Confirmed with Link: Washington Caps Trade Perreault to Anaheim...

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
This team is better with Wilson and Latta on it than MattyP.

I like MP, but this move make the team better. Your bottom line guys need to be defensively responsible or bangers, MP was neither.

And who cares about the return? Traded a 6th rounder for a 4th rounder, seems ok to me.

I agree with you, but I expected something better in return. I'm not losing sleep with this move though. Most of us have been wanting a bigger team so now we're getting our chance. I would find if funny if MattyP scores 40 goals this year, not that I believe it. This should be an interesting season.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
who? Ward? Erat? No other other teams would take those contracts.

You make some calls...see who would take who. Ducks would take Perreault. You make it.

Yeah I'm not losing sleep over it. I rather see this team be tougher to compete against. MattyP may have heart, but he will get destroyed in the reformed Patrick division.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
MP could slot on any of line and even play a little wing.
When has Boudreau or Hunter or Oates ever used Perreault as a left wing? It simply wasn't in the cards for him. Hell, Oates used Volpatti, Hendricks, and an ice cold Chimera on the top line without giving Perreault a shot there.

I watched the Bruins and the Hawks just win SC's with this outdated mode of thinking.
The Hawks had guys like Frolik and Kruger in their bottom six. The Bruins had Ryder, Seguin, and Peverley. Not every player in on a lower line has to be a grinder. Having scoring depth and guys who can carry play are positive things.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
who? Ward? Erat? No other other teams would take those contracts.

You make some calls...see who would take who. Ducks would take Perreault. You make it.

As for the players you mentioned, I wouldn't have traded for Erat in the first place, but I'm not in the game :).

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Yeah I'm not losing sleep over it. I rather see this team be tougher to compete against. MattyP may have heart, but he will get destroyed in the reformed Patrick division.
this is precisely why this move was made.

Latta and Wilson on the roster and Perreault not is why this move is made.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Imagine we had Forsberg instead of Erat? We would have plenty of room. GMGM for the win.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Let's call it like it is. McPhee was forced to dump MP85. More inept asset management, but it's not like its a franchise killer. Just another feather of accomplishment for GMGM....

Liberati0n*

strungout as Vince Gilligan:

2yGAPCf.gif

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

So two rookies are the difference in this team being tougher to compete against?!? Lord help us....

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
perrault is only useful if playing the top 6, i would have gotten rid of him before any other forward. the return is little but at least he's in the western conference.

Icetime

Oct 28, 2006
LA
Wait what's going on around here? Caps traded a mega tweener 160 pound bottom 6 player who was in the way if they wanted to keep up a prospect like Tom Wilson and half the board freaks out?

Who cares what the got for Perrault. He is a useless player for any team that aspires to actually go deep in the playoffs. Let's be reality.

Lots of NHL caliber skill, but 85 is a fools gold NHL player. IMO.

Last edited:

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Having a $1M call option on a Dany Briere late-blooming type has got to be worth more than that to some team and I have trouble believing there wasn't a way to buy three weeks of regular season while Wilson plays his nine games; showcasing, maybe getting creative with the waiver wire, and not taking a ****** contract back would have been nice.

Worst-case scenario of #43 fading in his first five games and MP finally putting together some consistency this season isn't that awful, but this just doesn't seem like a gamble that needed to have been made right now.

Anyways, good luck and thanks for the memories, machoo purretu....

34sl1u9.jpg

eaqyid.gif

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Wait what's going on around here? Caps traded a mega tweener 160 pound bottom 6 player who was in the way if they wanted to keep up a prospect like Tom Wilson and half the board freaks out?

Who cares what the got for Perrault. He is a useless player for any team that aspires to actually go deep in the playoffs. Let's be reality.

Lots of NHL caliber skill, but 85 is a fools gold NHL player. IMO.

Exactly!

This is a nothing move for both sides. Salary needed to be dumped and a spot needed to be opened up. Done and done. MattyP was expendable.

He will score ten goals as a Duck, Wilson will hopefully do the same, plus bring a physical presence MP never could.

Added bonus we get to see what we have in Latta and if that Forsberg trade sucked as bad as we all think it did.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Every specific decision can be justified on some sort of grounds, but in totality it's random motion, or more exactly -- continuous and often undisciplined reactions to immediate circumstances, rather than a strong vision of what the team needs and how to build towards it, while squeezing the most out of what is available.
I sort of get it...they want to get harder to play against. It's just that their longstanding concept of the term seems pretty stale and hasn't really tended to apply to their drafted players outside of Ovechkin, Alzner & Wilson. There's a reason why McPhee needed to have an epiphany in order to prioritize a player like Wilson. Many of their other first rounders still in the lineup are in a lot of ways the exact opposite of hard to play against beyond their raw skill level.

That lack of pervasive org. attitude is perhaps what they're working towards but I'm not sure Oates is really that type of coach. He certainly doesn't come across as such. He has said he's going to focus a lot more on decision-making and such this season but can he be a cut-and-dry type of coach? Dropping Perreault is perhaps his initial cut-and-dry assessment. In that sense I can get behind the move but there's a lot more at play that they need to tackle beyond mere truculence.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I think a lot of fans are just used to players and afraid of change. Then there is the side who look at giving out poor contracts and not having to make moves in the first place. There is always the potential having a trade come back and haunt teams, but in this case Perreault goes to a Western team. This deal has some logic to it, but the Erat/Forsberg still makes my mind spin. I think the best case scenario for Perrault is he has a successful NHL career like Andrew Brunette did. The worst case is he becomes another Jaorslav Svejkovsky and an after thought.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It is curious that no coach we've have has ever really put their faith in Perreault. He's been in both Boudreau's and Oates' doghouse on more than one occasion. I've never seen a coach hang a player out to dry at a press conference the same way Oates did after Perreault got lit up and injured in the neutral zone against the Flyers last year.

Was Perreault a useful depth player? Absolutely. But if the coaches weren't going to trust him, his talents would be wasted here anyway.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Right. I like Perreault, and I'll miss him from a quirks/personality standpoint, but the biggest issue is this is a conscious decision to make the bottom 6 worse for the sake of carrying that 23rd man (it seems). That just can't be justified.

It's George, people.

Why anyone is surprised, I have no idea. Expectations simply need to be checked at the door, when looking at anything George does. Once in a while, something good happens.....but it's usually offset with a few stupid things, and then of course the early playoff meltdown.

On to this years version!!:laugh:

butters8814*

Why is everyone on this board talking about mp85 like we just traded a young pavel bure. It saved salary, and made the team bigger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad