Confirmed with Link: Washington Caps Trade Perreault to Anaheim...

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Why is everyone on this board talking about mp85 like we just traded a young pavel bure. It saved salary, and made the team bigger.

Well because we all grew on him over time, he had one of the best contract -> performance ratio IMO and losing Hendricks / matty P we lost a lot of character and heart. I think most feel the return should have been a little better Is all.

I think Wilson will ease the pain a bit from this truthfully.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
I'll miss Perreault. All the best in Anaheim. I think he may have more opportunity and time there.

Rebeiro gone.
Hendricks gone.
Schultz gone.
Poti gone.

Lesser players, Crabb and Wolski gone.

Lots of turnover. 7 players.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
90-19-8
21-84-20
16-10-43
25-83-42
46/24

27-52
4-74
38-58

Take out 58 and replace with 47. 58 is too puny and we already have Green and Carlson on the pp.

Unless ... you think 58 should be on the 2nd pp instead of Carlson? Or on the first pp instead of Green?

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
The absurd over-reaction in this thread to the movement of a marginal asset reminds me of the Della Rovere trade thread.

If a player doesn't have a place in your lineup, then you trade him for what you can get. Period.

What the hell are we even talking about here? The same people that piss and moan about McPhee "protecting his nuts" every trade deadline are now throwing a tantrum about McPhee not protecting a role player that the coach deemed not to be worthy of a top-9 spot? This earth-shattering decision to move a healthy scratch merits hyperventilation?

SDR just signed a two-way AHL/ECHL this week, btw.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Why is everyone on this board talking about mp85 like we just traded a young pavel bure. It saved salary, and made the team bigger.

Not everyone is. This is called preseason boredom and something to chat about. I don't think many really cares honestly.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'll miss Perreault. All the best in Anaheim. I think he may have more opportunity and time there.

Rebeiro gone.
Hendricks gone.
Schultz gone.
Poti gone.

Lesser players, Crabb and Wolski gone.

Lots of turnover. 7 players.

First round exits provide for player turnover ratios. I liked Hendricks a lot and wasn't opposed to Ribeiro because I thought we had not chance at Grabo. The rest on that list were fringe NHL players. Personally, this is one of the better off seasons.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
As mentioned above the gifs were the only good thing Mp85 provided. People liked him cause hes small and he worked hard. He has been a wasted roster spot his entire time here imo. He is not good enough to be a top 6 and really doesnt have the characteristics of the bottom six.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I don't like the trade. Dealing a ~1M youngster (while taking a low pick and nothing player) for cap space, still being over the cap and keeping Ward, Volpatti and Laich, great management.

He has been a wasted roster spot his entire time here imo. He is not good enough to be a top 6 and really doesnt have the characteristics of the bottom six.
This wasted roster spot had more points than any top line player last playoffs. I wonder what is his reason to be hated by coaches and the GM. Probably "not big enough".

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
This wasted roster spot had more points than any top line player last playoffs.

Yes, any intelligent team will gladly say we will stop the top line of Ovi, Backs and whoever and allow MP85 to beat us if they can. Besides 4 pts isnt exactly lightning it up in a secondary scoring role. The caps have no secondary scoring for another team to focus on. So moving him and giving someone else a shot is better then wasting a spot.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
if ( George == ok/adequate/genius GM )
expect Wilson -> roster
expect Laich -> Kulemin
expect ? -> 2LD
expect Kuz -> LW
expect Cup -> Washington
}
else
abandon all hope, it's pointless to argue on the web board
}

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Yes, any intelligent team will gladly say we will stop the top line of Ovi, Backs and whoever and allow MP85 to beat us if they can. Besides 4 pts isnt exactly lightning it up in a secondary scoring role. The caps have no secondary scoring for another team to focus on. So moving him and giving someone else a shot is better then wasting a spot.

4 pts in 7 low-scoring games with team-leading +3 is perfectly fine for a 3rd liner. Perreault is a decent 3C with some potential, not "wasted space".
But I'm not talking about that. We have 10 players who would make better salary dumps, but instead we are still stuck over the cap choosing who of average wingers will convert to center position. Amazing.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Totally agree with you about other players to banish. I could stand Laich when he was cheap but he has to be one of the most overpaid players in the league for what he brings to the team. I dont care about his supposed locker room leadership and other crap that none of us actually know about it. He doesnt produce and is not a 2nd line center.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
As mentioned above the gifs were the only good thing Mp85 provided. People liked him cause hes small and he worked hard. He has been a wasted roster spot his entire time here imo. He is not good enough to be a top 6 and really doesnt have the characteristics of the bottom six.

:shakehead I guess you must have missed the first game after Ovechkin was suspended for his hit on the Pens Michalek. Let me refresh your memory, it was against the defending SC Champs the Boston Bruins and all Purretu did was score a hat trick in that game which the Caps won without Ovechkin in the line up. Wasted roster spot, hardly!

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
1378113_10151878548702453_730130880_n.jpg

versus more of this

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I was a big supporter of MP but he was a tweener for sure and we all saw that. Sucks to see him go but the trade was good.

Love that Wilson and Latta are on the team and we didn't let go of Volpatti. To me it follows along what I believed the Caps are doing...getting tougher to play against. This move is a clear indication of that.

“In the playoffs, we made a note after one of the games,†Capitals GM George McPhee said after he drafted Tom Wilson during the 2012 draft. “It was to remember these games when we’re at the draft. Remember how intense they are, how demanding they are, how physical they are, and make sure we get someone who wants to play in that kind of stuff.â€

Trading the smallest guy on the team to make cap room for the new largest guy on the team is no coincidence.

Shows to me McPhee, as I strongly suspected, is finally shifting his view to field a nastier team over the last couple years.

Good luck to MP in Anaheim but this is the right move.

RE: Asset Management...what the heck did anyone here think we were going to get for MP anyhow? Even if we traded him last year at best he'd garner a 3rd rounder or some marginal return.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

because to a large portion of the posters here the general manager is very unpopular. his moves are rarely popular. marshall was right this is no big deal one way or the other. this is trading glen metropolit.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
My biggest problem is that we don't have center depth...we have the illusion of center depth

Backstrom - #1C
Grabovski - Probably gone after this year
Laich, Fehr, Kuznetsov, Johansson, Erat....all better playing at wing
Beagle - #4C

It's entirely possible that we have to use 2 of Laich, Fehr, Kuznetsov, Johansson, or Erat as our #2 and #3 centers next year. Not the recipe for a championship.

It's not like Matty P was a wonderful option in those slots, but why aren't we trading from our winger depth? Cough Cough Chimera

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
My biggest problem is that we don't have center depth...we have the illusion of center depth

Backstrom - #1C
Grabovski - Probably gone after this year
Laich, Fehr, Kuznetsov, Johansson, Erat....all better playing at wing
Beagle - #4C

It's entirely possible that we have to use 2 of Laich, Fehr, Kuznetsov, Johansson, or Erat as our #2 and #3 centers next year. Not the recipe for a championship.

It's not like Matty P was a wonderful option in those slots, but why aren't we trading from our winger depth? Cough Cough Chimera

RE : Chimera

You guys do know that he is left handed and thus in Oates' system he is a left wing right?????

We are full on RW but not LW. Chimera is bigger, faster, grittier and shows up consistently when it matters. Would have been stupid to get rid of him seeing how our LWs are shaping up.

MJ, Erat, Laich, Chimera

If Laich or Erat plays 3C then we are real thin at LW so Chimera was never in doubt.

The 3C, IMO, needs to be better defensively than Perrault was. Erat, Laich and Fehr are all better defensive players than MP and bigger to boot.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Not sure what people think of 85 in the big picture....there is plenty to like and root for but in the end where do people see him? Can he handle full-time scoring line duty, and be productive? I think its unlikely he cements himself as that kind of NHL player. He is probably what we see now.....a like-able skilled energy guy who can play a couple forward positions. Maybe he turns into Martin St. Louis but I wouldnt bet the house on that one.

As for 90, he is just about to turn 23 (where as 85 will be 26 in January).....I think its very fair to say that there is more potential for growth for 90

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Rouse is right it follows the trend to be physically tougher to play against. In his defense, he was not as injury prone as his size would lead one to think. But he added some much needed puck possession/passing ability in our bottom 6, when called upon. Never out of place pinch hitting on the PP. We traded skill for toughness, but lost a little flexibility to roll 3 scoring lines, and scoring C injury depth.

I think this came down to making room for Latta. We lost a bottom 6C, but added one. The wingers converting to C aside, I think this is about Latta.

MJ Back O | Rat Grab Brow

Cluster **** in our overpaid bottom 6.

Laich Fehr Wilson
Chimera Latta Ward

Laich has to be at LW otherwise we have too many right twigs

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
RH

Good point...It basically was Latta or Perrault and quite frankly Latta is a better fit as a bottom 6 players based solely on his style of play.

We will field a bigger lineup and a grittier one. MP didn't back down but he doesn't have the hitting or the size that our lineup so needs.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
I don't like the trade. Dealing a ~1M youngster (while taking a low pick and nothing player) for cap space, still being over the cap and keeping Ward, Volpatti and Laich, great management.

This wasted roster spot had more points than any top line player last playoffs. I wonder what is his reason to be hated by coaches and the GM. Probably "not big enough".

who cares what his point total was in a 1st round exit.....like being the prettiest girl in Laurel....

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
PRO was a depth player for the 3rd or 4th line. Play him too long he'd become stale and would disappear in games and not really contribute, whereas after not dressing for a while and then finally getting a sweater he was a nice injection of energy into the line up who was not afraid to battle in front of the net and in the corners and along the boards even with his dimunitive size. He seemed to have a knack of anticipating where the puck was going to be. I'll miss that rah rah attitude that he and Hendricks displayed, it was evident that both of them cared. Just the same wasn't it around this time last year that a French Canadian Reporter was saying that PRO wanted to play full time for the team and not be a bit/role player and if that was not the case he wanted to go elsewhere. PRO was just that a bit/role player who added depth up the middle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->