Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Why would they cut him? He is signed to a backup QB contract and unless Carr gets hurt MM’s cap hit won’t come close to 18 mil.

$10.5M is not cheap for a backup, but yeah that's a backup type contract. If he were to be traded it would be to start, so it looks more like $18M, which he hasn't proven he's worth yet.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Really hope we don’t overpay for a receiver via free agency. Robinson or Golladay are the hot names but will come with a huge price tag. I’d rather go after the Corey Davis or Marvin jones tier of receivers. Curtis Samuel also
When in doubt, Carolina connection it out (Bridgewater and Samuel) for combined 30m. Watch and wait. LB or OL at 19, then fill accordingly with BPA the rest of the draft.

probably sign a CB as well in FA.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Mac Jones is certainly shooting up draft boards, one year college QB wonder? Not that mobile? What could go wrong. Sign me the f up

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
He's the highest paid back up in the league. The only player who makes close to what Mariota does is Taysom Him in New Orleans.
With the top guys making 30-40 mil a year now the backup price is gonna go up as well. Especially for 27 year old former #2 overall picks.

And if Taysom Hill is worth 16 mil this year then MM is worth 10.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
With the top guys making 30-40 mil a year now the backup price is gonna go up as well. Especially for 27 year old former #2 overall picks.

And if Taysom Hill is worth 16 mil this year then MM is worth 10.
Taysom was signed to that contract as they knew Brees has little time left. PLUS Hill actually plays every game. Mariota doesn’t.

Mariota is way overpaid for a back up. But if this is a hill you want to die on, we cannot stop you good sir.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Taysom was signed to that contract as they knew Brees has little time left. PLUS Hill actually plays every game. Mariota doesn’t.

Mariota is way overpaid for a back up. But if this is a hill you want to die on, we cannot stop you good sir.

Not sure why it’s hard for you and others to understand when the top QBs are making 30 to 40 mil a year the price for back up QBs go up as well. Especially 27 year old backups that can potentially still be a starter.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Isn't the problem the incentives? As a backup his contract is tolerable because he only gets paid close to a starter level if the starter goes down. If you bring him in as QB1 it's going to cost you that full starter (but not star) amount.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Not sure why it’s hard for you and others to understand when the top QBs are making 30 to 40 mil a year the price for back up QBs go up as well. Especially 27 year old backups that can potentially still be a starter.

I think theres a middle ground here and you and others are talking about 2 slightly different things. The average backup QB does not make or justify 10M per. A handful of borderline backup/starter QBs like MM or Tyrod Taylor or Teddy Bridewater could demand 10M per.

18 qbs are set to make 10M or more next year. Once Alex Smith and Teddy Bridgewater are cut, Big Ben restuctures and Drew brees retires .. there will be 14 QBs making 10M or more next year.

NFL Rankings

No = back up Qbs dont make on average 10M per year.
Yes = a good backup will cost you close to 10M per.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I think theres a middle ground here and you and others are talking about 2 slightly different things. The average backup QB does not make or justify 10M per. A handful of borderline backup/starter QBs like MM or Tyrod Taylor or Teddy Bridewater could demand 10M per.

18 qbs are set to make 10M or more next year. Once Alex Smith and Teddy Bridgewater are cut, Big Ben restuctures and Drew brees retires .. there will be 14 QBs making 10M or more next year.

NFL Rankings

No = back up Qbs dont make on average 10M per year.
Yes = a good backup will cost you close to 10M per.

Yes there is a scale. 30 or younger back up QBs that still have starter potential, like Hill and MM, can command 10 mil a year as a backup. Old backups like Fitzpatrick or Dalton and career backups like Henne, Keenum, McCarron and Daniels make between 2 and 5 mil a year.

But still as the price for the top QBs go up so will the price for backups.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Isn't the problem the incentives? As a backup his contract is tolerable because he only gets paid close to a starter level if the starter goes down. If you bring him in as QB1 it's going to cost you that full starter (but not star) amount.

Yes incentives are the issue for any team that would trade for MM. Which ever team trades for him would have to budget 18 mil in cap space in case MM starts 16 games.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
We do understand your point.

We just don’t agree w it.

10m for a back up is wasted salary, unless you *truly* expect the guy to start some games (or play in all games like Hill does).

you are basing stud QB’s at 30-40m. We get that part and agree. But there really isn’t such thing as a “stud back up” QB. Or else they aren’t a back up (save Steve Young to Joe Montana).

you also won’t have a team spending 35m on a starter and then another 10m on a back up. Foolish use of space.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

I was hoping this was the case. Whew.

It's an amazing feeling to read that your team is taking a sane, rational approach to roster-building.
And the fact that the above statement is true is a sad, sad testament to the last 20-plus years of Redball Team football.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad