alot this season, Ill be fine with him being TE1 again. We can bring in another one to have a 2 TE lineup but its not a glaring need like last season.
100 agree. I’d welcome either a back up TE in the draft (3rd rd or higher) and/or one of the many vets that will be available for a song.

Reactions: Corby78

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
A TE like Rudolph at this point in his career would be a compliment to Thomas, not a replacement.

Just shared that news because DC needs a viable #2 TE and adding a vet like Rudolph is one possible way. Drafting a TE is another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad